Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for running OVZ inside KVM effectively
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tips for running OVZ inside KVM effectively

craigbcraigb Member
edited October 2012 in Help

So its come up a few times about running OVZ inside KVM.... @chief mentioned it previously a few times, most recently as an example way to 'bundle' your OS to make migrations between providers easier (in the context of those paying month to month).

The google summary seems to be: its doable and performance doesn't have to suck - but was hoping peeps that have experience doing this can share any tips.

In terms of efficient IO, is VT-D passthru possible thru all 3 layers?)

Assume a single IP for now (so port forwarding or similar network setup).

Thanks!

Comments

• We played with it, the outcome is nasty.

Maybe if you could use debian as the base OS with ext4 on the guest, it could pull some decent results. But then you need to find a panel that can run on debian.

Thanked by 2craigb YKM
  • @GetKVM_Ash thanks Ash but don't need a panel - its for private use...

• @GetKVM_Ash said: But then you need to find a panel that can run on debian.

I know @Chief uses Proxmox in his KVM and loves it.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • It works, not even so bad. No modifications needed except the NAT (can't comment on that, i always had enough IPs for it)

Thanked by 1craigb
  • OpenVZ inside KVM? why not trying nested KVM? :D

Thanked by 1craigb
  • Go for it with Debian then I'd say if your cool with just using vzctl at command line.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @Mon5t3r :) indeed...maybe I'll try that after to see just how hard the virt gods punish me ;p

• @craigb I would say that for best I/O performance you should make sure that VirtIO is enabled and set the Linux I/O scheduler to "noop". You can do that by editing grub.cfg or menu.lst (depending on your distro) and add to the "kernel" line "elevator=noop" - and of course reboot. You can also switch the scheduler on the fly but I would say that this is safer. By doing this I/O should pass trough all the layers down to the host node.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @marcm the IO scheduler tip looks very interesting - will try that out - thanks!

• It was just like someone saying VPS.net or DamnVPS or ThrustVPS which is running vps inside a vps :D

Thanked by 1craigb
  • Heh, thinking about that, timing attacks would reveal that...

• I just remember i still have OWP installed in one of my testbed KVM. seems good so far, it's idling anyway but still good. :P