Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla vs. FluxBB vs. MyBB siege test - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vanilla vs. FluxBB vs. MyBB siege test

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

freevps.us is a MyBB forum that runs on a leb last time I heard - @dmmcintyre3?

• earlearl Member

@raindog308 said: freevps.us is a MyBB forum

Yeah I think it's pretty nice for a free forum, it has the same look and feel as Vbulletin.

• earlearl Member

I just noticed that a lot of big boards like Debian, Virtualbox, Videolan, Wacom, Fujitsu all use phpBB

• @raindog308 said: freevps.us is a MyBB forum that runs on a leb last time I heard - @dmmcintyre3?

It's on a 96mb OVZ

• zserozsero Member
    edited March 2013

@skirtTight said: OP, would you mind adding phpbb to the table?

Yes, I might, but since the time of the original thread Prometeus migrated the OpenVZ node to a faster Xeon and also I went from OpenVZ to KVM (to a different node), so things might be different. I might need to do the whole thing again I guess. So do you want added +MyBB +phpBB?

• Would you mind to put SMF on your test bed?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

http://forum.lowendspirit.com runs FluxBB on 64mb OVZ I still cant get over how snappy it is :)

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited March 2013

@AnthonySmith said: http://forum.lowendspirit.com runs FluxBB on 64mb OVZ I still cant get over how snappy it is :)

Tiny db yet :) PunBB used to run into issues with a large db -- to do with search indexing IIRC -- that caused it to slow down significantly and suck memory. But that was a couple years back. I haven't followed it recently.

• zserozsero Member
    edited March 2013

OK, so the ones you are interested in are:
    Vanilla, MyBB, FluxBB, SMF, phpBB, PunBB
    ?

• @KuJoe said: I've always been a fan on MyBB but I always thought of it as a "heavier" software similar to IPB and vB.

Hell MyBB is magic. Give it a small bit of optimization and it screams.

• How about adding bbPress as well ?

I know it runs on top of WordPress as a plugin, but still a choice for many using WP already.

• MunMun Member

I will just say this. Even though Vanilla maybe slower, it is a TON better. It allows for more functionality, and has common things you would want in a modern day forums anyways. Fluxbb has them lacking still. Like friendly URLs still isn't built in.

• zserozsero Member

@vanarp said: How about adding bbPress as well ?

I can add it as well. The interesting thing about it is that WP has a variety of caching plugins, what can work really well, but I don't know how well integrated they are with bbPress. Does anyone know if W3TC or Super Cache works with bbPress?

• bbPress folks claim that:

bbPress is lean, mean, and ready to take on any job you throw at it.

i would like to see its performance stats without WP caching.

• zserozsero Member
    edited March 2013

@vanarp said: i would like to see its performance stats without WP caching.

OK, so I'll do one with and without W3TC. But Wordpress without caching is a no go. It could eat the most powerful computer just from a couple of connections.

• @zsero said: It could eat the most powerful computer just from a couple of connections.

Why so? Isn't it the same php & mysql that any forum is using in the backend?

I usually test my WP installations (php-fpm, nginx & mysql) using blitz.io and the results are not really bad.

• zserozsero Member
    edited March 2013

Wordpress without caching is crazily slow, uses a large number of SQL queries and lot of resources.

Did some tests
    WP empty site, no plugins and globally disabled comments (this is unrealistic, the slowest part of WP are the plugins): 26 trans / sec, drops 87% at -c200

W3TC + alternative PHP cache: 328 trans / sec, no drops at -c200

@vanarp said: Isn't it the same php & mysql that any forum is using in the backend?

Yes, in the same way as how printf( "Hello World" ); uses the same C as the Linux kernel :-)

• @zsero Thank you for the quick tests. The results have enlightened me :)

• earlearl Member

@Mun said: I will just say this. Even though Vanilla maybe slower, it is a TON better.

I think Vanilla is great too, but would you really use it thinking that it may be a turn off to people who is unfamiliar with Vanilla? It may affect your membership base.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Rallias said: Give it a small bit of optimization and it screams.

What would be some typical MyBB optimizations?

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited March 2013

+1 @raindog308.

That would be very interesting. I went to check your blog out after reading your comment @Rallias, but it appears that you have taken it down :(

• MunMun Member

in ~/conf/config.php for vanilla forums add this code:

$Configuration['Cache']['Enabled'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcache';

or

$Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcached';

Sometimes one is borked, but usually I like memcached. It is the ultra secret of the universe, so don't tell anyone.

• zserozsero Member

@Mun said: in ~/conf/config.php for vanilla forums add this code:

$Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcache';

or

$Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcached';

Sometimes one is borked, but usually I like memcached. It is the ultra secret of the universe, so don't tell anyone.

@Mun, is there such a thing for PHP APC?

• MunMun Member

@zsero said: @Mun, is there such a thing for PHP APC?

Not sure.

• @zsero said: Yes, I might, but since the time of the original thread Prometeus migrated the OpenVZ node to a faster Xeon and also I went from OpenVZ to KVM (to a different node), so things might be different. I might need to do the whole thing again I guess. So do you want added +MyBB +phpBB?

Yeah, all I wana know is how fluxbb and phpbb cope. mybb isn't really something I would ever use.

But a forum comparison i never a good comparison if it doesn't include phpbb, the most popular board on the world ;/

• @zsero said: OK, so the ones you are interested in are:

Vanilla, MyBB, FluxBB, SMF, phpBB, PunBB

Have you got a chance to complete this testing?

• @vanarp said: Have you got a chance to complete this testing?

+1 to that. Any update?

• zserozsero Member
    edited March 2013

As I promised I'll be doing a 2nd part of this test, as soon as I have time for it. At the moment I don't have time for it, maybe in the next month I'll have.

• nice discussion for forum owners. im using vanilla bcz

• simple
    • light weight and Super SEO frendly :)

This is my site old 1 year http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/geek.lk

• OllieOllie Member
    edited March 2013

Vanilla is very nice, it's lite weight and effective. Just look at LowEndTalk! :>