Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflares IPv6 Gateway
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflares IPv6 Gateway

ZiggaZigga Member
edited September 2011 in General

So I got an email this morning from Cloudflare stating:

We are providing the Automatic IPv6 Gateway for free to all CloudFlare users. We started CloudFlare in order to help solve some of the Internet's toughest challenges. We are proud on our first birthday to be doing our part to help solve another one.

What does everyone think? Good idea? Great idea? Personally, I think what cloudflare is doing is pretty awesome, and to add a ipv6 gateway is really just icing on the cake.

Comments

• The code tag doesn't work well here. Can someone please copy and paste that in a blockquote tag or just plain? For me it runs off the right side and under the right column.

• I've been using it since it's beta testing, everything works perfectly till now. Cloudflare rocks!

• @drmike We are providing the Automatic IPv6 Gateway for free to all CloudFlare users. We started CloudFlare in order to help solve some of the Internet's toughest challenges. We are proud on our first birthday to be doing our part to help solve another one.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • FULL or SAFE? Which is better?

• Thanks. I wonder how much hardware and bandwidth they going to throw at it.

• I've never used CloudFlare, and probably wont do in the near future. Prefer sites to have a native IPv6 setup instead of it being tunneled.

• But many of us don't have the ability to use ipv6.

I say it that was as nearly every network that I access, I get an IPv6 ip address assigned to me. (And the other networks, I can't check.)

It's just a matter of being able to use it.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2011

drmike said: But many of us don't have the ability to use ipv6.

I say it that was as nearly every network that I access, I get an IPv6 ip address assigned to me. (And the other networks, I can't check.)

It's just a matter of being able to use it.

I don't have IPv6 at home, and won't for at least 10 years. Infact I predict that my mobile phone will support IPv6 before my home internet does.

But we need a native IPv6 internet system, not just based on tunnels which will end up using more IPv4s.

• @Daniel you are correct, your phone already supports ipv6 :) And AFAIK many 3G networks support ipv6 too.

• rds100 said: @Daniel you are correct, your phone already supports ipv6 :) And AFAIK many 3G networks support ipv6 too.

My phone gets a faster download and upload then my home DSL, averaging around 6Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up.

• Daniel said: But we need a native IPv6 internet system, not just based on tunnels which will end up using more IPv4s.

You're one of them brits eh? I seem to remember Demon giving residential users native v6 long ago, same with Goscomb and the other half decent providers.

edited September 2011

justinb said: You're one of them brits eh? I seem to remember Demon giving residential users native v6 long ago, same with Goscomb and the other half decent providers.

I thought about switching to DemonInternet, their gaming package is rather appealing to me. There will be no IPv6 here for a while, and there is no Fiber Optic Plans here until at the least 2020.

We're still heavy reliant on Copper Phone Lines, where I live Broadband has only existed for 7 years due to being in the middle of no where.

Edit: Demon seems to have pretty much cancelled their home internet packages.

• Daniel said: We're still heavy reliant on Copper Phone Lines, where I live Broadband has only existed for 7 years due to being in the middle of no where.

does www.bogons.net have service where you are?

• justinb said: does www.bogons.net have service where you are?

For the BT line (Hidden), which is on the (Hidden) telephone exchange, we are able to offer you IPStream DSL services. Initial tests show that your line should be able support services up to 8000kbps.

Thanked by 1justinb
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

You can easily get a free IPv6 tunnel these days. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers "I don't have IPv6 at home" is not an excuse for not learning IPv6. :)

edited September 2011

rm_ said: You can easily get a free IPv6 tunnel these days. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers "I don't have IPv6 at home" is not an excuse for not learning IPv6. :)

IPv6 tunnel brokers don't work with a lot of UK ISPs, theres a reason to why they won't work, but I can't remember at the moment.

@Daniel
    It is true that tunnelbroker.net or 6to4 could be not working for you, but gogo6 tunnels use plain UDP and it's next to impossible those would not work at any ISP, even behind a NAT. Another broker, SixXS, uses the AYIYA protocol that afaik can even run over TCP, and it is impossible (period), that it would not work, if you have a TCP/IP capable connection at all.

• @rm_ SixXS would work. I remember applying for it and getting rejected for doing 1 mistake in my address, and they now ignore all my request. But their known for this.

Gogo6 UNIX client and documentation is VERY outdated, I think I tried to compile it and failed, because it was soo old

• circuscircus Member
    edited September 2011

Daniel said: I think I tried to compile it and failed

make platform=linux all ??

compiled fine here, after applying a couple of patches

• circus said: ake platform=linux all ??

compiled fine here, after applying a couple of patches

I tried compiling it on Darwin, which its supposed to support and even has the makefiles for,

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Daniel said: IPv6 tunnel brokers don't work with a lot of UK ISPs, theres a reason to why they won't work, but I can't remember at the moment.

Yep, last time I tried, it didn't work on Virgin Media.

• IPv6 doesn't work with the routers supplied by my ISP.
    They don't allow protocol 41 to be forwarded through the nat.
    IPv6 works using a router not supplied by my ISP.

Like I said there are at least two brokers (gogo6 and SiXXS) which have tunneling methods not involving protocol 41 (but just plain UDP or TCP).

• Keith said: IPv6 doesn't work with the routers supplied by my ISP. They don't allow protocol 41 to be forwarded through the nat. IPv6 works using a router not supplied by my ISP.

I have a Draytek, and it still doesn't work,

• rm_ said: Like I said there are at least two brokers (gogo6 and SiXXS) which have tunneling methods not involving protocol 41 (but just plain UDP or TCP).

Managed to get Tun/Tap compiled os OSX as well as Gogo6.

I feel like writing up a tutorial/shell script to automate it to help others.

Daniel-Smiths-MacBook-Pro:bin Daniel$ sudo ./gogoc -n
    gogoCLIENT v1.2-RELEASE build Oct  1 2011-15:18:23  
    Built on ///Darwin Daniel-Smiths-MacBook-Pro.local 11.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.1.0: Tue Jul 26 16:07:11 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.22.81~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64///
    A TSP error occurred. Status: 0. Info: (null)
    Failed to retrieve TSP capabilities.
    ).ceived a TSP redirection message from server anonymous.freenet6.net (1200 Redirection
    The server redirection list is [ anon-amsterdam.freenet6.net, anon-taipei.freenet6.net, anon-montreal.freenet6.net ].
    The optimized server redirection list is [ anon-amsterdam.freenet6.net, anon-montreal.freenet6.net, anon-taipei.freenet6.net ].
    ifconfig: SIOCDIFPHYADDR: Operation not supported on socket
    ifconfig: SIOCSIFPHYADDR: Operation not supported on socket
    route: writing to routing socket: not in table
    Your IPv6 address is 2001:05c0:1400:000a:0000:0000:0000:0279.
    Your IPv6 DNS address is 2001:05c0:1000:0011:0000:0000:0000:0002.