Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Dedicated Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Dedicated Servers

definedcodedefinedcode Member
edited October 2012 in General

Hello,

I'm in the market for a dedicated server. Currently I have a Kimsufi 2G but the I/O speeds are terrible.

Now what I want is 2GB ram, an SSD, 100mbit (or preferably 1GBIT) connection, and roughly 1-5TB bandwidth.

Now if any providers could do a deal with a price comparable to the Kimsufi 2G then I'd be interested (or maybe a slightly higher price).

I've deliberately left out the CPU because I'm unsure which you would be able to provide.

Regards,

Defined Code Ltd

Comments

• @definedcode said: Now if any providers could do a deal with a price comparable to the Kimsufi 2G then I'd be interested (or maybe a slightly higher price).

yea... no, not going to happen.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Define what slightly higher might mean... I think with double the price you can get an atom with a SSD.
    M

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Possible.. for 85-100$ :)

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2012

@definedcode said: Currently I have a Kimsufi 2G but the I/O speeds are terrible.

It's possible you have a dodgy disk. Mine seems 'ok':

[root@ks3002077 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.7567 seconds, 99.8 MB/s

@definedcode said: Now if any providers could do a deal with a price comparable to the Kimsufi 2G then I'd be interested (or maybe a slightly higher price).

Does it have to be dedicated? I might be able to do something on a KVM VPS if you don't need a lot of disk space.

• Best luck would be with Datashack, won't find anything good with SSD

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

34€ for
    Atom D525 dual core 1.8ghz
    4GB RAM
    1 x SSD 128G or 2x320GB SATA II
    100M switch port
    15TB bw
    1 IP
    IPMI 2.0 Interface

@prometeus said: 34€ for

Atom D525 dual core 1.8ghz
    4GB RAM
    1 x SSD 128G or 2x320GB SATA II
    100M switch port
    15TB bw
    1 IP
    IPMI 2.0 Interface

How many of those do you have available ? :D

• @prometeus 15TB? In/Out or just Out calculated?

@Alex_LiquidHost said: How many of those do you have available

10 or 12 free I think. (we use the supermicro twin), so chassis are double powered, individual ipmi 2.0 and 3 2.5" disk slots for each atom so up to 3 x 1TB disks can be used with reasonable cost.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/2UTwin3.cfm

@William said: 15TB? In/Out or just Out calculated?

at present both direction

• mmm, If i rent one, will you rack/used my own 3x1Tb HDDs when i send them down to you? Any cheaper then? :p

@William said: mmm, If i rent one, will you rack/used my own 3x1Tb HDDs when i send them down to you? Any cheaper then? :p

consider 29€ if you ship the disks :-)

• Excellent, will mail you tommorow :)
    They can use 11mm 2,5" HDDs right? (SSDs are 9mm, 11mm is SAS size)

@William said: They can use 11mm 2,5" HDDs right? (SSDs are 9mm, 11mm is SAS size)

I use regular 2.5" notebook class disks on those so yes, they should fit.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2012

@prometeus Is IPMI some kind of DRAC, so you can control remotely even at boot time, like into the BIOS etc

• @rchurch Yes it's exactly that, I'm not a fan of iDRAC though but it does the job

@rchurch said: Is IPMI mean some kind of DRAC, so you an control remotely even at boot time. line into the BIOS etc

yes, it use a dedicated ip address and let you remotely administer the server :-)

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited October 2012

@definedcode said: I'm in the market for a dedicated server. Currently I have a Kimsufi 2G but the I/O speeds are terrible.

My Kimsufi 2Gs is quite decent:

root@ash:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.76243 s, 186 MB/s

• http://www.digicube.fr/rapidserveurs/26

Good thing I know a little bit of french ;-)

• jhjh Member

@jkr1711 said: http://www.digicube.fr/rapidserveurs/26

Good thing I know a little bit of french ;-)

Are they an OVH reseller?

• jkr1711jkr1711 Member
    edited October 2012

@jhadley

"DigiCube has its own infrastructure in France where its installed EcoCubes , big boxes of 30m ³ each supplied via a UPS double conversion with high efficiency and powerful mechanical ventilation can completely renew the air in less than 10 seconds."

Sounds like they have a fair amount of stuff:

http://www.digicube.fr/index/centre_hebergement

Damn, no english on that site.

• @NateN34 said: 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.76243 s, 186 MB/s

Not bad at all, can you tell me which HDD model is this? hdparm -i /dev/sda

• @rds100 said: Not bad at all, can you tell me which HDD model is this? hdparm -i /dev/sda

Model=ST1000DM003

Basically this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840&name=Internal-Hard-Drives

Thanked by 1rds100
  • 30 GB SSD + 1GB RAM, wondering what people could use it for, I'd rather have a Kimsufi which is 1TB hard drive for 2 bucks extra, at least I can use it as a backup :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@zhuanyi said: 30 GB SSD + 1GB RAM, wondering what people could use it for,

Oh, lots of things. Hosting websites with databases (e.g. forums) is one. Coincidentally, I don't even use 10% of my OVH 1TB disk at the moment.

What would concern me with this offer however, what kind of "30GB SSD" do they mean? There are no good/modern/fast 30 GB SSDs on the market, all are 60/64/120/128. And if you get some ancient SSD, it could perform worse than a hard drive.

• flyfly Member

datashack?

• Datashack is good and has prices that good. Supply can be a problem there though and unsure how support response currently is (Wholesale Internet does the support and is the network).

Same extended network there is Joe's Datacenter. Good go to company with lower price point.

• Datashack is a good company, but if you can afford to pay slightly more than that, Limestone Networks(regardless of all the bashing that's taken place lately) provides great service.

• flyfly Member

support is really good at datashack.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Seconded on datashack support. It's wonderful.