Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving CentOS 6 another go. Help us test it with a FREE VPS!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Giving CentOS 6 another go. Help us test it with a FREE VPS!

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited October 2012 in Offers

I built a new OpenVZ node last night and decided to use CentOS 6 instead of our normal CentOS 5 build because I've read a lot of good things about how far it's come since we tried using it last year and because I had some good experiences with it on another provider here where CentOS 5.8 wasn't working for this specific application.

So here we are with 30 free 128MB VPSs for people to play around with. Just use the link below to order and I'll manually approve the orders as they come in. Since these are free and for testing, there will not be instant setup like our other plans. If you have any feedback then please post it here or PM me. Additionally, if you wish to also test out one of our new DDOS Protected IPs please PM me if you have a website you wish to protect and I will work with you to get that setup with your test VPS. Thanks!

Direct order link

Comments

• Yay, just ordered one. How long do we get to keep these?

• Aaaand we're up!

root@vps:~# wget http://akamaras.com/bench.sh
    --2012-10-22 01:11:55-- http://akamaras.com/bench.sh
    Resolving akamaras.com... 95.154.246.36
    Connecting to akamaras.com|95.154.246.36|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 901 [text/x-sh]
    Saving to: `bench.sh'

100%[======================================>] 901 --.-K/s in 0s

2012-10-22 01:11:55 (102 MB/s) - `bench.sh' saved [901/901]

root@vps:~# bash bench.sh
    CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @ 2.33GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2327.652 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 128 MB
    Total amount of swap : 128 MB
    System uptime : 2 min,
    Download speed : (11.6MB/s)
    I/O speed : 88.8MB/s

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@lele0108 said: Yay, just ordered one. How long do we get to keep these?

No ETA. We want to run them long enough to get an idea of how the node performs compared to our CentOS 5 nodes. If we start seeing a lot of issues then it won't last long but if it runs stable for a week we'll see how it goes.

Ideally I would like to migrate one of our current nodes to this CentOS 6 node, then rebuild that node with CentOS 6, migrate another node, and so on until we only have CentOS 6 nodes. Then again, things never go as planned it seems so we shall see. :)

• Not that bad!

--- . (simfs /vz/private/1042) ioping statistics ---
    6 requests completed in 5756.3 ms, 7692 iops, 30.0 mb/s

2012-10-22 01:14:38 (11.5 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

@Mount said: I/O speed : 88.8MB/s

LoL, I bet all 15 people who I just activated are running DD tests. :X

@Amfy said: Not that bad!

Thanks. We are using the faster SAS drives we were using in our old Xen PV nodes so hopefully it will have a nice increase with CentOS 6 since the 2.6.32 kernel tends to perform better in the past tests I've ran.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • Gotta love the LEB spirit, bench first, use later :D

Thanked by 2Amfy klikli

@Mount said: Gotta love the LEB spirit, bench first, use later :D

That's why I post these offers here, I know that users here know how to really test a VPS. :)

• @KuJoe said: No ETA. We want to run them long enough to get an idea of how the node performs compared to our CentOS 5 nodes. If we start seeing a lot of issues then it won't last long but if it runs stable for a week we'll see how it goes.

That's cool. Can we just ask that we get some notice before a shut down? I don't do bench testing. I do real world testing, if the server does what I want it to do, that's good enough for me. However, because it's real world testing, it would be nice to have some notice before downtime. ;o)

Keep up the good work.

@xmob said: However, because it's real world testing, it would be nice to have some notice before downtime.

I've setup the service to auto-terminate after 14 days. I will notify everybody if anything changes but realistically, if we decided to stick with CentOS 6 we should know in about a week and there's nothing preventing us from moving clients over while test VPSs are still active. The only foreseeable problem is if our current OpenVZ nodes fill up between now and then.

Thanked by 1mojeda
  • Saw this on my Blackberry, decided to sign up for one, typed my password incorrectly for 6 times but now I have got a VPS! Thanks @KuJoe!

edited October 2012

No problem! I didn't expect these to go this fast. I added 10 more stock. :X

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Got myne as well, forgot to post.

However I will wait for the others to calm down and do my tests tommorow :)

• tmn29atmn29a Member
    edited October 2012

Thanks for this offer, will also do some more test tomorrow and play with it a lil bit
    Plus this fits great, since I wanted to check you guys out anyway ;)

• Nice. I have registered one~

Waiting for active~

I will get to the pending orders tonight, not sure what time I will be back online. Sorry for the wait. :(

• Try to order one, but MaxMind mark my order as fraud.

• I'd be interested to hear how your testing goes. We did the same thing last year when we built our nodes because CentOS 6.x was still having stability issues on SandyBridge hardware so we stuck with 5.x.

• Oops, there's a problem...
    Out of Stock

All of the orders that passed the fraud check have been activated. I'm surprised only 1 person was interested in the DDOS protected IPs. :(

@thekreek said: Try to order one, but MaxMind mark my order as fraud.

Only 4 orders were marked as fraud and those were due to ordering from a proxy/VPN or address and IP location mismatch.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Got one, no problems here so far.

• @KuJoe - How much do you plan on selling DDoS protected IPs for?

@black said: How much do you plan on selling DDoS protected IPs for?

The main plan for the IPs is for our cPanel servers. We're testing them out on VPSs to see how they do though. No idea of the price point at this time.

• out of stock now ?

• @nikc said: out of stock now ?

Looks that way =[

@nikc said: out of stock now ?

Yup, free VPSs don't last long around here. ;)

• pcanpcan Member
    edited October 2012

I noticed that Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit template is missing; so I performed the do-release-upgrade from the 10.04 standard template to 12.04. Network was unavailable after the upgrade, I needed to power cycle the VPS after the first post-upgrade reboot, and then reboot it again a second time. After the second reboot everything is working. I tried the upgrade 3 times and this behaviour is repeatable. Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 fails.
    The default initial Debian 6 optimized template works well and it seems to be the best for this 128Mb VPS.

I will revisit the Ubuntu 12 templates to see if the bug we disabled then for is fixed.

• Oh God, I'm late..

@pcan said: I noticed that Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit template is missing

I've downloaded the latest 12.04 templates and added them to SolusVM. I'm going to test the templates on a 5.8 and 6.3 node.