Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft offers free shared hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft offers free shared hosting

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited October 2012 in General

Interesting...

https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/details/#header-1

In a nutshell - about 5GB/mo bandwidth, 1GB storage, 20MB mysql, php/asp.net/node.js - free.

Their Azure Linux VMs are in the same ballpark as Amazon's, but Amazon does not offer any kind of shared hosting.

Negative: the free tier only works on the azureWebSites.net domain. If you want your own domain, you need to upgrade to their paid which isn't that attractive.

Comments

• Basically Geocities with php/asp/node.js and mysql support.

not bad

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Now this is the free Windows hosting everyone is looking for.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Sounds like a great place to dump inactive domain names! Woo!

Thanked by 1Randy
  • How to sign up?

• @ElliotJ said: Sounds like a great place to dump inactive domain names! Woo!

?? Free only works with their own subdomain.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Victor said: ?? Free only works with their own subdomain.

Nothing stops you from redirecting the URL There are free dns offers all around, some offer cloaking.
    M

• 165 MB of outbound data per day, unlimited inbound data

meh...

• Azure are also doing a 90 day free "small" virtual machine, you get 2GB of ram and can install Windows trial or Linux. Currently using it at work for a project and it's been great over the past few weeks.

• fanfan Veteran

The only thing I found not so pleasing with Azure is the bandwidth pricing, it's way too expensive compared to the VM cost.

• @Asad got sauce?

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@Nexus said: got sauce?

https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/free-trial/

Does need debit/credit card info, but stick to the limits and you won't go over.

You get three months free - It's enough to run a Small instance full time each month, or you can run a large instance for two weeks every month, or extra large for one week every month.

Comes with Windows 2008 R2 90 day trial versions which is great, and I've been using that for work.

• @AsadHaider Thank you for that. It does seem legit so far.

• fanfan Veteran

Does need debit/credit card info, but stick to the limits and you won't go over.

Set the spending limit to $0.00 and no worry about being charged. Their spending limit works like this: if you exceed your free tier under a spending limit of 0, your subscription is temporarily disabled and will be automatically re-enabled when the new billing cycle starts.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@fan said: Set the spending limit to $0.00 and no worry about being charged.

I wish Amazon had this. I tried out EC2 when it first came out, went on holiday for two weeks to a third world country with no internet and forgot I left my machine on.. It was one of their clusterfuck GPU instances to.

Learned my lesson :P

Thanked by 1titanicsaled
  • fanfan Veteran

Learned my lesson :P

Me too, also M$ 's support is surprisingly good: they called me 3 times regarding a question regarding the spending limit. xD

• @fan said: Me too, also M$ 's support is surprisingly good: they called me 3 times regarding a question regarding the spending limit. xD

Yeah, we love em for business. I've been phoning them up about Azure to ask questions over the past few weeks and they've been really helpful!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Microsoft support is cool here lately too.
    I remember in the Socket A times I called about some install error i got for XP (there was a strange MB that was causing the CPU to overheat) and they told me there must be some mistake because that error means I have a DEC alpha and not an x86...
    M

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@raindog308 said: about 5GB/mo bandwidth, 1GB storage,

sounds like a little file hosting :)