Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We colo your RPi for free :)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

We colo your RPi for free :)

WilliamWilliam Member
edited May 2012 in Offers

Yes, that's right!

You need:

A Raspberry Pi WITH ETHERNET - http://www.raspberrypi.org/
An USB Stick for it (Please do not use USB HDDs or extra large size sticks)
An USB power cable for the Pi (USB A, normal plug as on your USB stick -> RPi power in)
The ability to configure a static IP in whatever OS you run
No creditcard data required :)
A box to ship it to Austria :)

Offer includes:
1 static IPv4
/112 static IPv6
100Gb Traffic p.m.
100Mbit Uplink

Hosted in AUSTRIA, EDIS DATACENTER GRAZ :)

If you are interested please write me a PM or to [email protected] to order.

Reboots (aka disconnect and connect): FREE (up to 48h waiting may be needed)
Reinstalls: not possible usualy, but if really needed we find a way.
"contract" time: 3 months (simply that we are not just connecting them for a week and send it back then)
cost: FREE - 100% - you are not paying anything except the costs at shipping it back. No monthly and no setup fees.
Shipping back: Austria FREE / Europe: 5EUR / Global: 10EUR (does not even cover our costs)

Comments

• Hold on. You being serious?

• ZiggaZigga Member
    edited May 2012

Yeah, check their twitter account! I was just about to open a thread.

Twitter anouncement

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Daniel said: Hold on. You being serious?

Totally.

• Interesting!

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited May 2012

@William said: An USB Stick for it (Please do not use USB HDDs or extra large sticks)

Not just an SD card as usually needed?

This is awesome, too bad I don't have one right now so I hope the order will stay valid for a while. (maybe we can also have them shipped directly to you?)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2012

SD card is fine too of course, but i imagine most prefer some sort of USB stick.

You can ship it directly to us if they can put a paper or something with your name in it so we can identify which is yours.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • AsadAsad Member

@djvdorp said: Not just an SD card as usually needed?

You probably can do, but an SD card is going to be a lot slower.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

If anyone can confirm @William reputation, I'm in.

• @netomx: are YOU serious??? @William=EDIS!!

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2012

@netomx said: If anyone can confirm @William reputation, I'm in.

Yes, the 5 digits i earn monthly is not enough - i need to steal your RPi to survive and buy food :o

No, seriously, i won't steal your RPi - it's a promotion thing that we colo them for free :)

• IntcsIntcs Member

@netomx said: If anyone can confirm @William reputation, I'm in.

IMO it's excellent. EDIS is one of the most professional VPS providers I've seen, big client base as well!

It looks like EDIS planning to make it permanent service so testing things out first. It's possible that most of it won't return back as they will probably give you a choice to continue hosting it later on ;)

• WilliamWilliam Member

As note for the guys that fear some sort of hook/strings attached (how do i say that in english? :/):
    The colo will be free for at least 12 months, after that you have the choice to get your RPi back for the shipping (5/10EUR) or continue to colo it for a cheap price (sub 10EUR, likely less) or maybe if we have use for them sell it to us.
    So no strings attached at all.

Likely, since they take no space/power/bw anyway (the most scarce thing on this offer is the 1 IPv4...) and we have plenty of space for them, we won't charge the users that took this free offer at any time, forever.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited May 2012

Will be contacting you when my RPi arrives. I'm confident in your ability to provide a quality service based on the previous experiences and it's a really nice thing to offer the deal for free.

• Seems like a good offer, I have no need for my Pi to be in Austria though :(

• KairusKairus Member

Haha, this is awesome, out of curiosity @William what is your position at EDIS? Your signature says Working @, but it seems more like you own it.

• SteveSteve Member

This sounds awesome! How long are you keeping this offer open for?
    If it's still open when I recieve my Raspberry Pi, I'll be co-locating. :)

• @Kairus said: Haha, this is awesome, out of curiosity @William what is your position at EDIS? Your signature says Working @, but it seems more like you own it.

Hi Kairus! William is one of me most important people in the company. He mainly works on biz-dev topics related to virtualization products, and our networks / datacenters here in EDIS. We got to know him on lowendbox.com a bit more than a year ago ;-)

Cheers,
    Gerhard (as the CEO of the company)

oh, and we are constantly looking for new staff. If anybody would be interested to work for us, please send your CV to [email protected] (no matter where you are)
    thanks a lot ;-)

• @Steve said: How long are you keeping this offer open for?

