Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndBox KickStarter Competition - Win an E3-1240v2 Server! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndBox KickStarter Competition - Win an E3-1240v2 Server!

Comments

• @djvdorp @Randy @jcaleb I am not sure if I would be able to give free VPS, but I do respect loyalty and I have to say I have learnt pretty much everything about virtual servers through LET/LEB, to me, LET is a place I check everyday (multiple times daily in fact, almost whenever I have time) and it is more like my online family. I definitely have some ideas in mind, and yes, I will let everyone know once I have something more concrete.

Thanked by 2djvdorp jcaleb
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@zhuanyi Congrats! I think you'll do great!

Thanked by 2zhuanyi Randy
  • @zhuanyi Congratulation buddy. can't wait for your LEB surprise. :D

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @zhuanyi Congrats, best of luck with the new server ;o

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @jack I don't think he's pregnant ;p

Thanked by 2zhuanyi klikli
  • @zhuanyi Congrats! I'm sure you'll do a good job

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Congratz bro, wish you all the best with your ventures. :)

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • I'm excited to see what you'll be offering. Congrats!

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • BorninAsiaVPS

• @NickO said: You want more deadpools?

I would exchange the server with HostBluff if I want to be in deadpool soon I guess :)

@Randy said: BorninAsiaVPS

Good idea, but nope :)

@Jack said: I don't think he's pregnant ;p

Nope, I ain't Arnold :)

And yes I have got a name.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Congrats @Zhuanyi !!

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @NickO said: @Randy @jcaleb
    You want more deadpools?

I just said good deals, not free. Good deal but within reason.

• @jcaleb said: good deals, not free. Good deal but within reason.

I'll see what I can do :)

@zhuanyi said: I'll see what I can do :)

I assume you've been granted some advice from Francisco & Tim, they won't steer you wrong ;)

• @jarland said: I assume you've been granted some advice from Francisco & Tim, they won't steer you wrong ;)

Yes, learning from the masters will never go wrong!

I am actually opening to everyone's advice, if any of you have anything to share about choices of platform, or any technical stuff like that, or just how to run this business in general without getting myself into deadpool, feel free to let me know, you can either post it here or if you prefer not to share it in public, PM me, any advice is appreciated!

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited October 2012

@zhuanyi Which virtualization technology will you be deploying: KVM, OpenVZ or Xen?

As a side note, you can run XenPV and OpenVZ inside KVM virtual machines :)

@zhuanyi said: if any of you have anything to share

Time and time again I see new providers pop up and forget one thing...PayPal fees. It won't just cut into your profits. If you don't figure it and you aim to be competitive on pricing, it can set you up to lose money. On my small plans I make about $1 profit each month. Make sure you take the time to set the prices to be competitive, fair, attractive, but also at the right amount to work toward profitability. Clients don't win if you go out of business ;)

Thanked by 3marcm zhuanyi Randy
  • @marcm said: Which virtualization technology will you be deploying: KVM, OpenVZ or Xen?

That is something I am deciding on, is there anything you could suggest?

And what would be the advantage of running Xen/OVZ in KVM?

Thanks!

• @jarland said: On my small plans I make about $1 profit each month. Make sure you take the time to set the prices to be competitive, fair, attractive, but also at the right amount to work toward profitability. Clients don't win if you go out of business ;)

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and openly share your business secrets :) Although this business will be more like an opportunity for me to give back to the community, I won't be the cheapest provider out there charging a ridiculously low price and then deadpooled in 2 months time (heck I still want to be able to post here and not having each and every one of my post being laughed at). I do not think I will be the cheapest, but I will definitely think about how I can make a difference.

@zhuanyi said: openly share your business secrets

I value honesty, and always happy to share anything that doesn't violate client privacy. I'm certainly no @Francisco or @miTgiB, but feel free to use me as a resource.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited October 2012

@zhuanyi When you do nested virtualization it eats into CPU cycles, RAM, so it's more for fun than anything, considering how performance conscious everyone is these days.

Honestly I am biased towards KVM and you got the right hardware to deploy it. I do not have any experience with Proxmox, but I've seen that you are also getting a WHMCS Proxmox module. @Chief and others here have plenty of experience with it, and I'm sure they can give you good advice. I have KVM experience with SolusVM. If you decide to go with KVM, from my own testing I can tell you this:
    Set the node scheduler to "deadline" - you do this in grub.cfg or menu.lst in the kernel configuration line - add "elevator=deadline" to the that line. Instruct your customers to use "elevator=noop" for their VPS servers or even deadline, it will work just fine. The CFQ scheduler tends to work poorly with KVM. I don't know what kind of RAID-10 controller you have, but use the write back cache only if it's battery backed. For your KVM guests set caching to none. I know that it's tempting to use as much caching as possible, but don't, and you will get really good I/O performance. On a single QuadCore CPU I wouldn't assign all CPU cores to any single plan, only maybe if you sell 4GB plans or higher. If you assign a maximum of two cores on a Xeon E3 is plenty for KVM. That way if you get customers that do Bit Coin mining or other CPU intensive tasks, they won't disturb everyone else. Again, I am talking from my own experience with KVM + SolusVM. Libvirt has many settings for the CPU in KVM that Solus Labs has failed to implement.

If you go with XenPV then you will have to give about 768MB of RAM to dom0, and the Xen hypervisor will eat another 400MB to 700MB from the remaining RAM. CentOS 5 is to old for new hardware in my opinion and CentOS 6 has no Xen support so you will have to maintain your own setup. I don't really recommend that if you're just starting out. I was heavily biased towards Xen, but I like KVM more and more every day, so now I am more biased towards KVM.

OpenVZ has basically no overhead for virtualization, but allot of folks are already offering it. I haven't touched OpenVZ in over 6 months, so probably any advice I would give you in regards to it is outdated.

If you decide to go the KVM + SolusVM route or XenPV + SolusVM route then please contact me and I will share any information that I have. If you decide to go the Proxmox route or with OpenVZ then I am sure that there are many others here who have experience with those as well.

Thanked by 2zhuanyi cosmicgate
  • Meh if you ever need help just send me a PM. :-P

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • Congratulations @zhuanyi :)

The ladies are already wet for the upcoming CEO.

Thanked by 2Randy zhuanyi
  • Congratulations @zhuanyi. :D

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • Is it possible you share your submission?

• @jcaleb said: Is it possible you share your submission?

I think as the services rolls out all my plans would be there :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Congratz @zhuanyi :) ^^

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • A bit late to the party now, but: Congrats @zhuanyi! Looking forward to purchasing your services whenever they're for sale!

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • Same ere :D I'll scrape some dough off the sidewalk to purchase a plan from a new provider! Looks promising :)

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • Did you decide on a name for the new business?