Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

simfs crippled? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

simfs crippled?

Comments

• nabonabo Member

@rds100 said: there is no /dev/simfs, this is not how OpenVZ works.

So how can I make a dd-copy from fs on OVZ?

• rds100rds100 Member

@nabo you can't. You use rsync copy. Or tar. Or something else that copies file by file.

• If your having drive issues, i'd recommend file by file rather then block by block.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    df -H
    Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs             5.4G   752M   4.7G  14% /
    none  

Mine it's OK

• TaylorTaylor Member

I could go over my limit at bluevm, i only noticed when I got a automatic hypervm message siting in my junk mail telling me I was x over my limit.

• CoreyCorey Member

Guys 99% of customers use only a small percentage of their disk space. If an abuser or abusers registered several vps and maxed out 100% of disk space on all of them doing 'abusive' things like torrenting illegal files and such.... then the node can run out of disk space.

Everyone in the LEB market is overselling - any good business model includes overselling - you don't buy a powerful server with 2TB disk space and only put 50 customers on it because their 40GB needs to be available at all times. You oversell with a little bit of smarts and leave a small portion of the disk space free so that if you get the oddball customer that uses the space for a LEGIT reason.

Another thing - they might have had a bunch of suspended accounts on the server that they had not terminated yet. Suspended accounts use up hard disk space, delete all the suspended accounts and you can free up some disk space for your customers.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • TaylorTaylor Member

@Corey

I like my test files and download 40gb worth in a month, would that be abuse?

• TazTaz Member

@Corey said: Everyone in the LEB market is overselling - any good business model includes overselling - you don't buy a powerful server with 2TB disk space and only put 50 customers on it because their 40GB needs to

Say what?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited June 2012

@Taylor said: I like my test files and download 40gb worth in a month, would that be abuse?

No it wouldn't. We get quite a few suspended accounts with DCMA take downs which we keep for 30 days after the suspension. A good 1 - 300 GB+ per node is just taken up with suspensions... It's been improving since we started filtering new clients and the space issues in general will be taken care of by our new nodes each of which will have 4 TB of storage plus backup space so we can keep our backups, our suspensions and leave plenty of room for clients.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Taylor doesn't sound like it.

@NinjaHawk I don't understand your question? 'Say What' - I need a more clear question to answer.

• @Corey said: Everyone in the LEB market is overselling

Don't make assumptions about other companies. Not all of us sit and pray that our clients won't use the resources we've sold them.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic noone sits and prays - they make educated guesses and improve upon them with real experience.

If you are trying to say that buyvm doesn't oversell something then you've got to be fucking kidding me. I know fran has told me before about how many people you put on a box per package - let me dig it up.

• TazTaz Member

@Corey not everyone oversells. You can still make good business and profit without overselling.

• CoreyCorey Member

@NinjaHawk you are buying into this? If you don't oversell you are stupid. Bottom line! Let me find the post from @mitgib I saw the other day that summed this up very nicely.

• TazTaz Member

Each of my nodes have clients anywhere from 10-30 that's it.

• TazTaz Member

@Corey you do not need to oversell to make your living.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: @Maounique said: The ppl that oversell are trying to defend their position

What Cracker Jack box did you pull this idea from? ALL VPS providers oversell, it is the whole idea behind VPS, if you think otherwise, you are simply naive, or in your own words, braindead.

That's one quote but it isn't the one I was looking for. He goes as far as saying how much more money he can make per node by virtualizing it and making efficient use of the hardware (overselling it)

He runs hostigation and was #2 on the top providers vote we just had here.

Hostigation: 40 Points [HM x 3]

• I think if a provider sells you x amount of disk space you should be able to use every bit of it.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • CoreyCorey Member

@taipres You are correct. I agree with you 100%.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited June 2012

Wow!

• DiltDilt Member

@Corey said: If you don't oversell you are stupid.
    @Corey said: He runs hostigation and was #2 on the top providers vote we just had here.

The Pony Lords, sitting at #1, disagree.

@taipres said: I think if a provider sells you x amount of disk space you should be able to use every bit of it.
    @Corey said: @taipres You are correct. I agree with you 100%.

But... didn't you just support overselling? I think I see why Aldryic spends so much time here...

To add some content to this thread... I want to note that while it's easy to set stock to your available RAM/HD space, it's not so easy to balance CPU usage and iops. Even if you don't oversell your RAM/HD space, you may still wind up with certain nodes getting hit with heavier loads than others. This is actually why Franny is trying to push in those SSDs for read caching.

We're actually considering increasing the HD space we offer on our higher RAM plans. If you look at our plans it's pretty clear that while the ram jumps by *2 (128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, etc), the space doesn't (15, 30, 50, 60, 70). Since we sell plans by RAM, we've got a bit of hard disk that's sitting unused on some of our nodes...