Hi Steve,
    we just started today. No need to hurry - will for sure be available for a year (minimum).

All the best,
    Gerhard

@William said: Yes, the 5 digits i earn monthly is not enough

No need to brag, but I don't know you. As I saw, everyone back ups you, so I will. I have receive mine, but I want to send the 2nd one with you =)

• @netomx said: No need to brag, but I don't know you. As I saw, everyone back ups you, so I will. I have receive mine, but I want to send the 2nd one with you =)

William likes to joke around a little bit ;-) We are looking forward to hosting your second baby with us!

Cheers,
    Gerhard

@ExPl0ReR said: William likes to joke around a little bit ;-) We are looking forward to hosting your second baby with us!

As an offtopic thing, I can see the thumbnail on the Ethernet port (remember that they changed them by hand?) haha nice detail.

• u4iau4ia Member

PM sent. What a great offer :)
    As a side note: I currently have a VPS with Edis in Switzerland, and have been very happy with both the service and support.

• subinsubin Member

@William said: SD card is fine too of course, but i imagine most prefer some sort of USB stick.

You can ship it directly to us if they can put a paper or something with your name in it so we can identify which is yours.

Can someone recommend an online store where i can buy RPi +
    usb stick/sdcard, pay with paypal and send it to edis?

Send from my home is not an option because RPi is not come to my country yet. Also, shipping price will be high.

@subin said: Send from my home is not an option because RPi is not come to my country yet. Also, shipping price will be high.

Farnell and RS can do that.

Thanked by 1subin
  • pcanpcan Member

@ExPl0ReR: Your offer is exactly what I need to test a low-cost disaster recovery remote backup policy. A 64-128 Gb flash SD card or stick will host a encrypted and compressed database backup. This sensitive company data must not be hosted on a VPS or shared/rented machine. The RasperryPi coud be deployed in multiple copies (more redundance than a single colocated server) and could be shipped around at the same cost and reliability of a tape cartridge. It also cost about the same as a tape cartridge. To complete this scenario, you should publish a list price for the exchange/ship of the Raspberry PI and/or the flash disk: the Pi and/or flash disk will be exchanged at least once a month to minimize flash memory wear and to build a backup history. I devised a similar plan with NAS disks some time ago, but cost was too high due to colocation fees (the NAS needed a 1U colocation price) and remote hands/shipping costs. A tape drive in the remote location is too unreliable and also the cost is too high.
    Volume shipments of Raspberry PI's are scheduled for the second half of the yeat, this will open a nice trial window in september-december.

• One thing I noticed when using USB Storage on the Pi, it would randomly turn off for a split second, meaning putting the OS on USB is terrible.

• KairusKairus Member

@ExPl0ReR said: He mainly works on biz-dev topics related to virtualization products, and our networks / datacenters here in EDIS.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I hope to see pictures of all the RPi's linked up once people start sending them in :).

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@William said: A Raspberry Pi WITH ETHERNET - http://www.raspberrypi.org/

An USB Stick for it (Please do not use USB HDDs or extra large size sticks)
    An USB power cable for the Pi (USB A, normal plug as on your USB stick -> RPi power in)
    The ability to configure a static IP in whatever OS you run
    No creditcard data required :)
    A box to ship it to Austria :)

Wouldn't be easier to take preorders/prepayments for all this + some fee to cover your own time, etc... for bulk buy in our name and intitial setup from your side? I think that many people would rather pay you some fee that you buy this for them instead ship everything to Austria and also you wouldn't need to complicate your life with every individual shipment and potential mess (wrong parts, too big usb stick, something broken, something...) as you would control/standartize bougth stuff and buy in bulk after some time of taking preorders/prepayments.
    I most likely missed something and it's just idea of course :)

• @Spirit said: Wouldn't be easier to take preorders/prepayments for all this

Hi Spirit!
    definitely, this would be easier, BUT ... there is no mass-production yet and we would not be able to get more than one device now. Maybe in 6+ months the situation will look differently, but now this is the only possibility we have.

Cheers,
    Gerhard

Thanked by 1Spirit