Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switching from Linode - suggestions? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Switching from Linode - suggestions?

Comments

• Just wanted to chime in, if you're going to be running Solr on Tomcat, KVM may be more convenient for you, since under OVZ's accounting the JavaVM preallocates a ton of memory by default. Depending on how intensively you hit your Solr index, your usage patterns might look a bit like Minecraft and other memory-hungry Java applications, and there are some good providers here with experience in Minecraft hosting (like RamNode).

All the best in your search; you can't go wrong with any of the reputable hosts here!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited October 2012

@unriptr said: Thanks! Now that we cleared that up, what do you think of hostigation vs BuyVM vs catalysthost.

I suggest check the Q3 poll also, and select the one where you like location and offer.

You can also check serverbear to compare stuff

• @wdq, I'd suggest going with RamNode. They have a $7.50/month plan with 512MB of RAM, a 10GB SSD, and 1000GB of bandwidth.

+1 on that. And @Serverbear has a coupon for 31% of for life.

I've also had good experience with URPad.

Thanked by 2Nick_A Taylor
  • eastoncheastonch Member
    edited October 2012

I know this is a biased opinion being that I'm a techie of RamNode, but still; solid hardware on every node; Nick is the most dedicated person I've worked for/with. He's never idling around, always sat infront of the dedi's in the DC. :)

If there's anything custom you need setting up, feel free to PM me on here or pop open a sales ticket! :)

Edit: For a company that's been "in the shadows" as it were, we ranked 4th in the Q3 providers.

• Thanks all! This community is very passionate and wonderful; I really appreciate all the responses.

I ended up having a nice rib eye from Costco last night. I highly recommend Costco for everything, hah, not just meat!

An SSD would be really nice! Are they server grade SSDs at RamNode? What would you suggest for files, when I fill up the 10GB of SSD space? I don't have a terrible amount of images, but down the line I plan on adding youtube videos, and perhaps more images (I run a financial literacy website).

@seanho - thanks a lot for mentioning that! I'll definitely go with KVM!

Thanks!

• unriptrunriptr Member
    edited October 2012

What does SSD-cached mean on RamNode's site? And I assume I can use Debian Squeeze?

@nick or @eastonch - what are the weekly backups you speak of on the site? How do they work? What do they back up? Thanks!

• Does anyone here have a RamNode with an SSD that can share the disk IO rates they are getting, or other benchmarks? I'd like to see how it compares to my Linode.

• If you are skilled at administering your Linode, then you will be better of using KVM.

After a few kernel related changes and some modprobes should be able to transfer your disk image from Linode quite quickly and get it running. Just do a few test runs and it should all go smoothly

• @unriptr said: Does anyone here have a RamNode with an SSD that can share the disk IO rates they are getting, or other benchmarks? I'd like to see how it compares to my Linode.

RamNode is having more than 700mb/s for the dd, but I forgot about ioping :)

• Hi unriptr, you're welcome, I'm still learning constantly from this site, there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks here!

SSD-cached means your files are stored on HDD, but commonly-used files are copied into SSD as needed. For all practical purposes it's like getting the space of HDD with the speed of SSD.

Check serverbear's site for tons of benchmarks. There was a "Linode sucks" thread here recently with a number of testimonials from others like you who switched from Linode to a LEB (and there are also some positive experiences with Linode!).

• @unriptr I think we're daily backups, and they're offsite to a server in FDCServers (Rented).

SSD-Cached is exact as @seanho said:

SSD-cached means your files are stored on HDD, but commonly-used files are copied into SSD as needed. For all practical purposes it's like getting the space of HDD with the speed of SSD.

• unriptrunriptr Member
    edited October 2012

Is SSD-cached the same thing as a hybrid SSD? I read on anandtech that the performance of hybrid drives are quite bad...

I did a benchmark on my Linode and am getting 58MB/s in IO. That's really low, no?

• No, Hybrid ssd is basically a regular hard drive with a ssd cache.
    not to be run in raid 10

ssd-cache is you have a sans hardrive bank for your main storage and use ssd drives to cache the most used peices of data.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@unriptr said: I highly recommend Costco for everything, hah, not just meat!

are you the alien from the movie?

btw, go with Avante

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@unriptr said: Is SSD-cached the same thing as a hybrid SSD? I read on anandtech that the performance of hybrid drives are quite bad...

I did a benchmark on my Linode and am getting 58MB/s in IO. That's really low, no?

I consider something below 100 not great and below 80 starts to be bad, but this is my standard. For free servers, over 10 is acceptable, over 30 is good. A webserver will run acceptable for 5 mb/s if not much db access is needed.
    The SSD cache is a drive attached to the server on which the "hot" data is and the rest is on a big raid behind it.
    A VPS requires some data from the big raid which is placed on SSD while sent to the vps too. If needed next time, will be taken from the SSD directly.
    Since about 10-20% of the data on a vps is actually read/written frequently and reading accounts for 80% or so of the iops, using a SSD which has a great reading speed and a huge number of IOPS is a good choice to keep the hot data. Is not exactly as ram cache, however it can host much more data reducing the number of IOPS on the main raid making it possible to sync with the SSD cache at leisure, without much stress and iowait.
    M

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Just to clarify a couple things directly regarding RamNode: we no longer use FDC for backups after I installed a large backup node in our cabinet about a week ago. The backups are once per week as well. Secondly, we use multiple SSDs in our caches for redundancy and performance. The SSD-cached line is actually a combination of two RAID arrays.

