Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SERVER - VIRTUALIZATION - Hosting and Training Purpose - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SERVER - VIRTUALIZATION - Hosting and Training Purpose

2»

Comments

• In fact, I am doing the opposite. I am trying to Google before, to have less problems in a near future.
    About Xen x KVM, I read something I liked.
    https://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/systems-management/327628-kvm-or-xen-choosing-a-virtualization-platform
    Looks like that in a near future, KVM will pass Xen.

@earl
    I read about proxmox. But I do not want to use OpenVZ. I want to install Windows and Linux. :)

@WhiteLabelHosting
    Thank you!
    I am planning to install CentOS in this laptop, install KVM and try to use Windows Xp and Linux in it (at the same time). The problem it is not like VMWare you can use 2 or 3 at the same time with Workstation. I hope KVM developers can adjust this in a near future.

• tuxtux Member

I read about proxmox. But I do not want to use OpenVZ. I want to install Windows and Linux. :)

With Proxmox you can install both Windows (KVM) and Linux (OpenVZ and KVM).

Thanked by 1earl
  • I read about proxmox. But I do not want to use OpenVZ. I want to install Windows and Linux. :)

To be honest I really think you are making this more difficult than what it really is!! instead of contemplating on what you are going to do you will probably learn more if you actually tried something..I really think that you are confusing your self more than you have to by reading too much and not doing enough

• @earl
    Ok, but I will not use proxmox.
    Is it used by all big companies?
    And I find a KVM tutorial in CentOs page. I'll try it.

When I ask here, it is like to choose between Nikon or Canon. Each person (experience) will say what they think about.
    Some do not use any of them because they can not pay. And... for this they will say bad things about these 2 brands.

I'll update in a near future.

• @DragonDF said: Ok, but I will not use proxmox.

Well you don't have to use proxmox, I just suggested it cause it was easy to use.. also if you did try it you don't have to commit to it if you decide later on that you don't like it, at least then you know what proxmox is!!

@DragonDF said: And I find a KVM tutorial in CentOs page. I'll try it.

Good site you can check for tutorials:
    http://www.howtoforge.com

@DragonDF said: I'll update in a near future.

Sure let us know how you are progressing..

• DragonDFDragonDF Member
    edited January 2012

@earl
    Thank you!

--
    Like the notebook is 64bits, I need to choose something good but in the SAME CONDITION people who sell VPS use.
    I had doubts about Net Install or Minimal Install and this link help me a bit:
    http://www.chenit.com.au/blog/centos-6-2-net-install-vs-minimal-install/
    And the author gives you a new LINK:
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/20379/centos-6-default-installation-options

BETWEEN OPTIONS, WE CAN SEE:

Desktop: base, basic-desktop, core, debugging, desktop-debugging, desktop-platform, directory-client, fonts, general-desktop, graphical-admin-tools, input-methods, internet-applications, internet-browser, java-platform, legacy-x, network-file-system-client, office-suite, print-client, remote-desktop-clients, server-platform, x11

Minimal Desktop: base, basic-desktop, core, debugging, desktop-debugging, desktop-platform, directory-client, fonts, input-methods, internet-browser, java-platform, legacy-x, network-file-system-client, print-client, remote-desktop-clients, server-platform, x11

Minimal: core

**Basic Server: base, console-internet, core, debugging, directory-client, hardware-monitoring, java-platform, large-systems, network-file-system-client, performance, perl-runtime, server-platform

Database Server: base, console-internet, core, debugging, directory-client, hardware-monitoring, java-platform, large-systems, network-file-system-client, performance, perl-runtime, server-platform

**Web Server: base, console-internet, core, debugging, directory-client, java-platform, mysql-client, network-file-system-client, performance, perl-runtime, php, postgresql-client, server-platform, turbogears, web-server, web-servlet

Virtual Host: base, console-internet, core, debugging, directory-client, hardware-monitoring, java-platform, large-systems, network-file-system-client, performance, perl-runtime, server-platform, -virtualization, virtualization-client, virtualization-platform-

Software Development Workstation: additional-devel, base, basic-desktop, core, debugging, desktop-debugging, desktop-platform, desktop-platform-devel, development, directory-client, eclipse, emacs, fonts, general-desktop, graphical-admin-tools, graphics, input-methods, internet-browser, java-platform, legacy-x, network-file-system-client, performance, perl-runtime, print-client, remote-desktop-clients, server-platform, server-platform-devel, technical-writing, tex, virtualization, virtualization-client, virtualization-platform, x11

So, after read it, I THINK the best option is choose for NET INSTALLATION and choose one of the SERVER's options (I think the correct is VIRTUAL HOST, because it has "virtualization, virtualization-client, virtualization-platform" like options.

I could not see an option to download the .ISO with the configuration I need (64 bits, Virtual Host).

