Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Have A Home Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do You Have A Home Server?

JeffreyJeffrey Member
edited February 2012 in General

Well, I am getting a little board right now, so here is the thread... Do you own a home server?

If so, Answer these questions:
HDD Space?
ISP?
RAM?
Processor?
Computer Model?
Operating System?
Uptime?
Location? (If this is too personal, do not share)

Here is my setup:
I am currently using my old Asus EEE 900 Netbook as a home server to mess with. It is fun to mess with, I like to keep my backups on it also.
Asus EEE 900 Server Specs:
512MB DDR Ram
4GB SSD (Server running off of 180GB Maxtor External HDD)
Intel Celeron Mobile @ 900Mhz
ISP: Road Runner, 10mbp/s down 1mbp/s up
Operating System: CrunchBang Linux (OpenBox Linux Distro based on Debian 6 Stable)
Control Panel: OpenPanel
Uptime: jeffrey@Shark:~$ uptime
17:02:34 up 43 days, 3:15, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
jeffrey@Shark:~$

Comments

• I really want to learn about this, can you give me a trustable reference how to do this? :)

• @Andri, How to turn a computer in your house into a server? That is easy! :P

• @Jeffrey said: That is easy! :P

Well, not for a pure noob like me, mate. :D

• We just run a NAS drive for all our storage in a RAID1

• lumaluma Member
    edited February 2012

I have 2, mostly used for Vmware vSphere lab.

Host:
    Dell T410
    2x Xeon 5520 (4c with ht)
    32GB DDR3 (I got 8GB with it a few years ago, recently upgraded to 32GB for a few hundred dollars)
    6x 1TB 7200 SATA Raid 50
    Perc 6i controller
    running vSphere 5.0 hypervisor

Storage:
    Homemade box with:
    E3-1220 cpu (4c, I swear this cpu is faster than the 2 xeons in the T410 lol)
    16GB DDR3
    8x 1.5TB 7200rpm drives
    4x 80GB 2.5 inch drive (boot drives, mirrored, 2 spares as I got them on sale)
    NexentaStor OS
    ZFS raid

I also have a Dell Optiplex 760 (core2duo, 8GB of ram) that I use a second host when I need to test High availability or vmotion stuff (moving a vm from one host to another)

The Dell is overkill, but I got a good discount on it and could not say no to it.
    The storage server is overkill as well for storage but it was fairly inexpensive to build and the entire machine uses 40 watts of power at idle, it costs nothing to run it.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • Here is a little html page loading from my home server, http://server.jeffthecomputergeek.com. Beware, it is protected with Cloudflare! ;)

• QNap TS-219p+
    HDD    2x 2 TB (raid 1)
    RAM    512mb DDRIII
    CPU    ARM Feroceon [email protected]
    OS      Debian Squeeze

I use it as http proxy/filter, development web environment, dns proxy, ipv6 gateway, nfs server, smb server and few other daemons.

• Home server? Okay.

"protected"? edit.170.edit.219

• HP Pavilion XL756
    Pentium III 667MHz
    128MB SDRAM
    30GB HDD
    100Mbit NIC, connected to a 100Mbit switchport
    ISP: Windstream, 12Mbps down, 768kbps up
    Uptime:

# uptime
     21:18:54 up 5 days,  4:04,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

It is currently hosting a game server (Live for Speed) and an IRC bot written in PHP.

• Self built
    Intel Mainboard Atom N270 at 1.6 ghz
    2GB RAM DDR2
    1x 80GB IDE
    4x 250GB SATA (with the help of a pci card)
    Debian 6

Mostly use as a NAS, but also works as a home dev server.
    Uptime, less than a month.

• HDD Space? 120 GB 3200RPM 2.5" IDE
    ISP? Virgin Media, 60/6 mbit/s
    RAM? 512MB DRR
    Processor? Athlon XP-M, 1.2Ghz
    Computer Model? HP Pavilion Laptop
    Operating System? XP SP3
    Uptime? A few months if soft reboots for updates don't count ;)

I use it as a HTTP server for quick sharing of files, Subsonic Server, for idling on a second Team Fortress 2 account, and various other daemons on it so I can manage it remotely, FTP/VNC and so on.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

HDD Space? Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB
    ISP? BrightHouse
    RAM? 2GB DDR2
    Processor? Intel Atom 230 @ 1.60GHz
    Computer Model? Custom
    Operating System? Arch Linux
    Uptime? 163 days, 8:54
    Location? Pinellas Park, FL

Pic!

Thanked by 2DeletedUser Amfy
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

I have a couple of boxes running debian as host OS and various distros and xp as guests. Main (and the one online 24/7) is E350 powered, 8 gb ram and hosts my freenas on it's own HDD of 2 TB, 2 Tor VPSes on 2 connections, an XP for the cameras and internet radio receiver, a VPS for hosting my friends with EHCP, a pfSense for QoS and failover + TS3 server with max 200 slots on Debian too. The main HDD is 1 TB.
    The other box is similar, only 4 gb ram, tho, and running Xen as host and SME Servers as guests and is not on permanently, only when I need to test stuff since I use SME for my work and my friends which want servers SOHO mostly. HDD for VMs is 1x400 gb and the OS on a laptop HDD of 80 gb.
    Using VMWare Server on main and Xen the secondary because that is the setup at work, but I did prefer VMWare Server before, too bad it is discontinued now.
    E350/E450 are great for my needs, mostly BW and space, not CPU intensive and they are draining little power, have passive cooling, can survive long blackouts on a small UPS together with the media converters and a couple of switches+DD-WRT router, very stable, running for months at a time, only interrupted so far by very long blackouts (welcome to Romania where power is less reliable than the Internet). If you want a limited home server that wont drain too much power and can still host a lot of VPSes, Atom 510/525, E350/E450 integrated on the mobo with passive cooling are doing a fine job for traffic, routing, forums, TS3, etc. I/O is a pain tho, I use Samsung HDDs for their low thermal output but they are not known for great speed, even on SATA3 and a RAID/SAS solution is deffinitelly overkill for my budget and power restrictions.
    M
    P.S. 1
    ISPs are RCS-RDS and Romtelecom, one is 10-20 Mbps up and down (advertised as 100, but rarely reaches 50) the other is 30 down, 6 up but is really delivering 90% of that. Both cost about 10 EUR in average with second being a bit more.
    P.S. 2 I may take a pic if I remember :)