• Me.

SSD Caching to me is more Ideal, we save money, but get huge performance boosts in the IOPS of disk accesses. I have one VPS node we are testing this on and it has barely any IO wait compared to another VPS node that does not have it. In both cases they are using 7200 RPM drives for the hard drives, and 2nd generation Intel SSD's on the SSD Cached Node. The SSD Cached node has 200 VPS and the non SSD Cached node has 130 VPS.

When you're talking about hybrid drives, that are drives with flash memory on them, where SSD Cacheing is using a separate SSD to cache data. Maxtor is the only vendor that I know of that did Hybrids and while the performance is on par of a 10k rpm single drive, it's not that remarkable and most users just opt for the SSD. The maxtor drive is also a consumer grade drive and nowhere near prosumer grade IMO.

• @unriptr said: I should have mentioned, but I want at least 2 cores. Linode states that you get "4 processor Xen instances", whatever that means? Do you have any KVM plans with at least 2 cores? I run a Tomcat server for an Apache Solr app on the same server that runs nginx, PHP-FPM and MySQL...

I suggest at least 1GB KVM. Tomcat and 1 grails app for me plus mysql eats 350mb - 400mb. Your PHP and Solr will eat a little bit more. There are lots of offers for 1GB KVM now at LEB or near LEB prices. Also GetKVM somethings offers 640Mb at LEB price.

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • Thanks all! I'm leaning towards ramnode as they offer an SSD service and the others don't, evidently, but I can't decide between SSD cached and a straight SSD. Nick says they have more flexibility to increase size on the cached plan. Right now I have about 8GB used, as we don't have many large files and any videos we would create would go on Youtube, though I could see me hitting 10GB in a year or so as user data grows...

Also, Nick said that they don't oversell on OpenVZ and I like to trust people, so if that's the case, I can save even more money. Are there downsides to OpenVZ, besides no Windows support (which I could care less about)?

What were FDC backups? How are backups conducted now, and what exactly is backed up?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2012

@jcaleb said: There are lots of offers for 1GB KVM now at LEB

What 1gb KVM LEB priced offers haven't deadpooled? Has anyone done it yet? It's a hard price point still.

• Well, 1G KVM for $7 isn't that impossible (32GB node, put 28x 1G KVMs on it - monthly income from full node $196 - not super profit but still not a loss either).

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited October 2012

Yes but as we went over earlier your looking at overselling of io at some point

@vdnet said :Considering 128GB of RAM for one box, they are going to be overselling the disk I/O and CPU like crazy before they sell out that box.

We were putting 8xRAID10 SATA on 32GB of RAM. At that ratio they would need 32xSATA disks to match the disk I/O needed to power well performing virtual servers.

So at what point are they on this node overselling the io?

• So your looking at 16 vps before you start overselling io per my math.

• jhjh Member

@rds100 said: Well, 1G KVM for $7 isn't that impossible (32GB node, put 28x 1G KVMs on it - monthly income from full node $196 - not super profit but still not a loss either).

That wouldn't go far to cover overheads

• @rds100 said: Well, 1G KVM for $7 isn't that impossible (32GB node, put 28x 1G KVMs on it - monthly income from full node $196 - not super profit but still not a loss either).

Is it profit? $196 in income

If I build it, and amortize the node over 36 months, ~$50
    Colo ~$30 for 1U $60 for 2U
    Solus $10

So ~$100 before adding in any back end expenses, and these costs go way up if leasing. I know I would never deploy a node that made $50-100 in profit per U if I wanted to cover back end costs and have cash flow to keep adding nodes. Could be why all I can think of deadpooled who tried it.

Even going the E5 huge node route, my cost per node is ~$5500 for a 12 disk with 2 disk ssd cache 128gb node, but I cannot sell 128gb off this, I don't have the disk space using 1tb drives, and adding $1200 for 2tb disks is not attractive. Also I would hate to be on an E3 with 28gb of ram sold. I have most of my KVM e3 nodes with 24gb and sell 22gb and that is pushing that CPU to the brink.

Thanked by 2craigb marcm
  • @miTgiB

I think prometeus has 1gb KVM for LEB price?

• Yes, as i said it is a quite tiny profit so could be done for some promotional offer, but you are right - there is a good reason why there are not many long lived $7 / 1GB KVM offers.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited October 2012

@unriptr said: Does anyone here have a RamNode with an SSD that can share the disk IO rates they are getting, or other benchmarks? I'd like to see how it compares to my Linode.

My current RamNode 512MB SKVM vps performance: http://budingyun.me/ramnode-512mb-skvm-benchmark/

For other benchmark you can refer here: http://serverbear.com/9756/ramnode

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @unriptr said: also reviewing

I recommend BuyVM's SJ location if you are close to san jose. I've never had any downtime so far.. Hostigation is decent.. (I'm using their webhosting)