Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean's True VPS review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean's True VPS review

luis123456luis123456 Member
edited July 2012 in Reviews

Ok, so I was just testing the Digital Ocean service (they have a free trial, if you want too).

I was able to convince them to get the 512 MB machine. It comes with 1 GHZ CPU and 20 GB space, out of which I use 1 for swap, Now, it works seamlessly.

Here's a quick benck mark:

[root@2tyz ~]# sh bench.sh

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.14.0
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency : 2127.998 MHz
Total amount of ram : 490 MB
Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
System uptime : 20:10,
Download speed from CacheFly: 12.4MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 2.23MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 1.68MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.82MB/s
Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 22.4MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.07MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 296KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 423KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 471KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 725KB/s
I/O speed : 24.6 MB/s

[root@2tyz ~]# ioping . -c 10

4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=1 time=0.4 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=2 time=0.5 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=3 time=0.6 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=4 time=0.4 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=5 time=0.5 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=6 time=0.5 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=7 time=0.4 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=8 time=0.5 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=9 time=0.5 ms
4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/sda): request=10 time=0.4 ms

--- . (ext4 /dev/sda) ioping statistics ---
10 requests completed in 9007.4 ms, 2099 iops, 8.2 mb/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 0.4/0.5/0.6/0.1 ms

[root@2tyz ~]# free -mt

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 490 91 399 0 20 14
-/+ buffers/cache: 57 433
Swap: 1023 2 1021
Total: 1514 94 1420

[root@2tyz ~]# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda 20G 4.0G 15G 22% /
none 246M 192K 246M 1% /dev/shm

That's it for now. I am using it as a VNC Desktop, for browsing the Web. It's from Amsterdam. IP: 141.0.175.213

Comments

• flyfly Member

wow that disk performance is really crappy.... ioping is elevated and I/O is....

• NevilNevil Member

@luis123456 said: . It comes with 1 GHZ CPU

Oh really?

I see one core of a CPU at 2.10GHz.

• My crappy Linode is faster.

Thanked by 1DanielM
  • flyfly Member
    edited July 2012

@MrLadoodle said: My crappy Linode is faster.

lolwat

@liam said: Just to note: He gets the vps for free by spamming around a review.

Oh this is the guy who is like 10 years old and was begging for ops on a minecraft server

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • flyfly Member

according to https://www.digitalocean.com/features they use SSD's... 24.6mB/s on an ssd and unstable ioping? lolwat.

• @kbar said: Oh this is the guy who is like 10 years old and was begging for ops on a minecraft server

Ok, this was a feedback test. This is not spam, this is a true review, but this is where I get what the average LET member would reply if it were another things. I just wanted to hear that.

For good people, here is the location of the VPS: (city level) http://wikimapia.org/#lat=52.295616&lon=4.9787597&z=11&l=3&m=b

• flyfly Member

"true review"

sounds legit

• I got the trial today, and the benchmark is here :

http://www.lebstats.com/2012/07/28/digitalocean-256mb-20gb-unmetered-cloud.html

I was just about to make a review, but I saw this post :D

• flyfly Member

yeah i grabbed the free service trial as well. and it sucks

• yomeroyomero Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said: I was just about to make a review, but I saw this post :D

They bill you by hour???
    And they accept Paypal? If so, I am interested :P

• @yomero said: And they accept Paypal? If so, I am interested :P

It doesn't look like they accept Paypal:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/what-form-of-payments-do-you-accept

• TazTaz Member

If this is what cloud feels like, I don't wanna get high.

• Well just saw this, looks like you'll need to open a ticket to be able to pay with Paypal.

http://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digital-ocean/suggestions/3034251-add-paypal-payment-option

• yomeroyomero Member

@carlosg said: It doesn't look like they accept Paypal:

So, to the end of september huh...

I ask because I like this kind of services, start an intansce, do your crap, shutdown, end of history. Sometimes you need this kind of servers to do specific tasks/tests.

• Yeah, I like the idea too, and it's a lot cheaper than rackspace.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • TazTaz Member

For hourly instance, Amazon ftw.

• yomeroyomero Member

@NinjaHawk said: For hourly instance, Amazon ftw.

I've heard bad stories.
    CPU uber capped, bad IO, network sucks.. etc. Of course YMMV (my)

Anyway, I want to try their micro spot instances, seems to be the cheapest thing they have.

• @yomero said: CPU uber capped, bad IO, network sucks.. etc. Of course YMMV (my)

I heard about them months ago, didn't bother with the trial until I saw that serverbear interviewed them.

Tried out the trial, it was horrible. Really horrible.
    Really crammed network, cpu etc.

• kamalnasserkamalnasser Member
    edited January 2013

To everyone with negative reviews, I've asked them and it turns out that they limit the trial's resources to prevent abuse.

I've been with them for almost two months now and I don't see myself switching to another provider in the near future. Their network is great, I/O better than most of the providers on lowendbox and CPUs aren't capped, can't be more satisfied.

• @kamalnasser said: I've been with them for almost two months now and I don't see myself switching to another provider in the near future. Their network is great, I/O better than most of the providers on lowendbox and CPUs aren't capped, can't be more satisfied.

Sharing "real" results would be helpful then.

• We use their NL location as a backup server with zero problems so far!

• @Patrick said: Sharing "real" results would be helpful then.

Sure, will post benchmarks later today.

• This thread is months old..

• kamalnasserkamalnasser Member
    edited January 2013

I've done these on a 256MB droplet in New York.

freevps.us's bench.sh:
    root@benchmark:~# bash bench.sh CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0 Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 1999.999 MHz Total amount of ram : 243 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 2 min, Download speed from CacheFly: 25.2MB/s Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 8.59MB/s Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 1.80MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.39MB/s Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 1.30MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 800KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.44MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.84MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.68MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.25MB/s I/O speed : 280 MB/s

ioping
    root@benchmark:~# ioping . -c 10 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=1 time=0.2 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=2 time=0.4 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=3 time=0.3 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=4 time=0.4 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=5 time=0.4 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=6 time=0.3 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=7 time=0.4 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=8 time=0.5 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=9 time=0.4 ms 4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT): request=10 time=0.3 ms

--- . (ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9008.2 ms, 2771 iops, 10.8 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.2/0.4/0.5/0.1 ms

disk
    root@benchmark:~# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda 20G 697M 19G 4% / udev 120M 4.0K 120M 1% /dev tmpfs 49M 212K 49M 1% /run none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock none 122M 0 122M 0% /run/shm none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user

• For $5 acceptable :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

Nowhere else gets you 15 TB/mo of Tor for $5.

• I only have about $6 credit on my account with them but its lasting ages because I only use it as an on demand vpn. I have created an image with a fully configured vpn server so all I have to do is create a new server and 60 secs later I'm connected to the vpn.