Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple Services Available to Port 80
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Multiple Services Available to Port 80

nimdynimdy Member
edited October 2012 in General

Hi guys. Sorry if this is a stupid question. Is it possible to have multiple services on a vps on different ports, but make them all available over the net on port 80?

My reason for this question is that my firewall at work blocks EVERYTHING except ports 80 and 443. I make sure that my vps' have ssh on port 443 so I can manage them from work if required. This only leaves me port 80 usable from work. If I have for example a torrent webui, a website, and anything else that I need to run from the box, is it possible that port 80 can be put in front of them all?

My thinking was something like:

Subdomain.domain.tld = nginx port 80
Subdomain.domain.tld/dev = apache port 81
Subdomain.domain.tld/bt = transmission port 3845

Would this be possible?

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Nope (OK, for websites yes by using proxy on VPS)

• The easy (and costly) way is to get extra IP addresses

• Setup a reverse proxy?

• Set up a VPN on port 443, connect to that, free access to the whole internet and every port afterwards.

Thanked by 2netomx Garrett
  • As Winterreise already proposed setup vpn on port 443.
    Other option is just stick with the setup you have (ssh on port 443) and use ssh to forward port you are interested in:

ssh -L 3845:ip.of.your.vps:3845 -p 443 ip.of.your.vps

Afterwards you can access the service on

localhost:3845

as long as you keep the ssh session running

• If you can already connect to your VPS via SSH on port 443 why don't you use the SSH connection as a socks proxy?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited October 2012

@nimdy said: my firewall at work blocks EVERYTHING except ports 80 and 443

If your work-network restrictions are stopping you doing your job, complain to the network admin.

If your work-network restrictions are stopping you doing other things while at work, just stop it. Respect your work network. Play at home, keep your job.

Thanked by 1Roph
  • @Wintereise said: Set up a VPN on port 443, connect to that, free access to the whole internet and every port afterwards.

i searched a bit, cant find a tutorial, can you provide a link to a tutorial ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

http://board.prometeus.net/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=a474bb83dc155b97b0395162d3c410b5
    I put tutorials there for multiple types of VPNs.
    Since you already have SSH on port 443, use the ssh proxy. It might be a bit tricky with routing, however, I would do some other trick: get a vpn only ultracheap leb at about 1 dollar a month and connect to that with a VPN to access your VPS from outside and test it how visitors will see it. Using VPN into the box itself is not the same.
    M

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • in fact it is where i learned how to install pptp vpn :) thanks for comment, i got the clue "ssh proxy", googling and digging...

thanks..