Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Anonymous - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Anonymous

2»

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2012

I haven't been to one either but I mean I am kind of a LEB addict right now.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@yomero said: Or someone deleted my post again

Or I am so lebaddict that I can't remember anymore :|

You are a lebaddict and you can't remember anymore (I can't find any posts from you deleted today)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@HalfEatenPie get some SSD LEBs bro. There are several offers already. You need it, trust me.

• @jcaleb if @GridVirt has a decent-priced SSD LEBs then I might go for one if its in the right price-range

• yomeroyomero Member

@vedran said: You are a lebaddict and you can't remember anymore (I can't find any posts from you deleted today)

OMFG
    My brain melted :S

Or the browser failed to POST... xD

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@HalfEatenPie prometeus and jhadley has some SSD's

• PhilPhil Member

@raindog308 said: Well, at least they do in the movies - I've never been at an AA meeting :-)

What about Backup Anonymous meetings ?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Phil said: What about Backup Anonymous meetings ?

My name is raindog308, and I am a backupaholic.

It started with a rsync, but only on the weekends.

Then it became every night.

Then I'd run a quick backup in the morning, just to get me going. Then another backup before I went to bed. Sometimes I'd login during the day just to do a "little" backup.

Lately I've been fooling around with Tarsnap even though I know that once you start down that path, it's hard to turn back.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I see how this started, ppl admitting they have a problem, then talking about a "fix" (the SSD stuff), then talking about another problem... Looks like an AA meeting gone wrong, like:
    -Hey, I am an alcoholic...
    -Me too...
    -Lets have a drink...
    -Yeah, well, I also do some crack...

A guy enters a phone booth and reads an add:
    "If you are an alcoholic, call this number:..."
    He does and it was a liquor store...

I mean talking about this on a leb board is like holding an AA meeting in a distillery...
    M

Thanked by 3Liam yomero NanoG6
  • KairusKairus Member

'Tis a joke Mao.

Mine too...
    M

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said: Frozen chicken chest about 4 EURO a Kg, apples 1 Euro, Oranges 50 cents in season, one euro outside (like now), 1 Euro milk, also yoghurt per liter, 3 Euro plus cheese. Only the cheapest considered.

Some things like bread are cheap, for example 1 Euro per Kg a regular loaf, the toast is 2 times that. Also eggs are 10 cents atm, but were double last winter and even more.

that's why I love Mexico <3 good things, cheap =D

edited June 2012

@netomx said: that's why I love Mexico <3 good things, cheap =D

You promised you will ignore me ? :P
    I would also like some examples of prices in Mexico, but some things cant compare. Here oranges dont grow, also agriculture means only a few months a year, plus extra costs with animals to store food and heat in the winter, etc.
    Heating should cost a lot less there but you spend more on AC...
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@raindog308 do you backup of flash drive, external hardisk, cd, dvd, and tapes?

• You could always give them away

@Maounique just when you get annoying :P

Well like an example, sometimed orage can get down to €0.2 a kilo ;D and gasoline is like €0.6 a liter

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jcaleb said: do you backup of flash drive, external hardisk, cd, dvd, and tapes?

No.

• flash drives are too small
    • hard drive really means running another server and they're too expensive electricity-wise.
    • CD/DVD is too big a pain for their small capacity.
    • there is no high-capacity, feasibly-priced home tape system, at least when I've looked

VPSes, shared hosting: 2 backup VPSes
    Customer stuff: same + Amazon S3 + one more backup service
    Home stuff: Dropbox, CrashPlan, Tarsnap

I do have a spare 300GB USB that I could mount up to my Tomato-USB router in order to have a local backup of things, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I would like to have more backups of stuff at home. CrashPlan has been very good but they could always go out of business. I wish I had more uplink at home...7mbps residential downlink DSL comes with only 1mbps uplink. I could get 200mbps downlink...but it's still only 1mbs uplink :-(

Back in the day, I did backup to encrypted hard drives which I'd lock in my desk at work...that was a pain and I am glad those days are gone.

edited June 2012

@netomx said: Well like an example, sometimed orage can get down to €0.2 a kilo ;D and gasoline is like €0.6 a liter

I was expecting that with oranges, also gasoline since you are non-eu and western hemisphere countries dont really care about pollution even like that.
    Here it is 1.4 Euro a liter. That doesnt stop traffic jams, I take a convoluted path with the subway/tube/metro however you call it and it takes less than 1/3 the time it takes by bus, even tho I have to exchange 2 of those and a short 2 stations by tram.
    Before the last line was finished I used to wake up at 5 AM to be at work at 6 to avoid traffic jam. Better stay at work than in traffic, in those hours I would do lots of things without the users calling every 10 minutes.

I think Romania is a great country to retire. Get a house here in the new suburbs, it is clean (since about 2 years) secure, cheap and organic if you know where to go. You can also hire someone to do the housekeeping, can do that for about 200 Euro for a full time job and about 100 for the basics (cleaning, cooking, groceries, bills)
    A house would not be so cheap as ppl expect, but you dont have to come in Bucharest, there are other towns where everything is even cheaper and the local producers closer, follow prince charles ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2065174/Prince-Charles-king--ROMANIA-revealing-related-Vlad-Impaler.html ) and go the Transylvania way.
    I am not joking, Romanian streets are very secure, for example in 2007 when the country joined EU we were going to celebrate the new year in the squares, about 700 k ppl were out in Bucharest that night, one London based friend told me I was mad and could get injured, nobody was injured apart from the regular fireworks maniacs.
    So, house about 50 K Euro a regular apartment in Bucharest, big house countryside with some serious land, modest upkeep including housemaid about 700 Euros private healthcare included for 2 ppl. Many romanians do just that, go work in western europe and retire here on those money. If they can do that in just about 5-10 years, everyone can do it.
    M

@Maounique some US citizens retire in Mexico, too. Some places are nice, clean, cheap, and the people is good =)

Perhaps, but the risk to be kidnapped here is about the same as getting killed by a meteorite. I have not heard of anyone being kidnapped for ransom, romanian or otherwise, tho occasionally westerners do die in the mountains or Germans at the Black Sea. 2500 m seem low, but the weather is really extreme there. A few beers and falling asleep in the sun at 30+ degrees on the Black Sea coast and you are gone without knowing it. I even resuscitated one a few years ago. Black Sea is not the the Baltic Sea, the sun is merciless in the middle of the summer.
    M

@Maounique said: you are gone without knowing it.

didnt get this

edited June 2012

I was talking about the German tourists that treat the Black Sea as the Baltic Sea.
    They drink a bit and go to sleep in the sun and they die in their sleep. Now with organized groups and such is much harder, but used to be one a week before at least, without counting drowning.
    M

• rds100rds100 Member

@Maounique interesting, haven't heard of any German tourists who died of too much sun here, however there are sometimes tourists who die of too much alcohol - fall from hotel balcony, etc.

edited June 2012

You dont hear of them here too, My uncle was working as a doctor in the summer there, it is not a publicized affair. I suspect in Turkey is just as bad if not worse, I was feeling sick there because of heat and I never drink.
    Because of drinking used to die in accidents swedes and other nordics usually, I dont know how it is now, perhaps much better because the things are much more professional and the guides are not some ppl fresh from academy where they studied languages.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@netomx is tijuana nice place? thats the only place i know in mexico because i am big fan of erik morales

@jcaleb nope :(