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited February 2012

HDD Space: 2x1TB WD Blacks
    ISP: local WISP
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Processor: 3.4GHz Pentium D
    Computer Model: IBM System x3250
    Operating System: Debian 5
    Uptime: 46 days, 7:48 (stupid power outages)

Box takes a ridiculous amount of power idle (~115 watts) so I'll probably retire it at some point in summer in favour of something less expensive to run. All it really does is samba, µTorrent, svn, ircd, JIRA, and a bit of http.

• CPU : AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor
    Ram : 3gb
    Disk : 32x2tb in raid60
    Uptime : 00:11:40 up 151 days

I use the box for, 1 Windows Home Server runs in KVM, the rest is used for media storage, as well as fetching copies of backups for Hostigation web/solus/cacti/centreon data. No customer data is backed up to my house.

@miTgiB said: Disk : 32x2tb in raid60

IR jealous! What kind of drives? We just got rid of a bunch of 2TB Samsungs because the IO was horrible in RAID50 no matter what RAID controller we used. :(

• @miTgiB said: Disk : 32x2tb in raid60

Whoa, that's a lot of storage for "media"

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

"We just got rid of a bunch of 2TB Samsungs because the IO was horrible in RAID50 no matter what RAID controller we used. :("
    IO on Samsungs is really horrible, but they are also low key in noise, heat and pretty reliable. At least the low end versions of different brands I tried so far. It ultimately depends on what you use them for, in case of back-ups and media storage, well, that works.
    M

They were reliable as hell but when we tried using them for storage but it was just to slow to do anything and we couldn't even max out our 1Gbps connection (max was 500Mbps).

• @Jeffrey: crunchbanglinux is awesome, using it too for like a year haha

I brought both CrunchBang and ArchBang ISOs to work with me tonight, not sure which I'm going with to replace my Fedora install. :(

• @KuJoe said: I brought both CrunchBang and ArchBang ISOs to work with me tonight, not sure which I'm going with to replace my Fedora install. :(

:O Why would you replace Fedora? Fedora is awesome!

It's to "heavy". I guess I can install Openbox on it to see how it feels but I like the minimalist approach.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: I brought both CrunchBang and ArchBang ISOs to work with me tonight, not sure which I'm going with to replace my Fedora install. :(

While I have absolutely no experience with archbang, i love the debian core of cruchbang :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

HDD Space?
    ISP?
    RAM?
    Processor?
    Computer Model?
    Operating System?
    Uptime?

Bunch of old computers doing different stuff ... bringing everything into one vsphere 5 server when theres some spare time during evenings.

The vsphere is a HP ML110G5 with one X3330 Intel Xeon.
    6,5 TB
    7 GB RAM

~ # uptime
    08:27:55 up 53 days, 12:40, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

ISP is Telia (Sweden), dynamic IP which is shit ... but I'll cope :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

One pc used as scratch NAS (was a development machine with web server/svn/git repositories)

Disk: 2x500GB sata in software raid
    ISP: myself (I'm the CTO there) with a static /29
    RAM: 6GB
    Processor: AMD 64 X2
    Computer: homemade
    OS: unmanageable linux (it was debian etch one time, but it was used for all kind of custom library compilation and development so it was left waiting for a reinstall, now I and my wife bet on the day it will die)

uptime
    09:38:00 up 1105 days, 23:08, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

:-)

• @miTgiB said: Disk : 32x2tb in raid60

mitgibay.com

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

Yes.

1Ghz ARM Marvell
    1GB DDR3 RAM
    8TB in Raid 6 (5.7TB Usable)
    2x1Gbit Uplink
    Linux ofc.

Uptime: 29 day 14 Hour 9 Minute(s)

ISP: It is for the home. but BT.

All the computers, tv's, stereo systems, phones connect to it inside the house and share and stream media from it.

• CPU model :    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 1596.246 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2004 MB
    Total amount of swap : 375 MB
    System uptime :   60 days, 18:19,
    Download speed : (9.29MB/s)
    I/O speed : 10.9MB/s

Very good I/O speed, the system is installed on an USB stick :D

ISP?

Unitymedia (cable internet provider) 128 mb/s down; 5 mb/s up

Operating System?

Ubuntu Server Edition

It has a 250gb external HDD attached and i use it mainly as NAT/router and for usenetting

• Am running a NAS With OpenVPN,Bittorrent,Music Streaming,Twonky Media Server.FTP,

800MHZ Arm9
    512MB RAM
    4GB SWAP
    4TB HDD's (2TB Accessible)
    Linux
    10Mbps Uplink