Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What service is not readily available in this industry?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What service is not readily available in this industry?

CoreyCorey Member
edited November 2012 in General

In your opinion as a company or customer, what service is not readily available for your company or personal needs in this industry? Are there any new products that are needed in this sector that you can't get your hands on?

Comments

• KVM are the way things are heading as much everyone there says... I like it a lot and there is no reason to learn XEN after you learn KVM.

• Agreed.

• @Corey said: KVM are the way things are heading as much everyone there says... I like it a lot and there is no reason to learn XEN after you learn KVM.

You asked what products are needed that people can't get a hold off. From this request at least 1 potential customer if not more are requesting it.

You asked for suggestions.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Better, more customized templates designed for beginners who want more control but have no idea why or how to use it. You know the kind...would be best with shared hosting but they're too stubborn. Hold their hand, charge them for it.

Think turnkey but better. Obstacle is time. Arguable if its a service, depends on implementation and marketing.

• @concerto49 said: XEN SSD

+1

Especially on the very lowend scale.

• @jarland said: Better, more customized templates designed for beginners who want more control but have no idea why or how to use it. You know the kind...would be best with shared hosting but they're too stubborn. Hold their hand, charge them for it.

This. Templates for every single free control panel, things like a LAMP stack with Wordpress or a forum, etc.

I'd consider it a service, and something worth marketing. "Hey newb, join us! We have more OS templates than you can shake a stick at! Want to try Webmin, zPanel, ISPConfig, Kloxo all in the same hour?"

• @MannDude said: his. Templates for every single free control panel, things like a LAMP stack with Wordpress or a forum, etc.

@jarland said: Think turnkey but better.

What's not-good about Turnkey?

• I'd like to see providers offering some kind of load balancer solution, with automatic IP failover. I'd like to set up 2 VPSes as load balancers in a active/passive setup, with at least 4 backend VPSes. If the active load balancer goes down (whether it's from hardware failure, an abuser on the same node, or something else), I'd like the second one (with identical configuration) to take over, with the same IP address. Combined with a properly functioning private network, this would allow me to reduce my IPv4 usage from 6 IPs in this scenario down to 1.

• @NickM said: some kind of load balancer solution, with automatic IP failover

+1! This would be awesome, although I appreciate that getting such a solution up and running might be a pain.

@Damian said: What's not-good about Turnkey?

They're not exactly optimised, from what I can remember.
    It'd be awesome if there were pre-optimised templates, ready to handle a moderate amount of traffic without falling over too quickly.

That said, it would require the provider updating templates on a regular basis, causing additional and potentially avoidable headaches when everyone using the same template gets exploited.

• I got the perfect Xen SSD domain names if anyone is interested in launching a project. PM me ;-)

@Damien said: What's not-good about Turnkey?

It's not that they're bad, just not good enough for the real newbie. Almost, and some are perfect as-is now that I think about it, but many could use work to achieve what I'm talking about.

• native ipv6 and ipv4 on request to keep costs really low

• @Damian said: What's not-good about Turnkey?

bloated

• @BronzeByte said: native ipv6 and ipv4 on request to keep costs really low

industry is on it's way to native ipv6 but it will take a while since you still can't access some very popular sites with ivp6.

• @Corey said: industry is on it's way to native ipv6 but it will take a while since you still can't access some very popular sites with ivp6.

That, and cPanel still hasn't got support for it. It's coming though, with 11.36, but I don't know how that will look. I hope it support Virtualmin-style assignment: shared IPv4 but private IPv6.

• @concerto49 said: XEN SSD

ServerHub offers Xen SSD for a while, with price from $9.95/month, it's not LEB but isn't too far from it :D

• JTRJTR Member
    edited December 2012

Cheap load balancing would be an interesting thing to see, but it's probably impractical.

Backup space (like BuyVM offers) is also not often given for free to customers.

DDoS protection is rare and expensive, but I'm not sure that it's a reasonable service to expect at a low price (afaik only BuyVM and BurstNet offer it on VPSs, buyvm as a addon, burstnet as a limited feature on all of their vps).

• @JTR said: DDoS protection

Yep.

IPV6 will probably take a few months to years more before they can get rolled out for all providers. Only a few are offering it right now.

Which companies are offering load balancing and auto failover atm?

• pcanpcan Member
    edited December 2012

I haven't found yet any LEB provider of full Windows 2012 remote desktops. The full Windows remote desktop (available since Windows 2008R2+SP1) is not a RDP remote desktop. RDP is slow and has limited support for 3D graphics and audio. The new Windows 8 / Windows2012 native remote desktop protocol is called RemoteFX, uses a different TCP port, and need to be backed by a Hyper-V host with a GPU graphics card. On Windows 2012, Microsoft removed the unrealistic constraints on the graphics card: it is now possible to use a standard, cheap Directx11 consumer card (with native WDDM 1.20 Windows 8 drivers). RemoteFX can work without a hardware GPU, but this is not a recomended setup.
    The remote desktop connection application in Windows 7 SP1 / Windows 8 supports the connection to RemoteFX hosts. The setup is easy and the only license involved is the regular Windows 2012 datacenter license for the host.

• OpenVZ VPS that are not oversold.

• @Jack said: @JTR what DDoS protection do burst net offer?

Limited attack mitigation with Cisco Guard for all their plans. I'm pretty sure they'll only do sub-1Gbit attacks on the VPSs though, but it's better than nothing.

• Low end dedis (like kimsufi's mKS 2G).

High bandwidth services.

Servers in russia (not for warez).

• Not enough Pocket Torches

I would Ike to see more providers making CPU/IO/net usage graphs publicly available. Sure, those could be gamed but experiences relayed here could act as something of a counterbalance.

Oh and WHMCS sucks for sign up the first few times (awful UI) and solusvm feels antiquated and cumbersome.

• @skirtTight said: High bandwidth services.

>

@Jarland has you covered for those.

• bamnbamn Member
    edited December 2012

@skirtTight said: Low end dedis (like kimsufi's mKS 2G).

@BlueVM does "quarter servers" in that price range and Dacentec/DataShack have you covered on budget hardware with Dacentec's RTO (rent to own) offer. I have a Supermicro L5420 with them for about $80/mo with my custom configuration and love it.

edited December 2012

@bamn said: @BlueVM does "quarter servers" in that price range

They run like beasts too.

• @bamn said: @BlueVM does "quarter servers" in that price range and Dacentec/DataShack have you covered on budget hardware with Dacentec's RTO (rent to own) offer. I have a Supermicro L5420 with them for about $80/mo with my custom configuration and love it.

Barely have any bandie on them

• I want a VPS that'll tie my shoes for me.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I want a VPS that'll tie my shoes for me

They're working on that down at Dewlance. AutoTie, they call it.