Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end / high storage recommendations? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end / high storage recommendations?

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@teh7077 said: @Maounique sure, I could just mount remote space via sshfs and then have rsync run locally every 10 seconds. But that's more like a backup solution than something comparable to the comfort of dropbox which I intend to replace. Also, there's neither a web interface to play music on my netbook (1st gen. small-ssd-oldie, with not enough space to sync locally) nor calendar/contacts this way.

I was thinking more along the line of using remote space as you would use a local fs. Like a drive always mounted and sync to local computer while in fact the storage is elsewhere.
    M

• teh7077teh7077 Member
    edited June 2012

@gbshouse entirely possible, I haven't worked with iDrive yet. Their pricing definitely seems competitive with the 150 gig offer, though the proprietary client instead of open, standard compliant file transfer protocols would put me off. (the latter is also true for dropbox in the scenario you're describing btw)
    But I'm not looking for a backup solution for my LEBs, I got a NAS for that and sometimes even off-site backup space included in my plan. This is about keeping my desktop computers' files, contacts and calendars in sync and playing music directly from "the cloud" without a local copy on those of my devices which don't have the diskspace to retain that much data.

@Maounique like a regular network drive / "share". I got something like that right now, and it's not bad, even secure in combination with encfs (the thing BoxCryptor is based on) + it's mounted via sshfs.
    But besides the missing local redundancy + the calendar/contacts issue, working directly on a mounted remote drive that connects via anything but sshfs (e.g. FTP / WebDAV / even SMB/CIFS doesn't work so well when not used within a LAN) is in my experience kind of painful (latencies that freeze your word processor for 5-10 seconds the moment you click save etc.).
    Sadly, "cloud" space that supports sshfs is rather expensive and the free trial I got at my current provider is running out in a while - hence my current motivation to get owncloud up and running, which is the more elegant solution anyway.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Aha, I am used to low latency and big speeds lately, nothing would freeze on me even for international locations (within EU, tho).
    I agree owncloud would be more elegant, but it has to run remotely, for reasons of privacy I would also use some encryption and only store directly encrypted data without passing any passwords back and forth, but it is just my paranoid nature :P
    With google starting to offer 5 GB for free, it is likely more and more ppl will do the same, sadly, proprietary schemes will always be a problem, I can't imagine anyone offering for free anything that can be encrypted directly because will void their ability to read the data and send ads to support it.
    Prices are likely to fall, tho, because of the competition.
    Here internet is so cheap that I could setup a back-up box at another home to be protected in case of a fire or something, the lowest price for local exchange is like 2 Euro a month which beats any VPS, but will have to foot the power bill. A 10 Watt idle box and 24 full load is possible tho and can handle old small hdds.
    M

• I agree about the need for encryption (see above, and why I won't deploy owncloud in its current form), but having a VPS under my control doing the encryption is enough for me to rest easy ;) Right now, with servers controlled by third parties, I am relying on end-to-end crypto as well.
    Cheap (spare part) "servers" in my own home are interesting to play with, but I'm afraid of the power bill for a 24/7 service. As long as it's not a raspi or something comparable at 8 W total, the LEB VPS usually wins economically.

• AdamAdam Member

@teh7077 - My recommendation is to compile a list of VPS hosts and start firing out emails asking if any of them can cater towards a custom LEB with high storage.
    I probably lucked out doing the above, but quite a few hosts have a lot of space left on already full nodes, and don't mind offering it as long as there's no abuse.

• tehdantehdan Member

@teh7077 - see here - the performance may not be great, but its unconteneded hardware ;)

• @teh7077 said: would if I could. I'm on the raspi waiting list, obviously :D And the current prices on ebay are just short of outrageous.

We have a Pi here you could have for cost :)

• I recommend virtuallydedicated for that option. there high storage plans would fit you

• flyfly Member

i would recommend getting datashack/wholesale/joe's or fdc if you're in the US.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

I would recommend not bringing up old posts that's last comment was more than a week old.