Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is Edis VRS servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is Edis VRS servers?

littleguylittleguy Member
edited April 2012 in General

Talking about the VRS servers, on
http://en.edis.at/virtual-root-server_82.htm

Do they run OpenVZ?

Comments

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@littleguy said: Is it OpenVZ?

(Jeez, 4th edit). Confirmed (thanks @ElliotJ), it is vserver. The RAM is guaranteed, no "burst" gimmicks.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited April 2012

As far as I'm aware, it's vServer.
    http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org

Edit: Hey, I was right!
    Here's a little snipped from that very page you linked.

EDIS runs 2 different kinds of production systems to offer a cost-effective solution based on the linux vserver hypervisor (context virtualization) and a fully virtualized product with the mighty "kernel based virtual machine" also known as KVM. All production systems are equipped with Intel® processors and take full advantage of the Intel®VT hardware-virtualization routines.

Thanked by 1quirkyquark
  • Okay, so then they provide no burst memory at all?

• @ElliotJ said: Edit: Hey, I was right!

Here's a little snipped from that very page you linked.

Sorry, and thanks. :)

Any good resources on comparisons between vServer and OpenVZ?

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: Yes, from this LEB post it would appear to be OpenVZ. A lot of European providers refer to VPS' generally as "vservers".

Nein.
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/edis-openvz-vps-austria/#comment-24411

vServer generally has quite nice memory management, a lot lower than OpenVZ in my experience.
    It's para-virtualised as well, so you're not getting the usual overhead that you get with XEN-HVM/KVM. I've had experience with it at both Edis and Alvotech; both being rather fast.

The only real issue is, it's a bit crap for VPN related stuff.

• @littleguy said: Okay, so then they provide no burst memory at all?

See edit, it is NOT OVZ but is vserver.

For the differences, quoting @William from an LEB comment:

The pro compared to OpenVZ is the better memory/cpu management as said already, it also runs slightly more stable.
    The cons are the Kernel Modules, IP routing (a bit more complicated) and that it requires patches for various things like IPv6.

We would love to enable Tun/tap but on linux-vserver it poses a security risk (since it requires sourcecode patching it also prevents upgrades until a new patch comes out).

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

I have one of those vserver products from Edis for some time now. It's very stable but also kind of limitating. While their KVM products have IPv6, tun/tap... there isn't such options.

• vserver is great as long as you stay away from vpn and tun/tap stuff

• We MIGHT deploy OpenVZ or a custom system based on OpenVZ in future, it is not completely off the table ;)
    It is also a possibility that we phase out vServer completely and only offer KVM in future.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @William said: We MIGHT deploy OpenVZ or a custom system based on OpenVZ in future, it is not completely off the table ;)

It is also a possibility that we phase out vServer completely and only offer KVM in future.

what about lxc? :P

• Unlikely :)

Thanked by 1circus
  • @William said: We MIGHT deploy OpenVZ or a custom system based on OpenVZ in future

Hopefully when the stupid .32 works well for everybody...

Thanked by 1dmmcintyre3