Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BudgetVM, review anyone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BudgetVM, review anyone?

WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
edited November 2012 in General

So, AFAIC definitive reviews are scarce on both Google and LET.

Can anyone share his/her experience on this provider, please?
"From what I heard"-like comments are also welcomed. :)

FTR I'm interested on their service because they provide 2xIPv4 Address/VPS.
I'd also love to hear some similar alternatives.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised I should have posted this on "Providers" category. I can't figure how to move my thread, though.
EDIT2: Benchmarks are also appreciated

Comments

• Have you checked on Webhostingtalk, im sure there have been a few recently.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2012

Thanks for the advice @GetKVM_Ash. :)

So I just did a search on WHT. Nothing conclusive, All I can gather is BudgetVM tends to be hit or miss: If you're lucky get a few glitches, other than the glitches, they are decent.
    The supports are said to be fine as long as we have patience. (I'm okay with that).

Would still appreciate more input from LET members.

• Well all I know is they're not active on LowEndTalk (or not even on here) but I've never personally tried their services. So no comment there.

• I've got a 4GB OpenVZ VPS with them; can't fault it really. Not had any downtime and support were fairly fast and useful. Network is very good, getting around 79.0MB/s on cachefly.

But as you've said, it seems to be very hit and miss. (I'm in the Chicago location).

• @WhizzWr said: hit or miss:

So that's what you should expect, hit or miss :)

Is today your lucky day? :p

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited November 2012

Here's a thread im subscribed too.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1063007

• i was very tempted with their LA offer until i traceroute and ping them.about 5 to 10%PACKET loss.traceroute were 30ms higher for normal LA so i guess the bad reviews were true.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2012

Thanks all of you for chiming in.

@zhuanyi said: So that's what you should expect, hit or miss :)

Is today your lucky day? :p

Not really, I said I'm okay with the support team that will definitely help if I got some patience. Read.

That Nick-guy appears to be active in WHT. Good.
    Btw If I may ask, why did you subscribe to that thread? do you own any service from them?

@cosmicgate said: i was very tempted with their LA offer until i traceroute and ping them.about 5 to 10%PACKET loss.traceroute were 30ms higher for normal LA so i guess the bad reviews were true.

I also wanted to order their LA VPS, Good thing I ask about them on LET first :P

• @WhizzWr said: That Nick-guy appears to be active in WHT. Good.

Btw If I may ask, why did you subscribe to that thread? do you own any service from them?

Nope, i just commented i believe and thus i get automatically subscribed. Let me make it clear i have zero personal experience with their service.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited November 2012

I did not care for my BudgetVM experience, they did not deliver what was promised, or even close to it and then had to wrangle my way into a refund despite their 30 day money back policy. In the week I had it, I had over 1 day of downtime. I would stay far away, there are other hosts close to their price point with actually decent support/networks.

One of my friends actually was using them until a couple days ago, his VM was down for 2 days+ and couldn't get a reply from support so I showed him the way to RamNode where Nick_A took good care of him, says he is very happy with his new VPS and it's performance is much improved over BudgetVM/Enzu.

My WHT thread for reference - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1198165 <-- Note in my 6 years on WHT, that is the first bad review I've made.

• My experience with BudgetVM has been positive overall. I'm not sure I'd put anything really critical on it, though.

I had a 256MB Xen VPS at their Los Angeles location for about a year that I used for VPN and testing, and I was pretty happy with it.

I recently switched it for a 256MB OpenVZ VPS (Los Angeles) to get more bandwidth, since I use it mostly for a VPN.

I'm not using it as a web server, though, so my point of view and expectations may be different from some others. For a web server I prefer at least 512MB Xen or KVM.

I've contacted support on a few occasions, and response time has been decent, and they've been helpful. I think the longest I had to wait was when I put a ticket in on a Friday and got a reply on Monday.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2012

Thanks,

I forget something, benchmark. Would love to see some benchmark. :)
    @jkr1711 tnx for quoting the network speed.
    Thanks

• I started experiencing more and more down time when I was with them, got down to 97% uptime over 60 days if IIRC. When it was up, arguable it was one of best VPSs I had, I never put anything production on it because of the intermittent down time, I was using the Chicago location , Xen.

• @WhizzWr said: Thanks,

I forget something, benchmark. Would love to see some benchmark. :)
    @jkr1711 tnx for quoting the network speed.
    Thanks

Check serverbear.

http://serverbear.com/9800/budgetvm

• WebHostingTalk displays BudgetVM's disappointing side recently;
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1203358&highlight=budgetvm
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1199521&highlight=budgetvm

Search and you will probably find more

• Great servers, cheap prices, although their support sucks.
    They outsource to India where nobody can understand simple things like "the node is offline. Please turn it on."

The guy that runs it also runs virpus.. So keep that in mind..

• @Cirium said: The guy that runs it also runs virpus.. So keep that in mind..

Oh? Can I get a link to support this??

• @Cirium said: The guy that runs it also runs virpus.. So keep that in mind..

Where did you get this from?

The only other site I think they own related to hosting is there main company, Enzu Inc.
    https://www.enzu.com

• virpus? really? I didn't know this. Can you provide source?

They're not that bad. I've had services on and off with them for almost a year. Their network is ok, their hardware is fine. disk speeds indicate they're not really overselling that much, or at least there isn't heavy abusers.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2012

@fly said: virpus? really? I didn't know this. Can you provide source?

