Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM: how much RAM would I need?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM: how much RAM would I need?

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hi all,

I have decided that I want to move to a KVM vps. Currently have a 512mb vServer vps from Alvotech (512mb was the lowest they offer) but I want complete OS/kernel freedom and control, that's why I think I want a KVM one.
However, free -m only shows a little usage with all sites online now:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
         Mem:           512        148        363          0          0         83
         -/+ buffers/cache:         65        446
         Swap:         2048         41       2006

So my basic question is, how much ram would I need for my KVM vps to buy?
I want apache2 running with php5-fpm, mysql, trac and a git server. Nothing too fancy.
I can choose between 256mb and 512mb, but 512mb is a lot more expensive.

I know KVM uses some more RAM as the kernel is there too, but I hope somebody could provide me with some good advice.

Regards,
Daniel

Comments

• 256mb and a gig swapfile?

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited November 2011

Thanks sir!

• Yes, 256M KVM should be fine
    @DanielM is right

• @Asim:

do you (or anyone else) know by any chance how much a bare install costs in terms of RAM? Eg how much kernel takes?

Any good reason to do go for the 512mb version instead?

• @djvdorp Well my CentOS 5.7 32bit or CentOS 6.0 64bit was taking around 39M (bare OS, no other software installed except SSH, rsyslogd etc)

Ubuntu 11.04 32bit was taking about 22M (bare OS, no other software installed except SSH, rsyslogd etc)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Asim:

thanks a lot, that helps. Would you know any good reason to still go for the 512mb instead?
    Eg, do you have any KVM vps that big and why?

• @djvdorp The only time I want to switch to 512MB or higher is when I am getting more "bang for the bucks" :)

e.g. getting 80GB of raid protected drive instead of regular 25GB/50GB etc (thats when I personally contact the host via ticket and ask them for more freebies with the 512MB or higher plan).

I have had amazing VPS to my collection lately and all are awesome VPS from awesome providers giving me top-notch performance. The only thing to ponder now is, what to do with them :p

• @djvdorp by the way, which HOST are you considering for your KVM needs?

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited November 2011

@Asim The Host House, with 40% recurring discount. I think they are great.
    Do they offer any extra bang for buck?

So is EDIS, but EDIS prices are a bit higher and as Dutch citizen I have to pay VAT on top of it..

Any advice or words from you about this (KVM in EU) ?

• @djvdorp said: So is EDIS, but EDIS prices are a bit higher and as Dutch citizen I have to pay VAT on top of it..

You pay VAT when you buy food and you can't pay it for a VPS? Support EU :P

• @djvdorp THH is amazing, I am hosting one of my primary nameservers on a XEN-HVM with them. Previously I had KVM from them too.

I had it put on monitoring by NAGIOS/Cacti/Munin and it was stable (except for one/two small instances where there was DDoS on the node). Node never reboots and there are no issues in this VPS/company whatsoever.

PyramidServer.com is also stable having KVM in EU. Although its not been too long on my NAGIOS but so far no issues.

I am also anxiously waiting for VooServers.com to introduce XEN HVM/KVM plans which they have postponed due to harddrive costs, Matt is very proactive and reports issues BEFORE I have to create a ticket about it.

In summary, Yes, EU is also stable. THH definitely recommended.

• @iKocka:
    I can afford it, but it doesnt make sense, as my German VPS doesn't charge VAT and so doesnt the host house.

@Asim:
    final question, should i get the 512mb or 256mb from the host house, which do you have? and can you check ram usage there and what is running? (as example)

• @djvdorp The question is, are they in stock? Last time I checked they were not.

Contact Jonathan (THH) and check if he can give you a better deal not listed on THH for 512, if yes, then go for it. If Jonathan cannot give you discounts beyond what is advertised then you should start off with min plan and then move up as your needs grow.

I had a 256MB KVM and I have a 128MB XEN HVM. Here are its stats

root@ns2 [~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           122         83         39          0          1         48
    -/+ buffers/cache:         32         89
    Swap:          255         42        213

Running cPanel DNS-only, MySQL (required by cPanel DNS_only for cPHulk module), NRPE (for nagios monitoring), EXIM (for emails)

Classic IO test

root@ns2 [~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 12.2672 seconds, 87.5 MB/s

Classic Network test

2011-12-01 00:39:38 (10.2 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

Hope that answers your question. Please note, the above one is a production server running cPanel DNS-only on a 128MB XEN-HVM. KVM nodes are as powerful as XEN-HVM (sometimes outperform XEN-HVM)

• @djvdorp get a VAT number and hosts will not charge you with VAT.

• @rds100 said: @djvdorp get a VAT number and hosts will not charge you with VAT.

Problem is, I am not running a company so I cant get a VAT number here.

@Asim said: Hope that answers your question. Please note, the above one is a production server running cPanel DNS-only on a 128MB XEN-HVM. KVM nodes are as powerful as XEN-HVM (sometimes outperform XEN-HVM)

It did, thanks so much @Asim! I got myself the last KVM 256mb from THH.

• @djvdorp AFAIK individuals can have a VAT number too, without running a company.

• @rds100 : it depends of countries I guess, anyway if you don't pay VAT in another country because you have a VAT number, then you have to declare what you bought & pay VAT (if due) in your country...

• @bobinfo and if you buy something from US (and hence don't pay VAT), AFAIK you still have to pay the VAT in your own country, only noone does this in reality :)

• @djvdorp said: It did, thanks so much @Asim! I got myself the last KVM 256mb from THH.

You are most welcome :)