Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scripts: Minimal & Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scripts: Minimal & Server

maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
edited December 2011 in General

Over the past few months I've been working on some simple and efficient scripts for server setup and I'm interested in feedback ;)
The scripts are below, please inform me of any bugs found or issues/suggestions you have, thanks!

Minimal: http://www.github.com/maxexcloo/Minimal
A script that minimises a Debian 6 install and removes everything but essentials.

Server: http://www.github.com/maxexcloo/Server
A simple script to set up a secure and efficient nginx/php/mysql/exim server.

Both scripts are very well documented and easy to customise. They are licenced under a GPL licence and forks/patches are most welcome.
A lot of research has gone into making the scripts and this shows in the results after they're used :P

(Small note, not the main purpose of this post, just an afterthought: I am looking for KVM/OpenVZ/Xen/Other servers to test the scripts on, if you can lend a server that can be wiped for short periods of time it would be appreciated as I don't really want to wipe my production servers :P)

Comments

• Nice. Do you mind if we include these in some VZ templates?

• @VMPort said: Nice. Do you mind if we include these in some VZ templates?

Sure. I would appreciate if you let me test them beforehand though, I don't want to cause issues for customers via a bug or something :)

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited December 2011

Yeah sure. And we would put a "Use at your own risk" warning in place if need be, im sure there good though :P

If you want to PM me an email address i can get you a VPS up to test them with our distros and then when you give us the thumbs up we can create a template from your VPS.. Let me know :)

• Minimal is an excellent script, I always use it when setting up a new VPS.

• @NickM said: Minimal is an excellent script, I always use it when setting up a new VPS.

Thanks ^^
    It's really nice to know that work you've done is being used by others :P

• I just used the server one a week ago with dotdeb. Works like a charm but I removed exim when I installed another MTA (ssmtp).

• Max's scripts are awsome, I've been using them for about a month now and they really do make setting up a new VPS insanely quick and easy. It's also nice to have half the peripheral non-required crap removed off a sub 128mb VPS.

Regards,

.Joel

• @draco, I just comment out with # anything I don't require, works perfectly.

• A hero is born.

• The only comment that I have is on the LEMP script. The documentation was a little off. I remember reading that the site-configs were at /etc/nginx/sites-available, but they are really at /etc/nginx/conf.d/host.d.

You could update that. Other than that I used the minimal script on 5 boxes yesterday, and the LEMP script on another.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Looks great, I will try it out soon :)

• If I remember, I told you to remove whiptail. And probably libnewt0.52 too.

• @dclardy yes indeed little problem with nginx :)

• @yomero said: If I remember, I told you to remove whiptail. And probably libnewt0.52 too.

I did try that but it ended up breaking apt (loads of warnings came up).

@dclardy said: The only comment that I have is on the LEMP script. The documentation was a little off. I remember reading that the site-configs were at /etc/nginx/sites-available, but they are really at /etc/nginx/conf.d/host.d.

Yea, I do have to work on some better docs for it, I'll see what I can do :)

• Weird, I don't have that things installed n_n

• Very useful, thanks :)

• @dclardy I have added full complete documentation for the server script (and I updated the docs on the minimal script too!)

Also, there are some additional scripts that may be of interest to people on my profile: http://www.github.com/maxexcloo/

Finally, I'm beginning work on a modular script that should be able to do a lot more then current scripts (it might also be compatible with other distributions!) ;) Follow the process of that here: http://www.github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall

• Thank you, this seems really handy!

• LivingSouLLivingSouL Member
    edited December 2011

Is this just for fresh install VPS? I'd like to try it on a working VPS and I'm thinking twice as it might break everything I've setup :D

• clarity_64clarity_64 Member
    edited December 2011

@LivingSouL this is for use on a Fresh Install. I would not try it on anything else. You can look at the functions in the script though, and I am sure run some of them manually.

• @LivingSoul you can just comment out with a '#' what you don't want installed. I tend to edit the .sh file, change what I want then run it.

Regards,

.Joel

• Greate Framework. I used it and works well.
    A Hosting Controll Panel would be very nice like ISCPCONFIG or EHCP

Regards
    Rene

• @reneschaub said: A Hosting Controll Panel would be very nice like ISCPCONFIG or EHCP

Those are easy to install yourself... Plus the whole point of these scripts is "Minimal". Minimal doesn't include a hosting panel ;)

@maxexcloo Thought it was about time to say thanks for these scripts. I've used them on my last 5 vps' and don't know what I would do without them!

• @Adam said: @maxexcloo Thought it was about time to say thanks for these scripts. I've used them on my last 5 vps' and don't know what I would do without them!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm actually working on some nice new scripts over at www.github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall if you're at all interested ;)