LOL Virpus, I'm also their former customer.
    Virpus IMO is a hit and miss. Ok service, fine if you're running nothing mission-criticial on your VPS. Uptimes are ike 98-ish% most of the time.
    I'm moving out from them partly because of the old VZ kernel they use, along with their old HWs, that I think they won't upgrade anytime sooner.
    The support team is very responsive though, ticket are answered within minutes.
    Small request such as TUN/TAP or rDNS changes are resolved quickly. Got a problem with your node? expect longer waiting time before the billing department answering (Virpus definitely outsource their support).

Nick Rose, the one is currently running BudgetVM apparently also co-found Virpus
    (source). Never heard anything about this guy running both, though.

Now that I think about it, Virpus packages are looking suspiciously similar with that of BudgetVM, except for the price. Same RAM, Same HDD, Same 2xIPv4, Same BW

Hmm.. considering their similarity would it be safe to expect same level of service? :P

Now back to topic
    I have been seeing BudgetVM benchmark scores from ServerBear, they look decent.
    Major issue from various reviews I read (including above) seems to be pointed toward downtime.

They have 30 days money back guarantee, should I bite the bullet?

FTR I'm considering @Stylexnetwork 50% offers, though. Wish they don't charge one extra IP.

• I tried them out for a month, getting the $4.99 1GB/2GB plan. It ran great. I used it for testing some TF2 server things, which ran very smooth on it. The network performance was also great - usually 500-800mbit/s on speed tests, and low pings from there to the UK here. I can't remember which of the 3 american locations I bought at though.

I'm considering going back with them simply cause they offer so much storage.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@nunim said: One of my friends actually was using them until a couple days ago, his VM was down for 2 days+ and couldn't get a reply from support so I showed him the way to RamNode where Nick_A took good care of him, says he is very happy with his new VPS and it's performance is much improved over BudgetVM/Enzu.

:D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have a BudgetVM for my US presence needs.
    It features a lot of IPv4 (3) and some IPv6 too. Int he beginning when they put up the offer was really good for some days then went down the drain with 2-3 reboots a day and it got improved to a few a week. Network fell off the cliff and they scheduled maintenance and fixed it.
    Right now it does the job for the money, not rock solid, but not that bad.

top - 18:21:18 up 16 days, 2:21, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00
    Tasks: 53 total, 1 running, 52 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 1048576k total, 332068k used, 716508k free, 0k buffers
    Swap: 1048576k total, 60k used, 1048516k free, 23208k cached

I was tempted to claim the money back for the first 30 days, but I was patient and now I am not unhappy with it.
    Dont have time to do the benchmarks now, last time I did were average. If someone is interested, pm me with the benchmarks you would like to do and I will comply in a day or two+post here again as the last ones were from another era. BudgetVM that I have in chicago is different than the BudgetVM I bough a few months ago. Many things changed to the better.

M

• So I bit the bullet and signed-up with the 1GB openVZ plan.
    Instant setup and my VPS is running ServerBear Benchmark right now. I'l post it when the results are out.

I already experienced some issue, though. The host node time is off by ca 30 secs and Amazon s3 is throwing timetooskewed error. :( Opened a support ticket just now.
    Let see how long will they resolve this issue.

• sometime back i was also searching for any feedback of BudgetVM..
    hmm.. if @Maounique have it then i can also think about it :)

• premisopremiso Member
    edited November 2012

@WhizzWr I have had them since July, because CVPS (who I used to use for CrashPlan) started to get horrible network issues / IO issues and was slower than snot.

BudgetVM is basically just a place for me to run my CrashPlan backup since it is Java it kinda needs the 1GB / 2GB. And so far it has been great no downtime. But this is more of a "set it and forget" setup as I get notified if my backup hasn't been done in 24 hours. I check my backups monthly and all seems well.

So yea, I cannot speak on a high usage / monitoring, but for something like a backup system it is working great for me.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Pats said: if @Maounique have it then i can also think about it :)

Lol ! I am not using it for anything critical, more like testing and IPs for US.
    It is an average box, with good BW and many IPs, this is how I think of it. Lately has been more stable than I expected after the shaky start, so I might consider using it for something more.
    M

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2012

Tnx for sharing @premiso :)

So here we go, SB Benchmark

**ServerBear Benchmark**
    UnixBench score: 1912.6
    I/O rate: 583.0 MB/second
    Bandwidth rate: 74.1 MB/second

**Networks**
    Location    Rate
    Cachefly    74.1 MB/s
    Linode, Atlanta, GA, USA    8.44 MB/s
    Linode, Dallas, TX, USA 12.3 MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP   2.69 MB/s
    Linode, London, UK  3.44 MB/s
    OVH, Paris, France  673 KB/s
    SmartDC, Rotterdam, Netherlands 4.03 MB/s
    Hetzner, Nuremberg, Germany 5.66 MB/s
    iiNet, Perth, WA, Australia 4.47 MB/s
    Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL, USA  501 KB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore    4.18 MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA, USA 8.47 MB/s
    Softlayer, San Jose, CA, USA    23.0 MB/s
    Softlayer, Washington, DC, USA  29.5 MB/s

The support ticket regarding time adjustment was resolved & answered in about 1.5 hour (it's about 10 AM at their WHMCS time) I've seen a lot providers responding faster than that, but IMO still acceptable.