Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5.xxx IP range
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

5.xxx IP range

jkr1711jkr1711 Member
edited November 2012 in General

I've had a couple of VPS's now in Europe (DE and NL) with IPs starting with 5.xxx which I've noticed that both a) doesn't really work well with Virgin Media (routing fails) and b) doesn't work for hamachi users. Both times I've had to get IP changes to a different block for these to be remedied. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how do you deal with it?

Comments

• Hamachi moved to 25.

• jhjh Member

Are you suggesting it has something to do with the IP block? :P

My VPS at Softlayer was on 5.x.x.x and it was fine.

• Hamachi needs to die in a fire, because they're causing all sorts of problems using these netblocks that they don't own.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited November 2012

We have a /27 block of 5.x IP's within UK at Redstation and work fine (I'm also on Virgin Media)

• Nothing wrong with 5.x netblocks, issues are to do with certain ISP's not updating their old bogon lists and that bloody hamachi crap.

• Ah looks like Hamachi changed from the 5.x netblock to the 25.x block. Don't why they're squatting on IP addresses for their silly protocol. Why can't they just use their own IPv6 allocation...

Virgin Media issues were present a while back last time I had a 5.x address in Hetzner, so maybe it's back to normal again.

• We have 5.x ranges with no issues from the UK :)

• I feel poor when I am assigned a 5.x IP.

• Many uses for hamachi are older (or newer but pirated) games which no longer have master servers or working online functionality, but still work over LAN. Of course it goes without saying that the games aren't IPv6 aware.

• @gubbyte said: I feel poor when I am assigned a 5.x IP.

I had a 1.x.x.x IP visit me from China :D ... they be #1! :P

• @jkr1711 said: Ah looks like Hamachi changed from the 5.x netblock to the 25.x block. Don't why they're squatting on IP addresses for their silly protocol. Why can't they just use their own IPv6 allocation...

Why can't they just use [actual private IP ranges] instead of stealing others' in-production IPs

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@justinb said: Why can't they just use [actual private IP ranges] instead of stealing others' in-production IPs

@justinb exactly what I was thinking ... :P

• @justinb said: Why can't they just use [actual private IP ranges] instead of stealing others' in-production IPs

I guess it's like saying why can't the UK just switch to IPv6 and free up that /8 block they have for a VPN

http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/digital-policy/2012/09/ukgov-not-squatting-on-1bn-unused-ipv4-addresses/index.htm

• @justinb said: Why can't they just use [actual private IP ranges] instead of stealing others' in-production IPs

They say that it's because it would conflict with residential/office LANs, which use the same ranges. But I'm sure there are ways that that could be avoided, and they're just too stupid to figure out how.

• I have on with @onepund ... its stable and my nagios has not reported anything fishy

• @NickM said: But I'm sure there are ways that that could be avoided, and they're just too stupid to figure out how.

I reckon they could use 240.0.0.0/4 It's all reserved and unused.

• No problem with 5.xxx IPs here either.

• @Nick said: I reckon they could use 240.0.0.0/4 It's all reserved and unused.

Reserved? Yes. Unused? No. It's used for research, experimentation, etc.

And even if it wasn't unused, there would be massive problems with reclassifying that block. Most hardware and software outright blocks outgoing traffic to those addresses and prevents you from assigning those IPs to an interface. Windows does. Linux does. OS X probably does. Just try to ping an address in 240.0.0.0/4, and you'll get connect: Invalid argument in Linux. If you try to assign it to an interface, you get SIOCSIFADDR: Invalid argument and SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address.

So, if we wanted to start using 240.0.0.0/4, there's a lot of stuff that would need to be changed. The Linux kernel would need to be patched. Every device running Linux would need to be updated. Every router and switch would need to be updated. It would be a huge mess. And for what? Another year and a half or so of a delay before we run out of IPv4 addresses? It would slow down the adoption of IPv6, and almost everyone is still dragging their feet, even though we're almost out of IPv4 addresses.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

FYI, Hamachi now also use a 25.x.x.x Range, noticed this about 2 days ago.

EDIT : Noticed late it was already mentioned above :P

• @NickM said: It would be a huge mess. And for what? Another year and a half or so of a delay before we run out of IPv4 addresses? It would slow down the adoption of IPv6, and almost everyone is still dragging their feet, even though we're almost out of IPv4 addresses.

Oh absolutely. I'm not saying that 240.0.0.0/4 should be allocated - I just mean that Hamachi should squat there instead. Which appears to be technically infeasible.

• @Nick said: I'm not saying that 240.0.0.0/4 should be allocated - I just mean that Hamachi should squat there instead. Which appears to be technically infeasible.

Yeah, I sort of went off on a tangent there. But the same limitations prevent Hamachi from using that space - namely the fact that you can't assign one of those addresses to a network interface.

edited November 2012

Why can't hamachi use internal IPs ? after all its a vLAN/VPN iirc

• @SpeedBus said: Why can't hamachi use internal IPs ? after all its a vLAN/VPN iirc

Because that would conflict with the "real" internal network of the user

@gsrdgrdghd said: Because that would conflict with the "real" internal network of the user

Oh hmm, Comodo Unite does something different I think the IP is a internal only iirc again :/

• I laughed my ass off when the 5.x.x.x block was allocated for provider use. I had been warning people on MCF not to use Hamachi for a year and a half, and all of my predictions became true. Before Hamachi switched blocks again, the routing problems people had were hilarious.

• @SpeedBus would you fix LA node?

edited December 2012

@LAKid open up a ticket someone will look into it :-)

EDIT : I see it there, I'll look into it..

EDIT 2 : Done..

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I customer of mine was just assigned a 5.x address from their ISP. They will start using it by mid-december.
    Hope everything will work ok for them :)