Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many hosting providers are there? Anyone got statistics?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many hosting providers are there? Anyone got statistics?

tejli007tejli007 Member
edited October 2012 in Providers

Hi,

I am interested to just figure out how many hosting provides do exists today?
Can anyone have statistics or where from such stats can be checked?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Thousands. Hundreds of thousands

• jhjh Member

Cool signature. It's all I saw when I read your thread :)

• I would guess around 50

• wdqwdq Member

Probably only 50 really good hosts, but there are hundreds of thousands of bad hosts.

• TazTaz Member
    edited October 2012

Total number of stars*total number wht members and you can get a rough estimate.

• @tejli007 said: I am interested to just figure out how many hosting provides do exists today?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=How+many+hosting+providers+are+there

It's a cool service called Google. You don't have to sign up for it, and anyone can see the results. I recommend looking into it; it'll help you in your quest for information, and potentially other issues.

• @Jack said: anyway to disable this guys sig?

I just noticed that his profile's Role is now Disabled: http://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/6420/tejli007

So I guess we won't have to worry about it anymore.

• The obvious answer to his question is, of course, too many.

Thanked by 3jh LES Infinity
  • How many hosting companies are there....?

Well start with a rough idea of how many public datacenters there are. Long forget the site(s) with a directory of those.

Multiply each datacenter by 250 resellers I'd say (some places are absolute magnets for resellers - FDCServers, Burst.net, etc.)

My guess there are all told (colo, dedicated servers, VPS, old fashion hosting and other associated services (email, backups, etc.) ) in excess of 50k companies. Lots of them aren't really successful, active, etc. Total could be higher since so many services are moving to the web and should be factored in. Wouldn't be surprised if someone estimated 250k though.

• @jhadley said: Cool signature. It's all I saw when I read your thread :)

What did you see? O_o

• How may hosts?

Somewhere between a metric shit-ton and a cubic-assload. Give or take a smidgen.

http://webhosting.info has some, well, webhosting info. :)

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • more and more good providers invading the market,

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

LOOK AT MAH SIG

• @Nick_A, pretty interesting pricing when you put a discount on top of the plans :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Well this thread was a success.

• About 53,300,000 results (0.29 seconds) :))

@Damian said: It's a cool service called Google. You don't have to sign up for it, and anyone can see the results. I recommend looking into it; it'll help you in your quest for information, and potentially other issues.

• Why are people even responding to this? This guy just wants to spam his crappy forum which Dewlance is onboard with.

• @Damian LMGTFY is better for these cases. :)

• At one time, years ago... there was a Industry Trade Magazine called "Broadwatch", published and edited by Jack Rickard. It used to contain an accurate count of the number of ISP's and later WISPs. Back in those days the numbers made it to around 7,999 or so. That is until the dot com boom and eventually competition from cable, ILEC, CLEC and RBOCs came into the fray. That number today is in the hundreds now.

While there are probably an infinite number of "web hosting providers" out there, the bulk are resellers and or start ups. The reality is they likely number in the "hundreds" as well. There are a handful of major players and a larger handful of those of us that have been there almost from the beginning.

In the end, I think I would be very surprised if that number were above 1000 if you took into account market share amongst those providers as a percentage.

• Is Broadwatch now a nudie site?

ISP + WISP + Datacenters + colo build outs + dedicated servers + share hosting + VPS + who knows what else = enormous pile of providers well beyond 8k from back in oh, 1997 :)