Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage/Backup VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage/Backup VPS

rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
edited June 2012 in General

Hello guys,

Im just wondering on the current demand for high storage VPS's, talking about 150GB upto several TB's, and within budget pricing ofcourse.

What would you go for, specs wise, if you want a high storage vps?

Regards

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

backup? I guess only bandwidth and storage are the important factors.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

As absolute requirements for a storage VPS, I would have:
    * Custom software allowed (I use Tahoe-LAFS for my storage grid, for example)
    * At least 256MB of RAM, 384-512MB if OpenVZ+burst (due to Tahoe-LAFS and it being Python)
    * Either unmetered traffic with low bandwidth (say, 20mbit) - or, preferably, burstable to at least 100mbit with a high amount of traffic (several terabytes).
    * An acceptable amount of (burst) CPU power, for storage solutions that use encryption. Doesn't have to be incredibly much, but a maximum capacity of for example 500mHz is not going to cut it. Doesn't have to be dedicated.
    * Reliability/RAID would not be very important to me, since Tahoe-LAFS already takes care of redundancy and fault-tolerance.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Buy a kimsufi with 1TB Disk lol

Thanked by 3nabo tux rm_

@joodle said: Buy a kimsufi with 1TB Disk lol

I already have a few storage nodes at OVH, and I'm trying to geographically distribute my nodes - so that wouldn't help much. And as far as I know there aren't very many providers offering Kimsufi-like servers.

• rds100rds100 Member

@joepie91 there are, but not at the same price ;-)

• SurgeSurge Member

I'm interested. A good offer would have this:

• 128-256mb ram
    • $25-40/Tb price range if RAID
    • Under $25 if no RAID
    • Low port speed is no good, should rather be limited total traffic w/ good burst speed.
    • CPU doesn't matter
  • Why would you have a back up storage with no redundancy

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@kkmlk said: Low port speed is no good, should rather be limited total traffic w/ good burst speed.

Is there some reason you need to have high throughput to get your backups stored? Is there any difference to you if you can transfer the data at a lower rate?

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012
    • 32-64MB RAM
    • cheap RAID space at $20/TB ratio
    • bandwidth can be limited to 1-10MBit/s
    • CPU does not matter (limit it to 100MHz if you like)
  • SurgeSurge Member

@miTgiB The faster the transfer - the shorter the backup window, and the snapshot on the source server can be released sooner. This means lower overhead on the source. Overall this also allows for more frequent backups.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Honestly, I hate this answer. That kimsufi has a single disk so there's no fault tolerance.

People who think "it's only backups" have a different attitude towards data than I have.

@Jack said: FDCServers Backup plan #1 and it comes with 5 IP's ;)

That's quite a bit more expensive than Kimsufi.

@raindog308 said: Honestly, I hate this answer. That kimsufi has a single disk so there's no fault tolerance.

To be fair, I did say

@joepie91 said: * Reliability/RAID would not be very important to me, since Tahoe-LAFS already takes care of redundancy and fault-tolerance.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@joepie91 said: Custom software allowed

Yes, thats a good one - till people abuse and start installing other non-backup related software, and host sites out of it too...

1TB is not enough, people need far more these days hhhh.

@kkmlk said: Overall this also allows for more frequent backups.

Yep, I agree ...

@rsk said: Yes, thats a good one - till people abuse and start installing other non-backup related software, and host sites out of it too...

Then introduce a rule that says you cannot host public-facing services off it?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: Honestly, I hate this answer. That kimsufi has a single disk so there's no fault tolerance.

People who think "it's only backups" have a different attitude towards data than I have.

I would agree with you if the Kimsufi server was the only backup method used. If used in conjunction with other methods it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanked by 2rm_ tux
  • @miTgiB said: Is there some reason you need to have high throughput to get your backups stored? Is there any difference to you if you can transfer the data at a lower rate?

MySQL backups often lock the database while they are running.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: MySQL backups often lock the database while they are running.

Are you going to remotely do the backup though? Or just dump on the local machine and gzip and transfer?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Jack said: FDCServers Backup plan #1 and it comes with 5 IP's ;)

Just hope it doesn't go down every now and then like mine... Their support is worthless.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2012

Why the heck do you need RAID for your backups. If you want reliable backup, you don't go and backup to RAID, silly, you backup using two or more vastly different strategies (e.g. to that single disk, and also locally to an external drive or tape).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@rm_ said: Why the heck do you need RAID for your backups.

Because they've very important.

@rm_ said: If you want reliable backup, you don't go and backup to RAID, silly, you backup using two or more vastly different strategies (e.g. to that single disk, and also locally to an external drive or tape).

I prefer multiple backups each to different RAID-protected servers/disks. Disk is cheap and losing a drive is a pain. I don't use a single drive anywhere except laptops where there isn't a choice.

• @joepie91 said: I already have a few storage nodes at OVH, and I'm trying to geographically distribute my nodes - so that wouldn't help much. And as far as I know there aren't very many providers offering Kimsufi-like servers.

>
    The Spanish version of that http://www.kemsirve.es/

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@yeradis said: The Spanish version of that http://www.kemsirve.es/

@yeradis even though it is a different website, they are all hosted in France, and now they are offering .ca in Canada. They do not use .es (Spain) datacenter as far as I know :P

• PatsPats Member

i'm currently in-between getting a VPS for Backup from datashack or volumedrive
    datashack:
    VPS Premium 1 - $10 now $7.5 with coupon
    150 GB HDD
    2 GB Ram
    1 IP
    2 TB Bandwidth

VD:
    VPS Package 2 - $8.95/mo | $0 Setup
    CPU: 3 GHz Dedicated CPU*
    RAM: 2 GB Dedicated Memory
    HD: 100 GB Hard Drive Space
    BW: 3000 GB Transfer Per Month
    IP: 2 Public IP Address

• lbftlbft Member
    edited July 2012

@vistaxie said: seedhost.eu

They're resold OVH boxes at a significant markup by the look of it.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • LOL All Seedbox's generally are in OVH.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • flyfly Member

i'd go with datashack.

• wickawicka Member

@Pats said: datashack:

VPS Premium 1 - $10 now $7.5 with coupon
    150 GB HDD
    2 GB Ram
    1 IP
    2 TB Bandwidth

I can't find this plan.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@wicka Looks more like dixhost to me...

• @wicka said: I can't find this plan.

That looks like a plan from one of DixHost's WHT posts.