Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostBill- A Formula for complete distruction.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostBill- A Formula for complete distruction.

TazTaz Member
edited June 2012 in General

First No monthly License and now no yearly but simply owned license?
http://hostbillapp.com/order/

Are they trying to cash in? I am lost with them!

Comments

• "Each new license purchase receives 30-days tech support. After 30 days period you can purchase additional tech-tickets at $15/ticket. "

So we have to PAY THEM for them to fix THEIR BUGS.

• vedranvedran Veteran

What's wrong with that?

• @vedran said: What's wrong with that?

Technically speaking why should anyone pay for tech tickets? if there product is playing up or screwed why should you pay?

• TazTaz Member

No wonder whmcs still rocks.

• RandyRandy Member

yeah hostbill sucks . they think they are worth that much money ?

• @MrLadoodle said: So we have to PAY THEM for them to fix THEIR BUGS.

I don't think this is related to bugs, just to support tickets. They are still required (by law in certain countries) to fix bugs for free.

• TazTaz Member

What It looks like is that they are trying to create a hostile situation.
    Those who got freaked by recent whmcs breach will look into hostbill as a better alternative.
    They will be forced to purchase yearly license.
    Once done, They will be forced to pay ticket fee thus making more profit off their whmcs ripoff codes.

• @NinjaHawk said: Once done, They will be forced to pay ticket fee thus making more profit off their whmcs ripoff codes.

Thats a pretty serious accusation you have made there, and im pretty sure its a false one, from what I have seen of the source code it has been coded in a very different way to WHMCS.

• @NinjaHawk said: What It looks like is that they are trying to create a hostile situation.

Those who got freaked by recent whmcs breach will look into hostbill as a better alternative.
    They will be forced to purchase yearly license.
    Once done, They will be forced to pay ticket fee thus making more profit off their whmcs ripoff codes.

I would say they are ripping off their customers, but not whmcs code.

• TazTaz Member

Their first few versions did had whmcs codes. Take a look at webhostingtalk for reference which was proven.

• @bijan588 said: I would say they are ripping off their customers, but not whmcs code.

Give it a few months and they will most likely change the policy again.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Their first few versions did had whmcs codes. Take a look at webhostingtalk for reference which was proven.

Actually there was two companies called HostBill at one point, one which EUKHost was using at one point, I know it confused the heck out of me, and that did look rather like WHMCS.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@DanielM said: Technically speaking why should anyone pay for tech tickets? if there product is playing up or screwed why should you pay?

I was actually referring to owned license. Paying for tickets sucks, but offering lifetime support is also a bad idea. They should have annual support plans instead.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You don't have to be cheap about everything ;)

I'll gladly pay for tickets, I haven't submitted one yet. However, we bought it and they said they weren't going to enforce that because people were whining.

• In regards to WHMCS being the original it is far from it:

http://www.blesta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255

So HostBill took inspiration, but so do WHMCS, and you can't deny that.

• TazTaz Member

Not being cheap but paying 200$ for a product which can go belly up in 2 year is not a great investment and considering they way they keep flipping their mind( reseller no reseller, monthly no monthly and more).

edited June 2012

Meh, anything could disappear tomorrow. My justification was the lack of a big target on their head. Anyone who takes that much money and doesn't hire a security guy...well I won't go there. Anyway, HostBill has been great for us so far, and I'm confident that if more people bought it he would be able to consider alternate routes. It's tough when you have a good product and you don't make enough on it to call it a job.

• subigosubigo Member

If I offered something like that it would be limited to an owned license only and paid support as well. To me, it just looks like they want to focus on creating the software, not dealing with low-level support. I have no problem with this at all.

Thanked by 1vedran
  • CoreyCorey Member

I agree - I will pay for support and own the product. I think you are just angry at the barrier to get started with hostbill. (Having to own a license to try it effectively.) I'm sure a lot of people use whmcs for nearly a year or more before getting an owned version.

• TazTaz Member

I used to have a whmcs owned license about 2 year ago( later sold it for some weird reason). But even though, whmcs pricing looked and still looks like a solid business plan. They will be making money every month and the way they cameback after that massive hack and did not simply shut their service off prooves the fact that they are here for a long run. Hostbill lacks any long term full proof features.

• TazTaz Member

And their support is slower than whmcs. Since if I am paying 15$/ticket I will take nothing less than 30 minute response time.

Why are you in such big need for support? If there is a major issue that you can't work around that stops you from doing business, you won't have to file a ticket, someone else will. Heck, if you find a major bug that effects the software, I'll file a ticket lol

• TazTaz Member

Support is the basic of everything.
    I believe and trust Murphy more than I trust my self and I do not want to be the one dangling in the middle.

edited June 2012

I mean the software works. Worst case scenario you reinstall. If it breaks because of a bug to the point that the software does not function as intended, one more ticket won't matter, the rest of the users will be going nuts. I bought Windows 98 and support was practically nonexistent. We buy products without support all the time.

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

Once 2co stopped working. Turned out 2co requires curlssl and won't work with curl( I had disabled curlssl for some testing purpose and forgot to.enable) nothing documented on whmcs or 2co. It took whmcs 1day to fix and in 1 day I lost 900$ worth of sales.

Similar issue with hostbill took around 3 week( trial license).
    Reinstall is not the solution for everything. Specially for a production environment.

Thanked by 1jar
  • subigosubigo Member

@NinjaHawk said: I used to have a whmcs owned license about 2 year ago( later sold it for some weird reason). But even though, whmcs pricing looked and still looks like a solid business plan. They will be making money every month and the way they cameback after that massive hack and did not simply shut their service off prooves the fact that they are here for a long run. Hostbill lacks any long term full proof features.

The only reason WHMCS survives (and will survive long term), is because the majority of the people paying for it are too dependent on it. A lot of them couldn't even switch away if they wanted to, because it would be too difficult (for them). Without WHMCS, they wouldn't be able to function, so they continue to pay. They sign-up for some reseller hosting plan somewhere, get WHMCS for free, build up a few clients... and all the while they hardly know how anything other than receiving a payment works.

WHMCS is the lowest common denominator.

• TazTaz Member

Don't get me wrong, I am used to paying 50$/hour for support related issue but that Support was solid and fast. If I have to pay 15$ I will need to get the quality.

And their current pricing reminds me of summer host( pay 10$/life for unlimited hosting) next thing you know, they are gone.

• TazTaz Member

@subigo agreed. But here is a thing, modules are encoded and not well documented, so ya, in that case, I need their support.

Good points.

• RandyRandy Member

its a owned license, so you wana make customers pay for a owned license? its not a monthly license.

We are paying for the owned license and i think we should be getting free support as we are paying more. i do understand per ticket chrages if its a monthly license