Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMWare Exsi - How can I check what are the IPs assigned to my dedi and how do I assign IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMWare Exsi - How can I check what are the IPs assigned to my dedi and how do I assign IPs

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited June 2012 in Help

in Exsi 5, how can I check the IP addresses assigned to the dedicated server using command line client?
And if I have a 3 IPs, how can I assigned one of them to the VPS that I have created using vSphere client? And if I want to do IP NAT (i.e., port forwarding using the host machine IP to one of the VPS), how should I set things up?

Comments

• TazTaz Member

Disaster waiting to strike.

I will let fellow lebtians explain you the process.

• @NinjaHawk I do not know what you mean...why is a disaster to mention about VMWare?

• @MikHo Thanks but the tutorial is not helping me, I have already had the VMWare Exsi installed (the dedi server provider did that for me) and I have no idea how I can assign the IP to the virtual instance that comes with the box.

• lumaluma Member

@zhuanyi said: I have no idea how I can assign the IP to the virtual instance that comes with the box.

You assign them like it was a physical server. Install the OS and give it a static ip address just like you would on a physical server sitting on your desk.

The provider should of given you a range of ip's, gateway, network, network mask and broadcast.

• @luma The provider just gave me the main IP and the 2 additional IP I have, nothing else. Should I use the same gateway for the virtual instance as the gateway of my dedicated server?

• TazTaz Member

@zhunayi are you planning to vmware vps?

• lumaluma Member

@zhuanyi said: The provider just gave me the main IP and the 2 additional IP I have, nothing else. Should I use the same gateway for the virtual instance as the gateway of my dedicated server?

Yeah, try it. Should work fine. in ESXi not much has to be done for networking to work in simple setups like this.

• DamianDamian Member

@zhuanyi: it would be best to ask the provider what network settings you should use

• @NinjaHawk I have a dedi with Esxi installed, planning to set up a few VPS on it.
    AND nope, I am not selling them. For my own use only.

• @luma sure thanks a lot!

• lumaluma Member

@zhuanyi said: sure thanks a lot!

if it does not work ask the provider and they will tell you what needs to be done.

• @luma not sure for the unmanaged dedi I will get that answer...

• TazTaz Member

@zhuanyi Why not install xen or kvm in that case? Or even ovz? Or virtualbox? Would have been easier. Especially since you are going to use it your self.

• lumaluma Member

@zhuanyi said: not sure for the unmanaged dedi I will get that answer...

if they do to do something special for the ip's to work it is not considered management :)

they won't do it for you within ESX no, but give you the required details they sure should, if not move to a new provider.

But if your first IP and the other 2 are on the same subnet and are mapped to use the same gateway it should work fine. Just create a VM and try it. Takes no time at all to test it.

• @NinjaHawk I need at least one Windows VPS, so OVZ is out
    Xen-HVM has quite a bit of overhead, so that is out too
    KVM? No graphical interface for configuration and I have never used it (I have at least used VMWare before on my home desktop).

• Turns out I messed up the default gateway IP. Thanks for everyone's help!

• yomeroyomero Member

Welcome to the LEBAddicts club u_u

• @zhuanyi said: KVM? No graphical interface for configuration and I have never used it (I have at least used VMWare before on my home desktop).

virt-manager works with KVM.