Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 6 vs Ubuntu 11 for 256Ram LEB - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 6 vs Ubuntu 11 for 256Ram LEB

2»

Comments

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Debian Lenny should use even less memory.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

OMG, this is some uber necromancy skill :)
    But, since is already brought back from the dead, I run now xrdp on 256 ram and heavy java freenet at the same time (OVZ). Debian 7.32 bit.
    Ubuntu server is well balanced so should do similarly well, but debian will be better overall.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Seems to me old timers started out with Debian and just stick with that. Ubuntu is the new hotness. I think because it is the first Linux OS the gamers use. Then when they are old enough to move out of the parents basement and do something useful with Linux they stick with Ubuntu. At least that's my theory.

My one complaint with Ubuntu is they keep moving stuff around from version to version. STOP DOING THAT!

• skaska Member

Well, I started with Slackware, went to Suse and ended up with Debian. I guess it's simply a matter of choice once you have a detailed overview of how the distros differ from each other.

• Ubuntu is just Debian with upstart. Why not Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? I haven't had a package update in ages.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

We run Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS x64 on all our servers (except Windows ones) and we are happy with it. I like the Ubuntu PPA as it allows us to build custom packages using their build servers so we do not have to keep our own repo box.

• @NanoG6 said:
    installing mysql server on ubuntu is such a PITA

Agreed, I only use ubuntu for my live usb's. Debian all the way!

• I personally like debian more, Ubuntu 13.04 is much more lightweight than the others, 12.04 I do not know, it behaved slowed than Debian 6/7. I would go with debian

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@spekk said:
    I personally like debian more, Ubuntu 13.04 is much more lightweight than the others, 12.04 I do not know, it behaved slowed than Debian 6/7. I would go with debian

They are like 95% the exact same thing. Biggest differences are just what versions they use. How exactly did you reach those sort of conclusions?

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@NanoG6 said:
    installing mysql server on ubuntu is such a PITA

apt-get install -y mysql-server

What is so hard about that or am I missing something? It's easier then CentOS. It's already enabled after install and keeps reminding you to set a root password and the default config is reasonable and already includes bind-address=127.0.0.1. So more idiot proofed all around.

This is on 12.04 LTS. Can't speak for other versions.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

I'd go to Debain.

• Debian, because Debian.

• @sman said:

I also wondered what the issue was/is. Ubuntu has one of the easiest MySQL installation procedures out there.

• Debian 7 Wheezy

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@rds100 broken?..... you are broken. You just get every day updates.

Better would be Debian 7 32bit minimal.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

either way it should be 32bit like @Infinity580 says, because it uses less RAM.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Infinity, he said that a year ago

@netomx said:
    Infinity, he said that a year ago

It's not less true today, for small disks and memory 32bit is better, I would do the cut at 2 gb disk, 128 ram but to each his own, 256 is probably about the same, starting from 1 GB the benefits of 64 bit start to become aparent and if 100 mb more in disk is not a problem, is better to go with 64 on ovz at least.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said:

I'm not getting the picture; as I recall, @rds100 said that ubuntu is a broken version of Debian.

well, i quoted the wrong post then. I thought it is obvious it is about the 32 bit thing, not the ubuntu-debian discussion.

On that matter i stand on the debian side. But I agree Ubuntu makes better desktops and helped a few ppl cross the line in the linux camp.

• To kick a dead horse here, Debian is the way to go. It will use less resources than Ubuntu, and will be a lot more straightforward to use when setting up certain server-specific software (just read above)