Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wich linux should i run - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

wich linux should i run

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

fedora i think uses gnome 3

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

fedora always uses the latest and greatest...
    I find Ubuntu terrible also. Perhaps, as in the case with Apple thread, maybe we are too old and conservative, ordinary folk discover computers through their phone interface, as such, Metro and Unity might look more like home.
    M

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

lol, everyone has different opinions of their favorite distro. I, as the OP, will try first Debian.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I do not like the new ubuntu, tablet way is never my favorite...but thats just me :P

• yomeroyomero Member

@jcaleb said: fedora i think uses gnome 3

Proiperly, everything is moving to Gnome 3... which sucks u_u

Thanked by 1netomx

@yomero said: Gnome 3... which sucks u_u

I know :(

any other window manager that can be used? Maybe xfce ?

• nabonabo Member

@netomx said: any other window manager that can be used? Maybe xfce ?

Fluxbox!

@nabo said: Fluxbox!

it doesnt look so appealing :(

• ChanChan Member
    edited June 2012

Well if you guys are really that bothered there are official KDE, LXDE and Xfce spinoffs for Fedora http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Ubuntu also runs fine on an 1.3ghz i3 (which clocks down to 800mhz most of the time)

I was talking about a singlecore 1.6ghz Centrino/Pentium M from 2004/2005 :) A regular Ubuntu can get pretty slow on that Laptop.

@netomx Check out LXDE then, I really like it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @alfredino xubuntu runs OK on my 2004 laptop (P4 3.06 GHz with 768mb ram)

• nabonabo Member

@netomx said: it doesnt look so appealing :(

Well, it's a functional window-manager. I like it as it is reduced to the important stuff and you can tweak it easily to your liking.

I do not remember very well as I tried many distros but I think I managed to put xubuntu on a pentium 120 800x600 compaq armada DM1510 with 80 MB ram and 4 gb hdd.
    In the end stayed with puppy (lucid puppy).
    M

• xubuntu or lubuntu are great choices, both really easy on system resources, both very fast, and ubuntu repo obv very easy to use, and easy to find help with online.

• use any linux OS who use the txz file as their default packages..

• KairusKairus Member

If you want GNOME, use Fedora. If you want KDE, use OpenSUSE. IMO.

• yomeroyomero Member

@Kairus said: If you want GNOME, use Fedora. If you want KDE, use OpenSUSE. IMO.

yiak xDDDD

• OpenSuse or Debian in my opinion

• Debian Squeeze + xfce, with a few things installed from backports for latest versions (notably iceweasel). Stable and light on resources.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

mate is great from mint. it's gnome 2.x. but my only complaint is they have to change the name of many of its bundled software. e.g. gedit is called pluma. so when i invoke from command line, it's very confusing.

• gnome and kde can be absolutely brutal on older systems, esp newer versions, so xfce or lxce are the way to go. if you have a newer system, kde and gnome shouldn't be the bad, but even still IMHO they don't offer anything(I personally need) that kde offers.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2012

@Kairus said: If you want GNOME, use Fedora. If you want KDE, use OpenSUSE. IMO.

OpenSUSE has not been a KDE distro for at least 5 years, if I recall correctly. You get a choice during installation, and KDE/GNOME/XFCE are all equally well supported (can't speak for LXDE). The GNOME3 setup on OpenSUSE seems practically identical to that of Fedora.

• klikliklikli Member

If what you are picky about is desktop environment, why not just install debian and try that out one-by-one?

• yomeroyomero Member

@klikli said: If what you are picky about is desktop environment, why not just install debian and try that out one-by-one?

I think so
    And the real deal is that, about DE, not about distros. Every distro is almost the same as any other :P

@yomero said: I think so

And the real deal is that, about DE, not about distros. Every distro is almost the same as any other :P

If you compile from sources, maybe, otherwise the way it deals with packages, dependencies, can recover from mixups and such, is very important. I usually dont have the time to compile from sources and I install way too often for it because I manage too many machines and I am never able to remember what I did last time.
    M

• yomeroyomero Member

@Maounique said: If you compile from sources, maybe, otherwise the way it deals with packages, dependencies, can recover from mixups and such, is very important.

Agree, but, well, if is about software management, there are mainly 2 ways, the yum stuff, and the apt stuff. And sources, as you said.
    (Ok, and some uncommon stuff around)

Thanked by 1klikli
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@yomero said: Agree, but, well, if is about software management, there are mainly 2 ways, the yum stuff, and the apt stuff. And sources, as you said.

(Ok, and some uncommon stuff around)

OpenSuSE is a pretty big distro (one of the biggest) and it has its own package managers, both command-line and graphical. I believe Ubuntu has a different graphical frontend for the package manager as well from most distributions. And there are probably a few more (Arch Linux, etc).

• yomeroyomero Member

His own package manager is rpm based at the end.

And slack ? Damn, I miss it, lost days in the times of 386 sx 20 Mhz to compile the kernel just to squeeze a bit more unneded stuff from it since my 4 mb ram were not exactly aplenty...
    M

• nabonabo Member

Vectorlinux + Fluxbox + Opera (named Vectorlinux light). Running quite fine on 64MB RAM.