Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

123 reg and pingdom
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

123 reg and pingdom

DanielMDanielM Member
edited May 2012 in General

Right. VPS has had alot of downtime over the past months (Over 24 hours overall this month) provided 123 reg pingdom status. There reply:

"Those reports don't really hold a lot of weight, as the information they provide is very tenuous.

Our industry standard monitoring tools show that there were no issues for the time periods specified
"

I ask them what are these tools. and where are they hosted? in there own dc? lol

I ask to move node and get the following:

"The Hardware Node that your VPS packages are hosted on have not had any issues for the time periods specified, so moving nodes is not something we are prepared to carry out."

Any idea what i should say to prove my point to these fools.. already given them proof

http://screensnapr.com/v/ycYOwz.jpg
http://screensnapr.com/v/89CTMF.jpg

Comments

• Why do you even have a VPS with 123Reg :/

• DanielMDanielM Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: Why do you even have a VPS with 123Reg :/

Because of the free plesk :L

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited May 2012

Ah right, didn't realize they had that. I haven't used plesk much myself. I find it strange they cant give you a straight answer on what they are using.

Surely they should have to prove to you their monitoring hasn't picked this up.

I mean if you have to provide proof, so should they.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: I mean if you have to provide proof, so should they.

Yeh, it seems as they think they are 100% right . Despite me showing them proof of downtime and twitter complaints.

But what also pisses me off is. when its down and i open a support ticket. takes them hours to reply. when they replied its usually back online. and they say the vps is fine.

• @DanielM said: But what also pisses me off is. when its down and i open a support ticket. takes them hours to reply. when they replied its usually back online. and they say the vps is fine.

That sounds like Burstnet :P

• DanielMDanielM Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: That sounds like Burstnet :P

These guys are WORSE than burstnet. atleast burstnet "Usually" believe pingdom. but these guys aint even looking at it.

• aubsaubs Member

Can you not get a script on your VPS to ping a site like google and log when it is successful and unsuccessful? That way you have two sets of results using different services which will hopefully match.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@aubs said: Can you not get a script on your VPS to ping a site like google and log when it is successful and unsuccessful? That way you have two sets of results using different services which will hopefully match.

>
    suggest such a script?

• aubsaubs Member
    edited May 2012

@DanielM :
    I've got this in my cron
    */15 * * * * root /home/me/server-status-check.sh MyServer.co.uk >/dev/null 2>&1

and then this script (server-status-check.sh)

#!/bin/bash

LOG=/var/log/server-status-check/server-status-check.log
    [email protected]
    RepeatThreshold=3
    RepeatTimeDelay=3

#Repeat Threshold starts at 0 to the value of RepeatThreshold. As this would create one additional requst, we decrease RepeatThreshold by one.
    RepeatThreshold=`expr $RepeatThreshold - 1`
    RepeatCount=0

while [ $RepeatCount -le $RepeatThreshold ]
    do
            echo "Running"
            #Which repeat are we on.
            RepeatCount=`expr $RepeatCount + 1`
            ping -c 1 $1 > /dev/null
            #Ping result should be 0 if a response is received.
            if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                    echo "Ping failed on run - $RepeatCount"
                    sleep $RepeatTimeDelay
            else
                    echo "Ping worked. Stopping check."
                    break
            fi
    done
    RepeatThreshold=`expr $RepeatThreshold + 1`
    CheckDate=$(date +"%Y-%m-%d (%a) %T")
    if [ $RepeatCount -eq $RepeatThreshold ]; then
            echo "$CheckDate : Network Status Check for $1 failed after $RepeatCount attempt(s). Server appears to be DOWN!" >> $LOG.$1
            echo "$CheckDate : Network Status Check for $1 failed after $RepeatCount attempt(s). Server appears to be DOWN!" |
            mail -s "$i Network Status Check - Fail!" $EMAIL
    else
            echo "$CheckDate : Network Status Check for $1 worked after $RepeatCount attempt(s). Server appears to be UP!" >> $LOG.$1
    fi

# NOTES HERE:
    # Bash scripts to scan and monitor network
    # linuxconfig.org/bash-scripts-to-scan-and-monitor-network

It's probably very poor coding, but it was thrown together and I've not bothered to re-visit it. :)

• qjqqjq Member
    edited May 2012
    #! /bin/bash
    date
    ping -c 2 google.com >> ping.txt

• yomeroyomero Member

OMG!

• Pingdom really is bad about false alerts, and in fact a lot of hosting companies exempt either specifically Pingdom or more commonly the whole family of products LIKE Pingdom from any and all of their guarantees (SLA, etc).

That said, that doesn't seem to be the case here, so I have to agree with @DanielM on this one...

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

123 reg are pretty poor with support tbh. Not able to go elsewhere with Plesk for a similar sort of price? I use 123 reg for 3 of my domains, but simply for the fact it was cheap and simple.

Don't think it'll even be worth your time fighting it tbh.. you'd probably be better off backing up everything and reinstalling as a "new" customer, as you'd likely be on a different node.. and due to their size, they most likely wouldn't even realise.

They are horrible for sorting out issues though.

• DanielMDanielM Member

"123 reg are pretty poor with support tbh. Not able to go elsewhere with Plesk for a similar sort of price? I use 123 reg for 3 of my domains, but simply for the fact it was cheap and simple."

Can you suggest anyone else who charges £2.75 for plesk 10 domain?

And £6 for 30 domain

• aubsaubs Member

@DanielM : You asked .... Did that help, did you try?

• DanielMDanielM Member

@aubs said: @DanielM : You asked .... Did that help, did you try?

They made contact with me. by email (And via LET). they finally migrated the vps to another node. thanks everyone for your support and help :)

• aubsaubs Member

To be fair, you're still trusting them.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@aubs said: To be fair, you're still trusting them.

Yeh. there on there last chance :D

• aubsaubs Member
    edited May 2012

oops. Duplicate post.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@aubs said: Should we not post our perversion.

ehh??

• aubsaubs Member
    edited May 2012

@DanielM : They were happy to move you because you kicked up a stink. What about the other users on the same node??

• aubsaubs Member

Also, did you consider the script I posted or was it a waste of my time?

• DanielMDanielM Member

@aubs said: @DanielM : They were happy to move you because you kicked up a stink. What about the other users on the same node??

Not sure about the other users...

• DanielMDanielM Member

@aubs said: Also, did you consider the script I posted or was it a waste of my time?

Ill take a look, but most likely a waste of you're time if server stays online for for next 2 days.