Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small VPS | East Coast | IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small VPS | East Coast | IPv6

nabonabo Member
edited February 2012 in General

I've been clicking through LEB the last few minutes and didn't find any current offer. Are there any small sized VPS (max. 128MB RAM, up to 5gb disk and ~30GB traffic) that are located on the east coast with TUN/TAP and native IPv6 ?

Comments

• You can check http://lowendstock.com. That way, you also have a provider that has stock, not a very populair order that is sold out...

Thanked by 1LES
  • Burstnet sell cheap, east coast VPS's with TUN/TAP and IPv6. Plus they seem to absolutely not care about abusers or spammers, so anything you do on it, will not be an issue.

• Not easy to find, most offers are with 1 IP Address only.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@liam Nope. We don't allow IRC and we got rid of our IPv6 addresses.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

gorack doesn't allow it on their IP space, but if you bring in your own ip's, it's fair game.

Francisco

• /me raises hand and I even have 128 stock in Charlotte

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • I'd absolutely recommend Hostigation/@mitgib.
    Amazing bang for the buck.

Any specific reason why East Coast is a necessity?

Thanked by 1camti
  • nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

Thanks for your answers guys! But I might make some more additions:

I don't need any hosts who allows spammers or abusers @damian, I don't know why you want to put me into that direction. Also I don't need any IRC allowance as I simply don't use IRC.

I've looked at Hostigation @mitgib, but I can't see how the VPS will be administered nor where it is located or if it has any IP at all. Let alone the TUN/TAP possibility. Can you shed some light on that? :-)

I've also looked at LES @raymii, but the interesting offers are either sold out or the products description does not even state if a VPS has an IP, regardless stating that it has IPv6 connectivity. And yes, I want to use Debian on the VPS which means I'm not interestted in VPS6 and Freebsd. :-/

Yes, I'm connecting from Europe @elliotj . I've a west coast VPS but the connection is very slow. And I already have a VPS in Europe.

• @nabo: I don't recall anything of wanting you to move in that direction. Was just an observation that they're free-reign hosting.

• @nabo said: I've looked at Hostigation @mitgib, but I can't see how the VPS will be administered nor where it is located or if it has any IP at all. Let alone the TUN/TAP possibility. Can you shed some light on that? :-)

You listed your requirements and I know I meet them, that is the only reason I suggested it. And what did you look at? On the OpenVZ Order page, it states "3 letter code denotes airport code for the city VPS will be provided in" Is that not clear? I can change it to something else if it is confusing to people. My signature here says I provide SolusVM, so that describes much of what is included, and I am running the current beta which offers client side TUN/TAP and pptp control. I have a /32 of IPv6 assigned, and plenty of IPv4, why would you think I provide no IP at all, how could you even use a VPS without an IP? And yes I see the :-) to denote a touch of sarcasm, so keep that in mind when reading this reply :)

• @nabo the site indeed does not show that, but what I find very nice is that it shows what is available. Then you can further look into a provider that meets your requirements. Did you check out the ramhost tinyvz brand? Don't know the location but they do offer IPv6 and I have very good experiences with ramhost:

http://tinyvz.com/

• @Raymii said: Don't know the location

Isn't it located at Wholesale Internet in Kansas City MO? Or was it someplace in Georgia/Alabama? Rob needs to read LET more.

• @liam said: If you're from Europe you could also look for a european host

I already have a VPS in Europe. I wanted one outside the EU to be independent from european routings if issues happen.

@Raymii said: Did you check out the ramhost tinyvz brand?

Yes, they are completely sold out. And even the parent Ramhost. No VPS available.

@miTgiB said: You listed your requirements and I know I meet them, that is the only reason I suggested it.

Thanks for the reply :-) Sorry, I'm not familar with airport codes. But I understand that now. Your site didn't say IPv6 but if you provide that I'm fine with that.

I just recall that there was a discussion on LET where providers nagged their customers about ther legit use of the IP and I raised the question if a VPS does not need at least one IP. And I got several answers saying me that it is not needed because of NAT and proxy et al. Thus, I'm quite sceptic ;-)

The main reason for the VPS is to have it running OpenVPN and a working/native IPv6 connectivity so that I can make use of IPv6. My provider at home does not provide this but I want to be able to already use it. Thus, I don't need much ressources (RAM, space, Traffic).

• @nabo said: I just recall that there was a discussion on LET where providers nagged their customers about ther legit use of the IP

Beware the provider that has to rustle their clients when their own host squeezes them on justification :P

• i bought the smallest east coast kvm from hostigation and can say its great. I'm running irssi and nginx on it, works great. yes it does have ipv6, and you can set your rDNS right from solusvm, as well as enabling tun/tap & pptp.

Although, @mitgib i'm gonna have to agree that the airport codes thing is pretty confusing... The only reason why I new CLT = charlotte was because of your email regarding new plans in charlotte.

• @kbar said: the airport codes thing is pretty confusing...

Ok, what would be less confusing, short of spelling it out completely? I chose the airport codes as they are internationally recognized, but am open to suggestion. I was also being very sarcastic to @nabo as well, but if it is genuinely confusing, it needs to be addressed.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@mitgib , question... Is it a typo that cpanel is 11 on kvm and 10 on openvz?
    Or is the license really cheaper on openvz?

(sent from my htc) :p

• @MikHo said: is the license really cheaper on openvz?

For internal licensing, cPanel is cheaper for OpenVZ/Virtuozzo

• flyfly Member
    edited February 2012

@mitgib, change the abbreviations in the order column to:
    NC and CA, and then in the area where you explain the airport codes, instead specify the specific locations. Because most people notice the table first, they don't really read the plaintext squished in the middle between the two tables (at least I didnt at first).

In addition, since right now you have 3 letter abbreviations and text-align center, it causes a line break, so it looks like this:

CLT |
     LAX

it would probably be more clear if it were:

NC | CA

you could even just split that cell into two and then have a link in each cell

preferably:

instead of one column for ordering, make it into two columns, with the header column having colspan 2.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2012

@mitgib Frankly i have no idea what CLT or LAX means. Maybe add some title= to the link, so when you hover the mouse over the link it would display the full city name?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Charlotte, NC.

Los Angeles, CA.

• Typing "CLT" or "LAX" into google made it pretty obvious, too.

'specially the first time I saw it a couple of weeks ago. I thought, "WTF is a CLT?", so I put it in google, BAM AIRPORT CODE.

• @Damian said: "WTF is a CLT?"

That magical spot girls love. :P

• @Aldryic said: That magical spot girls love. :P

Haha that IS what I thought when I first saw it...

• @Aldryic said: That magical spot girls love. :P

Post of the month..

• @miTgiB said: Ok, what would be less confusing, short of spelling it out completely? I chose the airport codes as they are internationally recognized, but am open to suggestion. I was also being very sarcastic to @nabo as well, but if it is genuinely confusing, it needs to be addressed.

I just signed up for one of your KVM the other day and had trouble figuring out what the codes meant (I'm from Europe). Maybe NC, USA and CA, USA would be easier to understand and save a unnecessary google search?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Aldryic said: That magical spot girls love. :P

Maybe you can shorten Gosport to GSPT, which is G-Spot. Okay, that was a really crap joke..

• @miTgiB I see no mention of IRC. You guys allow it?

• @pro said: You guys allow it?

Clients yes, get attacked, say goodbye

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB this happen when you try to give users choice :-)

One single plan: virtualization / cpu / ram / hdd / location and os randomly chosen by the provider. Price 3-7$ turn the wheel please

:-)