Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Anonymous
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Anonymous

HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
edited June 2012 in General

Hello,

My name is HalfEatenPie. And I have a problem.

I own too many LEBs.

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

why? impulse buying?

• AdamAdam Member

One of us! One of us! Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble!

Thanked by 1Asim
  • blackblack Member

Before, I never understood why women buy so many pairs of shoes and rarely wear them. Now I understand, it's the same thing with LEBs for me.

Thanked by 4NanoG6 Andri Chan Raymii
  • Please finish your pie, before you order again ;)

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm not an addict. I can cancel any time I want to. Really.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

well you can use it when the need arise.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

HalfEatenPie, did you get your dose of Linode yesterday? :-)

@raindog308 said: 'm not an addict. I can cancel any time I want to. Really.

Yes, we believe you. I think you need a new layer of backup for your backup of backups, don't you?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@prometeus said: Yes, we believe you. I think you need a new layer of backup for your backup of backups, don't you?

+1
    he is not leb addict. he is backup addict.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • gianggiang Veteran

Same as me, just canceled few lebs :D I ordered just for dd, wget =)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

what if your main backup got corrupted, and get copied to backup of backup? this is why im really considering using git as backup of backup. so that there is history, and i can get to a particular point in time and restore that backup.

• blackblack Member

But what if git gets corrupted?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

no... you have multiple backup of backups backing up your main backup. they should not be connected at all.

my problem if backup is not versioned and always latest copy, if latest is corrupted, and copied to all your backup of backup.... then everything is corrupt.

edit:
    btw, git knows when itself is corrupted.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jcaleb said: btw, git knows when itself is corrupted.

In theory, everything should know...
    I know better since it happened to have corrupted backups of backups. Fortunately, I could go back in time and restore files from older backups, but if it was a db or something... I dont want to think about it. And, no, replication wont work as corrupted DB will also replicate corrupted, the only way I can think of is (for example pg) pg_dumpall --clean > dateandtime every hour like a boss. I just made a cheap NAS with 4x2 TB drives in raid-z out of an old atom d525 MB with extra sata controller and I can throw at it lots of backups of the DBs.
    I think cheap multiple backups are better than an expensive but reliable one.
    M

edited June 2012

@liam said: I can provide counselling for $7 per minute (per vps) to help you deal with this crisis.

This will definitely make me come clean as I will finish "pocket money" in a few minutes so LEBs will go unpayd.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@liam said: I can provide counselling for $7 per minute (per vps) to help you deal with this crisis.

vps shrink?

edited June 2012

Well, here in the east winters are cold and summers hot, work aplenty and pay low... I make 400 EURO a month.
    M

• vedranvedran Veteran

LEB addiction is not really that bad, it does not hurt your physical health and it won't hurt you much financially either as long as you keep it reasonable.

On the other hand, most datacenters are powered with non-renewable energy meaning you are causing some pollution, also you are speeding up IPv4 depletion.

All in all, it's not really a problem.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@vedran said: LEB addiction is not really that bad, it does not hurt your physical health and it won't hurt you much financially either as long as you keep it reasonable.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/79177#Comment_79177

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Maounique 400 euro for a full day job?

• rds100rds100 Member

400 Euro for an IT job is too low even for Bulgaria, and i know salaries in Romania should be somewhat higher than in Bulgaria.

• Haha yup @jcaleb and now I have to add a few more to that list.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@HalfEatenPie maybe use your LEBs by reviewing each of them and post to community. either your own blog or let. So even if it has no use for you, it will have use for us.

• @jcaleb I'll look into that. I'm not really the best at reviewing but I can probably put something together.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@HalfEatenPie you could just write a script and output to html or something. automated.

@prometeus said: 400 euro for a full day job?

Haha, I know it sounds unbelievable, but it depends where are you working, not on what.
    For me it is enough as it is not the only income, I only needed it for insurance and stuff, moving jobs on a market that discriminates on gender and color is not easy and I dont like changing workplace often. 11 years ago I was working in a bank and it was worse, work from 7-23 and still we were to blame...
    At least here I can set everything the way I like, nobody to say "do it like that" and "I told you so" when **** happens. **** didnt happen in a long time, also, even like this, on 17th expires my... hum, what you call the time you still have to work after you sent the note you quit ?
    I did that in 15th of May, i have to work still 45 working days, then I take a few months vacation. They tried to hire someone else since I told them I go and so far everyone wants double at least and the boss doesnt even consider seeing those ppl. He imagines he will find even cheaper because, you know, it is crisis time.
    I don't need his money, this is the advantage of working on really low end of pay, you can fire your boss anytime.
    I consider moving into canada, I have 2 houses to sell and many savings plus investments. Just age might be a problem.
    M

• Damn, my pay being an intern at a certain IT company during uni year was at least 2x of that. Check your labor law you might be exploited.

• @cosmicgate said: Damn, my pay being an intern at a certain IT company during uni year was at least 2x of that. Check your labor law you might be exploited.

In which country did you intern? Eastern Europe (and Romania in particular) has different prices for living (and therefor different wages) than e.g. the USA

@gsrdgrdghd said: Eastern Europe (and Romania in particular) has different prices for living (and therefor different wages) than e.g. the USA

Hum, rent is 200+ in Bucharest for one decent room, food at minimum (if you cook) is about 150 (2 ppl making a lot of savings) Euro, utilities (without AC and heating) like 100 more. Last winter had in one month 200 Euro heating alone. Sure, in US is much more expensive, but we can compare to an average village there.
    A few examples of food (at hypermarket):
    Frozen chicken chest about 4 EURO a Kg, apples 1 Euro, Oranges 50 cents in season, one euro outside (like now), 1 Euro milk, also yoghurt per liter, 3 Euro plus cheese. Only the cheapest considered.
    Some things like bread are cheap, for example 1 Euro per Kg a regular loaf, the toast is 2 times that. Also eggs are 10 cents atm, but were double last winter and even more.
    Some prices are similar to hypermarket prices in EU countries like spain and italy. Fortunatelly, local producers are still delivering healthy and cheap food to the markets and in the summer you can buy at half price there, for example one kg of cucumbers is 20 cents or so right now, 3 times less than the hypermarket but in the winter there is no choice.
    Potatoes are also 20 cents there so you have a choice if you cook yourself and it is also much healthier as you know what is in there. My grandma died at 100 and her mother at 106, we dont really trust processed food.
    Hope you are not too bored :P I like sharing this kind of info with ppl around the world, this way you know better the countries and ppl very far away.
    M

Thanked by 2vedran Spirit
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: Hello,

My name is HalfEatenPie. And I have a problem.

I own too many LEBs.

Some non US/UK readers may not get the joke. At Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, attendees will stand up and stereotypically say "Hello, my name is John, and I am an alcoholic." Well, at least they do in the movies - I've never been at an AA meeting :-)

• yomeroyomero Member

Or someone deleted my post again
    Or I am so lebaddict that I can't remember anymore :|