Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not all traffic through the VPN - possible?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Not all traffic through the VPN - possible?

alexalex Member
edited October 2012 in Help

I'm in EU and would like to watch HULU, so far I've been using a SSH tunnel on a VPS, but would like to switch to using VPN to connect my AppleTV. Would it be possible to connect to a VPN and do NOT route all the traffic through it? All I need is to be able to use XBMC with the VPN.
Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Yeah, you could use OpenVPN and static routes.

• krokro Member

Setup a Squid proxy or something :) Everything half decent has proxy support. Get it elite proxy standard i think :)

Thanked by 1alex
  • The 'proper' way to do this would be routing the subnets differently, with different gateways (ISP gw, vs VPN, that is)

Look into Windows route addition via IPAPI if you use Windows, otherwise just route --help.

Thanked by 1alex
  • I'm going to assume that you are going to connect to your vpn via either a router that supports vpn connections or use your PC as the router.
    Either way it is possible. If you are using a router, you will need to have command line access, so tomato firmware dd-wrt or similar. If you are using a PC then you just need to do a 'route add' and set your vpn connect to NOT route all traffic over the vpn. This is how I have it setup. I have multiple vpns connected for work. Office and datacenter at the same time with only traffic for those work subnets going over the vpns

Thanked by 1alex
  • What VPN software are you using? I know OpenVPN you actually configure what routes you want to be pushed down to the client, basically just change that from a default route to the specific subnets that your interested in.

• @Sloth said: What VPN software are you using? I know OpenVPN you actually configure what routes you want to be pushed down to the client, basically just change that from a default route to the specific subnets that your interested in.

I don't (yet) as I said I'm looking to switch from using ssh tunnel.
    Thanks everyone for your input, will look into the static routes then.

• PPTP/OpenVPN both will work, just don't 'push redirect-gateway def1' for OpenVPN and don't 'Use gateway on the remote network' for PPTP if you want specified routes.