My other doubt was: Can I install it with a PENDRIVE?
    In other times, I downloaded the .ISO file and... for my SURPRISE, it did not work to INSTALL. Something like: it could not make AUTO RUN from the CD.
    Like I am not the owner of CD or DVDs companies, I will do it this time with my PENDRIVE.
    If the iso is not correct or corrupt, I can download again and again.
    I saw in some forums people who lost more than 7 CDs to install it in a Laptop.

If you need to do like I want, you can read this:
    http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

http://www.brool.com/index.php/installing-centos-on-an-external-usb-drive

Let me see if I can do it.
    :)

• Maybe others will need to install KVM on CentOs 6.2, too.
    For this, I think this post can be useful:
    http://cumptrnrd.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/kvm-in-centos-6-2/

It was made 8 days ago.

Others links:

Centos' Wiki has KVM info only about version 5.
    http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM
    But it gives a good direction and some steps to follow.

In HowtoForge you can see something, but for 6.0 server:

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-a-centos-6.0-server

And I could see in CentOS forum, a today's thread about

Network install of Centos 6.2 64-bit fails to retrieve install.img
    https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=DESC&topic_id=35335&forum=55&move=next&topic_time=1326845620

Now.. waiting for download the x86_64-netinstall.iso (44KB/s... \o/ )

• What you learn is not so important has how you learn and documenting what you do. You have to be methodical, build up an asset base of scripts all the time, and keep all that information on hand at all time.
    Whatever you do learn to script it thoroughly and monitor it and keep those scripts in a project management system. In short get organised, that counts for more than fancy technical know how.

• 1st difficult: to run it in a PENDRIVE. It is crazy but it is not working.
    There is an option better that to try to use the Cento's Wiki about to run in a USB drive.
    You can download and run a specific software called Unetbootin: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I found a CD RW and downloaded the 200Mb version (net install) for a 64bits laptop.
    But I got an error that I could not solve, it. You can see here, the print screens:

http://www.redwireservices.com/centos-rhel-install-fails-to-find-dvd#comment-52

It is hard to install CentOS and it is SO EASY TO INSTALL Windows.
    I'll download a bigger .ISo file and see if it will run.

• Sorry guys, but after some tries... I installed a Win 7 in my notebook. At least I can use it for something. The biggest problem was: I could not find the DRIVERS to use video, usb, webcam, etc. etc.
    I continue trying to learn how to manage a VPS to run a Hosting business.
    I'll try to learn using another way.
    :(

• @DragonDF said: I could not find the DRIVERS to use video, usb, webcam, etc. etc.

Hehe, start doing that :P

• ahahahah
    It is funny but it is the truth.

For example: when I format the laptop, nothing was working. Neither USB, neither Internet cards. Only "mouse pad", keyboard, DVD and video. Nothing else.
    So, how can I find it?
    In windows I know I have some options. Specially if you want to use Everest or another software to find your hardware details.

And in LINUX?

I do not have idea.

:(

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2012

In linux most things work out of the box. Wireless and probably sound are hard.
    Wireless, most Realtek and Atheros work fine currently.
    Video is sometimes complicated when you need to adjust resolution and so, but generally you install the drivers from Ati/Nvidia sites and the Intel one is open source if I remember correctly.

• But how can the sites know the driver you need?

How you can use INTERNET if you do not have drivers for your cards?

Sure, I can get from another computer, but how to identify your drivers in Linux? Is there an option?
    Using CentOs (or trying but it is almost impossible)

Each day I can see why Microsoft is each day RICHER.

• Look up what the hardware in your laptop is, most likely you have a broadcom wifi chip, and some distros you need to install the firmware for it. Or just install Ubuntu, it's packaged with a ton of drivers.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @DragonDF said: Sure, I can get from another computer, but how to identify your drivers in Linux? Is there an option?

That's why the laptop users use Ubuntu. (which I hate)

Ahm, according to what you say, I am not understanding something...

You identify "devices" not "drivers".
    So, if you don't know what devices yo have, go to your Windows and install Everest-Aida64. How? Get other computer.

If you are looking for what driver to use for X or Y device, that's different. Look for lspci and lsusb commands and their man pages. That will show you some strings and PCI IDs which you can google.

Obviously you won't go nowhere without another computer.

Also, is weird, but I am almost sure you have at least Ethernet (unless you have a weird device, like one of my motherboards with an Atheros Ethernet card o_O )

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited March 2012

@DragonDF said: Using CentOs (or trying but it is almost impossible)

If you want a desktop laptop where you can use sound/graphics/3d and such, forget CentOS.

@yomero said: That's why the laptop users use Ubuntu. (which I hate)

CentOS is my preferred Linux OS but I gotta use Ubuntu/Kubuntu if I want a graphical environment. :)

Thanked by 2yomero DragonDF
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@kiloserve said: If you want a desktop laptop where you can use sound/graphics/3d and such, forget CentOS.

+1 on that.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Guys!
    Thank you for your replies.

