Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider @ Washington DC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider @ Washington DC?

OrpheusOrpheus Member
edited September 2012 in Providers

I am looking for reliable VPS provider that can provide VPS for Washington DC location? Preferable from WDC softlayer.
Anything below $4/m is acceptable.

You guys have any recommendation? Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited September 2012

Softlayer + below $4, history says that will only end badly.

• I think Softlayer "DC" is in Ashburn, Virginia, but that should be close enough for any practical purpose? You can spit and hit Dulles International, which should be close enough for anyone (except Congressmen, who would demand that you be able to hit Reagan National).

• Well, flipperhost do have washington DC VPS on sale for 4.99/month + their 15% promotion. Not sure if there are other VPS provider for WDC location. Maybe others can recommend?

• Any DC that says it's in Washington, DC will probably be in some place like Ashburn or McLean or Vienna, or on the Maryland side. The city really isn't conducive to building that kind of thing, which is the entire reason places like Vienna and Crystal City exist. They're going to be close enough for any practical purpose.

It's like OVH saying their BHS data center is in the US. What's 50 miles between friends? DC to Ashburn is only 30 miles, so who cares?

• @Orpheus said: Well, flipperhost do have washington DC VPS on sale for 4.99/month + their 15% promotion

Do you have a link to that? I only see Florida and Texas...

• I hear bitcable.com is really good but its a bit more pricey at $8/mo (and run by a college kid apparently ... if that matters).

• @bdtech said: run by a college kid

Hostgator and facebook both were started from dorm room.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • I got vps in choopa now in NJ that is pretty close. Let us know if we can help you out.

• @24khost said: I got vps in choopa now in NJ that is pretty close. Let us know if we can help you out.

not very close...

Thanked by 1tux
  • why do you need it so close to DC? there won't be much difference in latency and ping.

• OrpheusOrpheus Member
    edited September 2012

@Windy said: Do you have a link to that? I only see Florida and Texas...

Sorry, my mistake it's not flipperhost. Its from spacerich with $4.99 - 15% promo.
    Here is the link

• @liam said: Softlayer is in Virginia.

Don't get fooled.

Liam you are right, in spacerich page, they actually said

VPS detailed in this page are housed in SoftLayer Datacenter, at Washington, D.C., USA. SoftLayer D.C. is located in a private N+1 data center facility just 7 miles from Dulles airport in Chantilly, Virginia.

• NJ/NYC usually has excellent latency to DC. Unless if you are building an app relying on AWS or DynamoDB would you probably insist on DC.

• @bdtech said: I hear bitcable.com is really good but its a bit more pricey at $8/mo (and run by a college kid apparently ... if that matters).

It doesn't matter.

FYI, we're about 2.5 ms from SoftLayer's WDC facility.

@liam: Thanks for the tag.

• @bdtech said: NJ/NYC usually has excellent latency to DC.

From Piscataway, NJ, it's about 7.5 ms to SoftLayer WDC.

• maybe there are other vps provider around WDC? i'm looking at below 10ms latency to virginia. i am also looking at price tag of 4++/m or below at the moment.

@Bitcable said: FYI, we're about 2.5 ms from SoftLayer's WDC facility.

That is good enough, however your price tag didnt meet my requirement. do you do customized package?

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Liam said:
    in virgina

It doesn't matter

• @dnwk said:

Back from the grave..

• dnwkdnwk Member

@MrObvious said:

Plants vs Zombie

• @bdtech said:
    I hear bitcable.com is really good but its a bit more pricey at $8/mo (and run by a college kid apparently ... if that matters).

Bitcable / Preetam has been putting a good show, and recent offer at WHT offers a 50% off promo, which brings it at $4.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@peppr said:

Do you have links?

• dnwkdnwk Member

Thanks. Use them before. Performance is amazing. Just so pricey. Can't afford it. With the coupon. Feels better.

• Is it reliable? One man show?