@Corey said: If you are trying to say that buyvm doesn't oversell something then you've got to be fucking kidding me.

anooooother buyvm thread...

@Corey said: He runs hostigation and was #2 on the top providers vote we just had here.

so?

btw, make numbers, you dont need to oversell to make profit. I will run a server on Xmas and I will NOT oversell.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@Dilt what does me supporting overselling have to do with agreeing that if you are sold X amount of disk space that you should be able to use it? Pony Lords @ #1? You are still overselling - don't play stupid games to hijack threads.

@netomx I know you don't have to oversell to make profit - but why not oversell and make more profit on the resources that aren't being used on your machines? If you aren't overselling you are wasting more than just server resources, you are wasting your precious POWER and that is one of the highest costs.

@Corey said: but why not oversell and make more profit on the resources that aren't being used on your machines?

because you have already rented it. It is like renting a house... if the guy is not using it, will you rent it again?

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@netomx No it isn't. It's like running a massive electricity company like AEP. You have a huge commit to provide for and you run your substations at 110% efficiency instead of installing more costly transformers, not only that - these types of companies are oversold to the point that if every house and business were to turn on every appliance at the same time and peak out their "200 amp?" connection there would be several transformers blow up. But one single house can peak out their 200amp connection and continue to do it and the business plan that the single house is going to do this so not oversell anymore on this particular substation.

• CoreyCorey Member

Got to love this article on WHT..

One of the unforseen consequnces of overselling are the appearance of hosts who market their hosting plans as a product of a "we do not oversell" business practice. Many of these hosts are too small to oversell or have minimal server management experience outside of a control panel and are unable to grasp the operational side of overselling. They turn a lack of resources and/or knowledge into a marketing spiel that ultimately short-changes the customer.

To critics without extensive sever administration experience, overselling is confused with overloading. Let's take the server from the last example but pretend there are 1000 sites on this server. Even if the sites aren't using all the space, chances are that the server will be getting lots of hits from these 1000 sites. Because of this, it will become slower and slower until web hosting customers get fed up and leave.

Be wary of the critics of overselling. While most are honest, some use the confusion as a marketing device to sell fewer resources for more money.

Overselling occurs with many web hosts. Overselling in and of itself has no affect on server performance. That's because it is a marketing term and not a technical term. With good server management overselling can lead to an efficient use of resources.

• @Corey said: what does me supporting overselling have to do with agreeing that if you are sold X amount of disk space that you should be able to use it?

@Corey said: Guys 99% of customers use only a small percentage of their disk space. If an abuser or abusers registered several vps and maxed out 100% of disk space on all of them

You kindof need to pick one side of that coin... you can't state that using resources they paid for is abuse while at the same time agreeing that they're entitled to use them.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic no I don't. If you are a legit user you should be able to use all of the resources that you paid for.

I never said using resources you paid for is abuse - you put those words in my mouth.

I said - >If an abuser or abusers registered several vps and maxed out 100% of disk space on all of them doing 'abusive' things like torrenting illegal files and such.... then the node can run out of disk space.

I also said > 99% of customers use only a small percentage of their disk space
    meaning that you should plan for the 1% that use all of their disk space and any anomalies.

Don't misquote me.

• DiltDilt Member
    edited June 2012

@Corey said: what does me supporting overselling have to do with agreeing that if you are sold X amount of disk space that you should be able to use it?

Because if it's oversold, you can't use it! See Aldryic's post.

@Corey said: Pony Lords @ #1? You are still overselling

In regards to RAM, we sort of are. We sell our nodes based on guaranteed RAM, but we provide double the memory in the form of 'burst' RAM. We have it configured so that if the node requires more memory, it takes from the used burst RAM. It gives the benefits of overselling without actually doing it.

@Corey said: don't play stupid games to hijack threads.
    @netomx said: anooooother buyvm thread...

Man, it's like you can't share any relevant personal experience with a topic without people going crazy... But only if you're from BuyVM.

• @Corey said: If an abuser or abusers registered several vps and maxed out 100% of disk space on all of them doing 'abusive' things like torrenting illegal files and such.... then the node can run out of disk space.

Okay, fair enough. But what's the difference between someone torrenting music, and someone torrenting legit files? If you have 3 people torrenting music/movies, and 10 people maxing out the HDD on the same VPS plans with legit/legal data, then the space is being burned either way. What do you do when you have enough heavy-HDD legit clients on a node that you can't terminate for DMCA to balance things out?

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, that was the impression I got from how you worded that. In my professional opinion, you shouldn't sell something you can't make good on.