Also, is weird, but I am almost sure you have at least Ethernet (unless you have a weird device, like one of my motherboards with an Atheros Ethernet card o_O )

No, I did not have. This was the problem.

What did I do?
    I went in the manufacturer's webpage to get, at least, ethernet driver.
    I installed it and used a nice software (I knew Everest, but this one is better) called 'slimdrivers'.
    It is very good.
    It does everything for you.
    Before (using Everest) I needed to identify 'devices' (sorry) and than try to find drivers in driver-guideCOM or in another place. Really difficult.

In the final, I forget Linux and installed Windows and VmWare to install Linux for test purposes.

The problem in my mind is: it is very difficult to use Linux.
    I do not know why, but EVERY time I try to use CENTOs and... things never happened.
    Some tutorials did not work.

I don't know. I haven't had luck.

I will start with a reseller account to test the use of Cpanel and in a near future I will try something else.

PS: I got a VPS with Chicago and it is running JAVA. So, at least this I can do.

thank you again.

Sorry for delay. I haven't had much time to come here.

• @DragonDF don't get offended but if your goal is to start a hosting business my advice would be this:

• Learn basic linux usage (install, configuration's, scripting, log reading and analyze)
    • As soon as covered the past step, get a reseller account and begin with a couple of clients, this will give you an idea on support issues.
    • Select a virtualization technology, it has been already covered in the forums pro's and con's if you want something easy to start and get a taste, begin with OpenVZ after that migrate to Xen or KVM.
    • Dont use a distro like Proxmox or scripts that install and setup everything for you, instead, try from scratch, the more you learn the better you will be at solving issues with your VPS.
    • Keep trying, if you hope to have everything running without any problems since the beginning, then this isn't such a good idea and you should just get a managed server from a provider.

Remember you have to read, read again and read all over again. analyze what you read and have patience, visit multiple forums (one for your os selection, another for your virtualization technology, and another for hosting or sys admins)

Hope this helps you a bit.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Hi thekreek!
    I can not be offended for a person who is trying to help and giving his real opinion.
    In fact I opened a few other threads here about what you suggest, too.
    But, I think it is better to LEARN in practice. Sure it is good to read and read. And I can assure you, I did it a lot. Maybe I try to find in incorrect places.
    By the way, I will start with a reseller account.

Thank you!

• i would suggest OpenVZ, if you are planing to sell Linux, and no you do not need to study and training or what so ever. spend the money on good
    hardware.

• TazTaz Member

@Randy said: you do not need to study and training or what so ever

Worst piece of advice I have ever heard from anyone. Sorry, but this is just, WTF!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Now this is an old thread...
    I dont know why you want centos, it is not great for a desktop/laptop, whatever but for servers.
    Use ubuntu for desktop, or other like mandriva/fedora. I would go with ubuntu since it has many ppl willing to help.
    M

• Yes, Ubuntu have nice design. In the old time, I use Suse and Mandriva. But maybe now Fedora is nice too.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Fedora is nice and has the latest drivers and packages. Also Suse is fine, but Ubuntu has a company behind which is focused on helping ppl to learn linux.
    M

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Ubuntu, linux for Humans. But it is good for DESKTOP like you mentioned.

I tried to use CentOS because people here and in other forums wrote it was the best option for SERVERS.
    But, like I wrote before, I had not good luck with it. Every tutorial I tried to use did not work or give a problem. It was hard to find people who really want or could help in anything.
    When I typed about my laptop experience to create a test in Virtualization with CentOs... I did not know how to INSTALL a driver (or at least how to find the devices' info in Linux).
    In Windows, things were done in a few minutes using SLIMDRIVES (get this name, you will not lose your time to find drivers).

My intention was use my new laptop for this purpose.
    What did I do? Install Win 7 Ultimate, VmWare Workstation and ... sure it is not the same thing.
    The problem in Linux is to find a good source of INFO (tutorials, forums, etc) that are actualized.

I hope I can learn it better in a near future.
    At this time I got a reseller account with Cpanel and I have a VPS with 2Gb ram where I installed JAVA to use Liferay (if you are from PHP you usually use Joomla, Java has a powerful option: Liferay.

Have a nice weekend!

• opps, i have not seen the date, blame the user who bumped the thread

• ahahahahahha
    I can not see any problem if the THREAD is old.
    Did you see the problem solved?
    I get out and stop to try. It was this that happenend.

And in my case, I am not happy with this.
    I'd like to learn Linux and do not need to use Windows like I need (softwares, etc.).

Every time Linux loses a battle to Windows, windows grow a bit more $$$$.

And thank you guys to "re-open" and OLD THREAD. One guy just say 'BUMP OLD THREAD.' and did not give any opinion about what was treat in the thread. So, looks like it is much important if the thread is old or not than the CONTENT.

Thank you all member who gave their opinions about this thread about server virtualization.