Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get around latency? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to get around latency?

2»

Comments

• A good connection to Los Angeles like to Equinix would work really good.

It would not, and besides, almost all Australian ISPs will offload you to LA, rendering this more or less mundane.

• IPMI... hmm. GUI? Sure.

Push as much as you can to use lightweight non-GUI interfaces. Local GUI control is fine, but technologies like VNC forget about over international water and satellite links.

200ms latency is just half of the transaction. You need data back so a simple transaction from Asia to US West coast is more like 400ms round trip. Larger traffic due to rich interfaces are pushing tons of bits that get lost, delayed and out of order. Meaning, 600ms-1 second delays are quite typical.

I shop for international providers that have good routes from other existing servers we have. With some I tunnel from my location into a VPS (say US West Coast) and tunnel to remote server abroad (say Tokyo).

That works alright in some situations (text CLI). GUI pixel push though. Painful.

• Just want to point something out a tad stronger.

Latency doubling like I said is being kind. Often in real world (especially with clogged, QoS stomped, poor bandwidth) one way latency should be viewed as a 2-8x multiplier.

So if ping is showing 200ms, you are looking at 400ms to 1.6 second trip lag time real use times.

• zserozsero Member
    edited October 2012

S3 + CloudFront + static generator? (OK, only for static-capatible content):
    http://vvv.tobiassjosten.net/development/jekyll-blog-on-amazon-s3-and-cloudfront/

• Latency reduction when serving static content is simple and affordable today.

Simple is using a CDN for static files.

Cheap is rolling your own VPS collection out with geographic DNS. (Finding DNS provider with GeoDNS capability at low price is the biggest part of the solution).