Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ or KVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ or KVM?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited October 2012 in Help

So considering the server that I have won, which virtulization would you think would be better for me to start with? KVM or OpenVZ? I was originally planning for Xen PV but it seems most of the answers that I have heard so far are against Xen PV.

Already had some feedback from a few senior members, but just figured I should hear a bit more pros and cons in public.

Thanks people!

Comments

• jhjh Member

Maybe you could tell us more about what direction you want to take with your new business?

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @jhadley said: more about what direction you want to take with your new business

Well, I won't compete for the cheapest VPS providers out there and the services will be largely unmanaged, price point will obviously be set in accordance to the platform used...is there anything else you'd like to know?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Hi,

If you want an easy to manage solution, I'd suggest openVZ - and once you get things rolling, then maybe get into KVM.

regards,
    R. Alkhaili

Thanked by 2zhuanyi seraphkz
  • I would suggest openVZ to start. I am not sold on the KVM deal.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I am not aware of any existing KVM providers currently hosting at ColoCrossing - so that may be worth a try, if you want to offer something unique :)

Thanked by 2zhuanyi Amfy
  • Proxmox VE gives you best of both worlds.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @24khost said: I am not sold on the KVM deal.

What issues do you have with it, or is it all mental still?

@zhuanyi to achieve sustainability as fast as possible, which might not be a bad thing as you are on a limited timeframe, OpenVZ might be the answer.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2012

@joepie91 said: I am not aware of any existing KVM providers currently hosting at ColoCrossing

BuyVM? They're are in Buffalo, is @zhuanyi planning Chicago?

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • So for openVZ on proxmox does it install the openvz container in a kvm?

• @miTgiB said: is @zhuanyi planning Chicago?

I think that is the location I am given.

• @Raymii said: Proxmox VE

I do not think the product is that stable yet...

• I agree that for your initial services, you should go with OpenVZ. Expect that some people will complain about it, but it is what it is.

Offer KVM once you're up and going and making a profit. Don't bother with Xen, there's really no point anymore.

• @zhuanyi personally I prefer buying KVM (or Xen) and I expect to pay more. I don't know your technical skills and normally I'd say "go with what you know best" to get started with. But if you're looking to have someone else admin the node then I'd suggest going for KVM in Chicago as its less common. If you are the admin and you've never managed either, I'd say OpenVZ with a KVM chaser further down the line :).

• After using both openVZ and KVM I would not go back to openVZ. KVM is more isolated and the resources are guaranteed.

• I would recommend KVM - you can sell windows VPS in addition to your linux VPS then :)

• @hostdog said: resources are guaranteed.

lol?

• @Zen My question refers to the fact that proxmox can install both openvz and kvm, and from the way it read on the website on the same system. So i was asking if it installed the openvz container in a kvm like others have talked about doing here for backup purposes.

• ChiefChief Member
    edited October 2012

@24khost said: So i was asking if it installed the openvz container in a kvm like others have talked about doing here for backup purposes.

No, it creates both on the same host node. Allowing over-commitment of OpenVZ, and taking away KVM resources as allocated.

Thanked by 2Zen zhuanyi
  • @Chief thanks. Okay, I was wondering. As I know that thrustvps used to have a reseller program that, the way I understand it used to install a Xen vps with openvz installed in it so that you could offer vps to your clients. Was wondering if it was the same idea.

• ChiefChief Member
    edited October 2012

@Zen said: No it does not, not sure how it would do that either from a back-end point of view.

Easy enough....

Install proxmox on the host node, create a KVM and install proxmox inside the KVM. Then cluster the two proxmox installs together ;) Then you could live migrate for example your OpenVZ's from the host node to inside the KVM :D

Other option for doing both virtualisations on the single node...

Install Solus/KVM on the host node, create a 8GB KVM.
    Install Solus/OpenVZ inside the KVM.

Solus sees these as 2 separate nodes, you can now oversell the OpenVZ platform inside KVM, and you can sell standard KVM with allocated resources. It will require 2 licenses but there's a way without proxmox.

Clear as mud?

Thanked by 3netomx zhuanyi luxor
  • So theoretically possible, highly undersireable.

• @24khost said: So theoretically possible, highly undersireable.

Which option is undesirable, and could you explain why...

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • the openvz inside kvm

• ChiefChief Member
    edited October 2012

@24khost said: the openvz inside kvm

Fair enough, but why would it be undesirable?
    You stated it was undesirable, I would like to know the reasons. Curious that's all.

• KVM virtualization as you can run a lot more OSes. Like own dedicated server.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • virtulization inside virtulization. Sounds like more trouble then it's worth.

• @qhoster said: KVM virtualization as you can run a lot more OSes.

If you mean windows, i would advise @zhuanyi to stay away from that sh*t. Sure, there is some market opportunity there, but the profit to trouble ratio is probably not very good.

• which @24khost implied

@Zen I was wondering if the origional node provisioning, was set with a large KVM that was installed with and openvz container in it.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @Chief What @Jack said would make it undesirable.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • I'd pick openvz to start with then offer kvm on the next server.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi