Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode or Gandi ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode or Gandi ?

ispanakispanak Member
edited October 2012 in General

Hi,

I want to buy a VPS package for the first time.
At "SITE 5" hosting package I have apporximetly 30.000 hit per day. (for the 20 web site total) and 50 GB bandwith per month.

I couldn't decide to buy which of these package that I must buy?
1- Linode - Linode 768 (http://www.linode.com)
2- Gandi (2 share) - https://www.gandi.net/hosting/vps

Is both of these packets eneough for my requirements?
I am from Turkey so I want to use VPS from Europe. And The VPS must be reliable.
If you know better than both you can advice another VPS...

thanks.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

None of the above.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Linode or Gandi ?

Neither

If you know better than both you can advice another VPS...

Here's a good website for you: http://www.lowendbox.com/

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2012

I would say Linode if your site doesn't get ddosed you will be fine. People who hate on Linode either just say it without any previous experience or there site got DDoS'ed and got null routed for a long time

Alternatively look through some hosts here, do some research on here and google for reviews and you will be fine and pay a lower price.

• @Jack Do they really need it? Rather they work on the infrastructure and amazing control panel then getting own IP Space just because some techy people like a whois of the IP? Most users and businesses who Linode won't even look at it.

On the other hand http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-74-207-224-0-1/pft

• jhjh Member

Have used both and would recommend both. Check out Softlayer.com's Cloudlayer as well, which is what I'm using at the moment.

• Only 30 Hits per day and 50GB Bandwidth per month? Why not spend less money and get a shared hosting plan?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2012

@Jack said: If they had there own IPs / Network they could proceed with nullroutes easier without having to contact whoever they have the servers off.

It could be how they work, last time I asked they said they put a min 24 hour null route or until it lasts

http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/LINOD/nets

We do not inspect or filter traffic, so if you become the target of a DoS attack, we would not take any action unless it is large enough to negatively impact our network and subsequently the service of other Linodes. In the event of this occurring, you Linode's IP address would be null routed (disconnected) for a minimum of 24 hours.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@ispanak

Hello,

If you have to pick between Linode and Gandi, then I'd go with Linode. That is from personal experience. I've only used Linode out of the 2, and they were great when I was with them. I've heard they are fine up until you get a DDoS attack.

There are some perfectly good LEB providers including @StormVZ (who's commented on this post), EaseVPS @Jacob, DotVPS - @Jack, VirtIO - @jhadley and more.

I'd pick one that fits your requirements, however also budget. I don't think you'll have a problem with getting an LEB provider to fit your budget. This is considering you were thinking of going with Linode who are classed as a premium provider.

The providers I have suggested are all in the UK apart from DotVPS which is in the Netherlands. There are lots of providers to choose from. I've not had personal experience with StormVZ (apart from in the beta, but from what i've heard, their service is good). VirtIO are slightly more expensive, but are SSD based.

Good luck to picking a provider who suits you best. :)

Hope this post helps you.

-Dominic

• 30,000 views per day? 50GB Monthly Bandwidth? The bandwidth consumption isn't bad, but those views. :S Yes, a VPS would be perfect for you, not a shared plan! Have you taken a look at http://6sync.com/

• ChanChan Member
    edited October 2012

Well for 30,000 views a day you may want to stay away from most of the LEB providers, some of them are really good but some of them are horrible, if I was you I wouldn't risk the site's uptime to test how good they are

PS: For good LEBs around Europe have a look at Edis and Prometeus (not implying those not mentioned aren't good)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2012

@dominicl Thanks for the mention but our EU location (UK) is currently sold out due to limited IP Space availability :(

Good luck on your search OP

Thanked by 1PacketVM
  • I have also seen interesting VPS offers in Turkey on WHT, but never tried any of them personally.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

Prometeus is not far from Turkey, also fitvps from bulgaria, but any eu provider should do. However,30k hits mean more than 20 a minute, given the fact they tend to have peak hours, I would say 20 hits a second is not rare, up to 100 in rare spikes.
    In order to be sure the site performs best during those spikes, you should have at least 1 GB spare memory and a fast SSD storage.
    You can do with 1 GB in total with a light panel included (i presume 50 sites are not administered manually with conf files and they might have mail etc), but it may lag and some providers might treat you as abuser if the sites are heavy, for example, the likes of Drupal will not do well in 256 with only a visitor or two... And that is only one site.
    I suggest you get a 1 GB pland and grow from there, as long as you have SSD or SSED cached plans, it should be fine even for heavier sites. Add one gb if you have clamav and spamassasin and the mail is pretty busy.
    M

• wdqwdq Member

I haven't personally used Gandi, but I have used Linode. I didn't have any issues with Linode when I used them.

• Linode is fine, and their support is great as long as you don't get ddosed.

Thanked by 1ispanak
  • Misread that @liam.

• @ispanak I would suggest to use DigitalOcean(https://www.digitalocean.com/). They have servers in New York and Amsterdam. I have a 512 MB server with them and I'm satisfied. Drives are SSD. They have automatic back up/snapshot option free of charge. And in case your site goes viral, you can spin up your server with just one click. And there is no bandwidth cap. I highly recommend them.

Thanked by 1ispanak
  • @chinmoy Just wish there were more console access options than that picky HTML5 console.

• @Zetta said: Just wish there were more console access options than that picky HTML5 console.

You are mistaken. :) You can manage your servers with ssh cliets just like any other server. :)

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited October 2012

@chinmoy said: You are mistaken. :)

Nope. In SolusVM you get VNC access to the emulated VGA, the only way you can do that in their panel is through the in-browser HTML5 console.

Also, judging from the smile faces and spelling errors please put the crack pipe down if you think I didn't know you could SSH into a VPS.

• linode null route you for long hours if you get ddos, for this reason I just recommend Buyvm, whose ddos protected IP works just fine.

• @Zetta said: Also, judging from the smile faces and spelling errors please put the crack pipe down if you think I didn't know you could SSH into a VPS.

Noted.

• @StormVZ said: I would say Linode if your site doesn't get ddosed you will be fine. People who hate on Linode either just say it without any previous experience or there site got DDoS'ed and got null routed for a long time

That's just wrong man. Your message is the one that is unfounded. There's a couple of us here that have had definite experience with Linode and left them for one or more good reason(s). They can all be found here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4706/why-linode-sucks-a-personal-rant. I would advise the OP to read that thread, because it does contain useful information.

Thanked by 1ispanak
  • Buyvm servers in USA. I need Europe server.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Get a Prometeus 1 GB biz OVZ SSD and never look back. If you need more memory or space, can upgrade in place.
    M

• I can vouch for @prometeus, they're an awesome provider with fantastic support.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

30000 hits per day is only ~2.88 per second, averaged over the entire day. Are you seeing huge spikes at specific times of day or something?

Current Time: Monday, 15-Oct-2012 13:17:23 MST
    Restart Time: Sunday, 14-Oct-2012 17:02:32 MST
    Parent Server Generation: 24
    Server uptime: 20 hours 14 minutes 51 seconds
    Total accesses: 1039889 - Total Traffic: 15.5 GB
    CPU Usage: u9.49 s1.85 cu.04 cs0 - .0156% CPU load
    14.3 requests/sec - 223.6 kB/second - 15.7 kB/request
    16 requests currently being processed, 25 idle workers

Is being hosted on a somewhat crappy spec'd VPS that costs me $3/month, without issue. Load generally runs between 0.6 and 1.5, on a 4-core system. Apache 2.2 with fcgid.

Thanked by 1ispanak
  • @Damian said: 30000 hits per day is only ~2.88 per second

Actually it is one hit every 2.88 seconds, so even less ;-)

• @rds100 said: Actually it is one hit every 2.88 seconds, so even less ;-)

Ah yes, good catch! It's been a long day...