Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain registry for .com's with privacy included
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain registry for .com's with privacy included

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited October 2012 in General

What are folks currently using for domain registration of .com domains? Interested in low cost registry services that include record privacy in the annual domain price.

Use 1and1 and internet.bs currently. Internet.bs doesn't accept PayPal anymore and their support is simply lousy. 1and1 we moved away from in past years due to lower pricing with internet.bs.

Comments

• Name.com / Namecheap

Thanked by 1pubcrawler
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2012

@StormVZ said: Name.com

Promo code: "privacyplease" to add free whois privacy (it can be used unlimited times)

• Now we are talking @Spirit!

Good recommendation @StormVZ!

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited October 2012

http://www.internetbs.net/ has free whois.

*darnit.. didn't read the post all the way

edit;
    Namecheap isn't free whois, but id never buy a domain from anyone else

• @David_P Namecheap has free WHOIS for a year?

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

Promo is over @StormVZ

• Internet.bs has really fallen off a cliff and isn't forthcoming about issues.

First we had a snafu over .eu domain and privacy. They allow you to privatize your registration, but the .eu domain regulation party disallows this and requires European address and such. Uggh. If we'd known any of that we'd never have donated to the .eu domain world.

Second, Internet.bs seems to have a going issue with PayPal hijacking their account.

Third, PayPal then was available via 2Checkout. But now it isn't.

Too many burnt bridges there.

Asking support there about issues gives non answers.

Thus the inquiry :)

• I could never understand the need for private whois. All my domains are with public and valid contact details in the whois.

• @pubcrawler said: They allow you to privatize your registration, but the .eu domain regulation party disallows this and requires European address and such.

How did you even managed to register .eu domain through Internet.bs without EU address?

@rds100 said: I could never understand the need for private whois. All my domains are with public and valid contact details in the whois.

If you want to keep your personal info private?

• How did you even managed to register .eu domain through Internet.bs without EU address? >

Just did through their system like with any other domain. Double checked with their support since some funkiness. What happened is although private registration, the non private info appeared in EU database for lookups.

Contacted Internet.bs and they had some justification/exemption for private individuals to shield info on .eu domains. Unsure if legit on their end or not.

I could never understand the need for private whois. >

Public whois is fine for brick and mortar businesses. Most small businesses are home-based operations ran virtually online. I don't need/want the info of where I lay my head to be in such public records.

Have some clients who publish things that might not be popular with some folks (think investigative journalism). Last thing they want is some nutcase stalking them at home either :)

• DomainMonster.com provide it for free.

• Dreamhost does it for free as well.

• Try NameSilo.com Their pricing is lower than that of Name/Namecheap and they offer free privacy. They have good reviews on Namepros.

Thanked by 2pubcrawler sandbox
  • Good recommendation chinmoy! New company for me.

• @chinmoy said: Try NameSilo.com Their pricing is lower than that of Name/Namecheap and they offer free privacy. They have good reviews on Namepros.

thanks for the info. i found there's coupon code for namesilo too. although it's limited.
    http://www.namesilo.com/Support/Coupons

• @sandbox said: Try NameSilo.com Their pricing is lower than that of Name/Namecheap and they offer free privacy. They have good reviews on Namepros.

Agreed, I am moving all my domains to NS these days, they have quite a few one time 1USD coupons floating around.

• @pubcrawler namecheap.com includes free privacy for the first year. Aside from a few instances where anonymity is a must (if you're a reviewer, provide a public forum, etc.), I don't see why anyone would need domain privacy.