Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi 2G and failover IP (technical question)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi 2G and failover IP (technical question)

nikcnikc Member
edited October 2012 in Help

I'm wondering if someone can help me / advise if something is possible.

I have a UK Kimsufi 2G that I bought to use as a OpenVPN-AS (mainly VPN, but also some other stuff) so I can get a UK IP. Sadly I didn't check properly and found out its in France, so I purchased a UK failover IP ....

What I am trying to figure out is can I force all of my outbound traffic (or even just the VPN traffic) to appear as though it's coming from the UK failover IP or should i just give up ?

Cheers

Comments

• Just switch the main IP to the UK IP address.

• @MartinD said: Just switch the main IP to the UK IP address.

Apparently not possible the OVH guys are telling me ...

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@nikc Why not? You just order a failover IP and select UK, you should then be able to map and assign that to your dedicated server.

Right? I'm sure I've done this before with UK IPs..

• Yeh done that, followed the instruction to setup the failover as eth0:0 (UK IP) but my outbound traffic still comes from the IP assigned to eth0 (FR IP) ....

• @nikc Set it as the main IP for eth0.

What program are you trying to use the UK IP with? Bind it to the UK IP or set that as the outgoing IP.

• Perhaps you did not go to the AS configuration and set the interface as eth0:0 and reboot?

• This works just fine, I've tried it before too.

• @Wintereise said: This works just fine, I've tried it before too.

Flipping the IP works fine or ?

• Yes, just assign it to eth0 and drop the other IP completely and it'll work.

• @MartinD said: Yes, just assign it to eth0 and drop the other IP completely and it'll work.

Keep the same GW etc etc ? literally just swap it over so the old IP is ?

• Yes, @nikc.

The IPs may be from different subnets, but your GW still stays three.octents.of-main.ip.254.

• Didn't work changing the IP ... it's just fell off the net and I had to rebuild :(

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@nikc said: it's just fell off the net and I had to rebuild :(

Why don't you just connect over IPv6 when experimenting with changing IPv4 addresses.

• ^ That too.

• You can use the 2nd IP address for OpenVPN traffic by setting it in the /etc/openvpn server conf file:

local {ip_address_to_use}

And also set it for the iptables nat rule:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to {ip_address_to_use}