Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to buy SSL certificate for a webshop. Where to look for? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need to buy SSL certificate for a webshop. Where to look for?

2»

Comments

• Namecheap.

• AndriAndri Member
    edited November 2012

@Kris said: Free doesn't mean it's not safe.

Thanks for remind me, mate. We should educate some customers about this too. I was talking about trust, not security. Sys-admin like most of LET visitors are understand about security, that both free SSL and paid SSL are the same. But I don't think all of customers do. I believe that was why the OP need seal for his site: so custumers feels safe doing business with him.

• http://gogetssl.com have a nice offers with a good price.

• @Cirium said: Just tried visiting your bsie.net site, getting a certificate not trusted error on my iPhone 4S.

Thank you for the notification :)
    I will try to find some fix for it. Maybe it's my wrong configuration in Nginx

• @Freek said: you need to manually renew the SSL certificate every month

You may manually renew you domain auth every month, but once you get a cert from them, it last for 12 months. Of course, after one year, you also need to manually renew it.
    Anyway, StartSSL is nice for "low end" websites, and I also agree that their website sucks.

• If you're looking for Thawte SSL we've got some https://www.cloudshards.com/ssl.php - can give you some discounts if needed.

• @vpsnodebox had some interesting deals @ztec -- http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/126563 (for Wildcards). Apparently CheapSSLs.com for single.

• I like rapidssl myself.

• DeanDean Member
    edited November 2012

I use GoDaddy for my SSL certs. Use Code cjc499s to get a $4.99 Standard SSL certificate - When entering the details, I choose Starfield Technologies so GoDaddy doesn't show in the cert ;-) I think this offer expires tomorrow... Can then get 5 years for $29.94

Otherwise I think it's promo code PROMOSSL for a $13 SSL cert.

The standard certs include a seal that is clickable too ;-)

http://www.godaddy.com/compare/gdcompare3_ssl.aspx?isc=cjc499s

• Ignore startssl, nobody will ever take you seriously - especially if you're looking to sell things.

I recommend http://cheapssl.com :)

• @Wintereise said: Ignore startssl

They are the same with PositiveSSL, RapidSSL, AlphaSSL (old computer running Windows XP will get error with AlphaSSL).

They even offer Insurance. Well I think PositiveSSL, RapidSSL, AlphaSSL are overpriced :P

Average customers won't check which SSL you are using :D

• We had positivessl to start with but, with the ca we had issues. RapidSSL has been much better.

• @xmob said: You mean these?

https://www.startssl.com/?app=24

Yes, but when people figure out it's free they'll take you less seriously, not very logical but it's how it is and I have to live by those rules.

• @giang said: Average customers won't check which SSL you are using :D

They won't but bloggers who review your site will check this and rate it.

• @BronzeByte said: Grab a .info from namecheap for $4 and get SSL for $2 extra :P

I will do that, thanks!

• @ztec said: They won't but bloggers who review your site will check this and rate it.

Actually, no. If you plan on selling things and at a large scale - I can tell you that corporates and larger organizations with proxy servers and other network configurations BLOCK ALL SSL besides a selected few e.g. Thawte. Not self promoting. Only Thawte works at a few places I've worked at as it's the only one whitelisted.

Just a FYI.

• @concerto49 said: Actually, no. If you plan on selling things and at a large scale - I can tell you that corporates and larger organizations with proxy servers and other network configurations BLOCK ALL SSL besides a selected few e.g. Thawte. Not self promoting. Only Thawte works at a few places I've worked at as it's the only one whitelisted.

Just a FYI.

About which country are we talking?

Are you suggesting that I should use Thawte or no SSL at all?

Also bloggers don't tend to be behind huge corporate/organizations network configurations.

• I always thought SSL is just some indication that you can afford to spend $20 to cause a padlock to appear on visitors' browsers.

• @gubbyte said: I always thought SSL is just some indication that you can afford to spend $20 to cause a padlock to appear on visitors' browsers.

I totally agree, it's on client's request but I agree with him on a marketing point of view.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2012

@ztec said: About which country are we talking?

Are you suggesting that I should use Thawte or no SSL at all?

At least here (Australia) in government and a few other larger organizations that has been the case. I know this is true in a few USA places too.

I only suggest you research and get the one that works. I'm not sure - other places might only accept something else.

Look at your target audience of what you are selling and decide.

As said, this response wasn't an ad. We're not using Thawte because right now our target audience aren't in these said groups.

@gubbyte said: I always thought SSL is just some indication that you can afford to spend $20 to cause a padlock to appear on visitors' browsers.

No. If SSL certificate is blocked, your browser will crap out and present you with an ugly red page + warning. Your users will go away.

@ztec said: Also bloggers don't tend to be behind huge corporate/organizations network configurations.

Bloggers go to work? I don't think blogging is their full time job. Most people look up facebook at work if you've read the news. Bloggers blog at work. Having said that, I repeat it depends on your target audience.

• @gubbyte said: I always thought SSL is just some indication that you can afford to spend $20 to cause a padlock to appear on visitors' browsers.

Ummm, no. It's about not sending user-input in plain, readable text.

Turning the addressbar green is the sign that you have money to blow....

• @ztec said: They won't but bloggers who review your site will check this and rate it.

Then EV SSL is the best solution for you :D Godaddy offers it at $75/year if you buy 2 years :D (The cheapest EV SSL I've ever seen)