Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remove white background in png files without photoshop?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Remove white background in png files without photoshop?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited October 2012 in Help

Just wondering if anyone knows any online tool/small free program that might help me to remove the white background and make the background transparent for a .png file? Nope it is not for stealing images :)

Comments

• If you want a photoshop alternative which is free, try GIMP.

If it's just one image, post it here, and we can do it for you.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @AsadHaider said: try GIMP.

Errrrr. Cant stand GIMP :P

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Errrrr. Cant stand GIMP :P

Yeah, I know :(

Also, it's about time you got OpenVZ Ash!! Looking forward to seeing your offer :P

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • @AsadHaider said: If it's just one image, post it here, and we can do it for you.

Just PMed you, thanks so much for your help!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@zhuanyi said: Just wondering if anyone knows any online tool/small free program that might help me to remove the white background and make the background transparent for a .png file? Nope it is not for stealing images :)

This is something you can't really do accurately in an automated fashion. GIMP is actually very suitable for this task - select magic wand, set the right tolerance (trial and error) and start selecting and deleting. That's pretty much all there is to it. Then save as PNG.

• Additionally, GIMP now supports single-window mode, so you don't get a mass of floating windows anymore.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Did that in 2/3 lines of PHP, long ago....

@Miky said: Did that in 2/3 lines of PHP, long ago....

I doubt it. At best, you could have used ImageMagick or GD to change all white pixels to transparent pixels.

That does not account for:

1. White pixels that are actually part of the image, and not of the background.
    2. Pixels that are almost white but not quite (while being part of the background).
    3. Alpha channel oddness, such as a 'glow' or 'shadow' around an element, where the pixels aren't white, yet should be semi-transparent to avoid a ragged edge.
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

http://www.getpaint.net/ - nice and free

• Win OS only? thanks.. i pass..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There may be a way of doing this in ImageMagick at the command line, but I don't have time/inclination to research...just throwing it out as an idea.

• tuxtux Member

Pinta is Paint.NET clone for linux.

Thanked by 2joepie91 juan_144
  • Gimp ^^

• I just noticed that I actually have paint.net installed on my laptop, does anyone know what is the correct procedure to remove the white background in Paint.NET?

• why don't you pm @AsadHaider? he willing to help you

• @Randy said: why don't you pm @AsadHaider? he willing to help you

He actually did, thanks so much to him but I guess it is better for me to learn how to catch fish rather than get fish from someone every time I am hungry :)

• So nobody knows how to do it in Paint.NET? Just for my own learning purposes and so that I don't have to bug @AsadHaider every time :) Thanks people!

@tux said: Pinta is Paint.NET clone for linux.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Never knew this existed.

• No one replied so I checked on Google and here is what I found how to do it:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/19288-how-do-i-make-a-background-transparent/#entry328231

Have not experimented yet, will try it at home tonight.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Gimp is good

• Paint.NET is just like an upgraded version of Microsoft Paint that has some UI elements of Photoshop adapted to it.

Better use Photoshop or GIMP :)

• pixlr.com .. thy this one .. best online photo editing tool

Thanked by 1Spencer