Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't use LEB IRC for now - Avante Hosting Did This - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Don't use LEB IRC for now - Avante Hosting Did This

Comments

• @Spencer
    As I said, chippy1337 provided me with a password used by an opped user..
    Thanks for your comment though!

• alexalex Member
    edited October 2012

[double post]

• @ChrisK said: I wish I wasn't apart of this, it seems it wasn't my choice.

I just got a message with with a command, copy/pasted and bam I was another user and was op.
    Surely if I planned to do this I wouldn't do it under my real IP or nickname..

unless you're a moron

• @Alex

Right, which I'm not.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2012

@DamienSB said: Why don't you all just go to #lowendtalk?

What for? It's freenode. Channel was back in right hands in few minutes. All this was just little stupid meaningless excess. We have something to talk about now but not real damage done (apart from @TheHackBox auth pass ownage - that's the only real nasty thing done).

• So I ate a sandwich today.

wait is this the Cest Pit?

Thanked by 3lbft Legendlink djvdorp
  • If you go into #lowendtalk that chippy1337 guy is there

• @ChrisK said: There was a person who I know named chippy1337 and he told me to run a few commands, in which I authenticated myself...

Even if I believed that (I don't) I'm glad that I never trusted my data to someone who would copy-and-paste commands from someone else without knowing what they do.

• @lbft
    Its IRC.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited October 2012

@ChrisK: Most clients have commands that can directly execute things on the machine..

• @alex said: unless you're a moron
    @ChrisK said: @Alex Right, which I'm not.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Its IRC.

Yes. It's IRC. RFC 1459 (and followups). Unless you were trying to imply that it being a certain protocol somehow gave you a free pass to be an idiot?

• @Joepie91
    There is no need to be rude.
    As I said someone named 'chippy1337' contacted me on IRC..

• @ChrisK said: There is no need to be rude.

Why do you play this card every time you avoid answering anything?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

There is no need to be rude.
    As I said someone named 'chippy1337' contacted me on IRC..

I think that 'need to be rude' originates from your involvement in this whole thing.

Thanked by 1Chief
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This isn't where I parked my car.

• TazTaz Member

Let the party hit the floor. Let the party hit the floor.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Taz hate to break it to you... but if you were thinking of the song by Drowning Pool, then it's "Let the bodies hit the floor".

awkward turtle

• TazTaz Member

Just pulled it off my head lol.

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited October 2012

I feel like giving the whole story here.
    So here we go.
    (Steps)
    1. @joepie91 's network was hacked (a while ago)
    2. Hacker gets password from network hack
    3. Hacker hacks my account on freenode
    4. Hacker ops self in room and bans everyone
    5. Hacker gave @ChrisK password and @ChrisK opped self.
    6. I regained control to the room and unbanned people.
    7. Set invite only on room, disconnected from freenode.
    8. Come back and I cannot get in the room.
    9. LET and LEB get ddos'd by my hacker.
    10. Waited until @William came online to invite me back.
    11. Removed +I on room and now the room is back to normal.

So important lesson from here is: IF SOMEONE TELLS YOU TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD.

TLDR: Cryto IRC network was hacked, hacker hacked my account with pass, took over room, banned operators, I then locked myself out of the room.

TLDR #2: Even I fail at security sometimes.

EDIT: @ChrisK was not the cause of the DDOS. The hacker launched the attack against LET and LEB.

Thanked by 3ChrisK bnmkl djvdorp
  • I remember Avante host, The owner was the immature kid that kept hitting my cron when we was working on the server about a year back.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • @ChrisK said: There was a person who I know named chippy1337 and he told me to run a few commands

Now this is a guy I want to rent a VPS from. "Uh, I ran a few commands I found on google, and I deleted your VPS."

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

Considering background information on that "Chippy1337" thing i guess it sounds plausible that they hacked @joepie91 and after that DDoSsed stuff.

• I'm confused too.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • Why do I have a feeling that someone staged this epic drama for us to run our popcorn levels low.

• @cosmicgate said: Why do I have a feeling that someone staged this epic drama for us to run our popcorn levels low.

I already ran out. I'm on sunflower seeds now.

• @cosmicgate said: Why do I have a feeling that someone staged this epic drama for us to run our popcorn levels low.

@Kairus said: I already ran out. I'm on sunflower seeds now.

You guys haven't learned to buy in bulk yet? It prepares you for any drama spikes in advance. In addition, if you buy five boxes, you get a GIF collection free.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @ChrisK said: I did not do the actual takeover, someone opped me once it was done.

@ChrisK said: Yes they gave me access after they had gotten your password.

@ChrisK said: There was a person who I know named chippy1337 and he told me to run a few commands, in which I authenticated myself...

@ChrisK said: As I said, chippy1337 provided me with a password used by an opped user..

@ChrisK said: As I said someone named 'chippy1337' contacted me on IRC..

So, someone gave you hackintech password. Why would you of just ignored it or reported it to him instead?

• Given that he was not smart enough to maintain different passwords on seperate networks, then just my opinion is he should have his powers removed in the IRC.

This doesn't mean I agree with what @ChrisK did though.