Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need VPS advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need VPS advice

birdie25birdie25 Member
edited October 2012 in Help

For my gaming clan I need a VPS with a very solid network located within the EU. There's only one catch, it can't be Prometeus. It's going to be running TS3 so 128MB RAM would be fine.

Cost: ALAP (As Low As Possible, preferred yearly)
Max: 20€ a year

Thanks!

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@birdie25 said: There's only one catch, it can't be Prometeus.

This is... unusual...
    Just curious why ?
    M

• flyfly Member

edis in austria

• If NL or DE are any good to you (KVM), give me a PM :)

• YKMYKM Member

+1 for GetKVM, great provider

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • @Maounique said: This is... unusual...

Just curious why ?
    M

Some of my members have been experiencing packetloss on our current Prometeus VPS.

edited October 2012

Aha, it happened to me too during DDoSes. One of the reasons I was thinking to get a biz plan, not much more expensive but no irc/gameservers allowed there and much less VPSes per 1 gbps port, therefore packetloss would be much less likely.
    However, there are no 128 MB biz plans so I understand why you need a different provider.
    One advice: add the requisite that they do not allow game servers and irc as those attracts DDoSes and blackout/packetloss at times OR they offer DDoS protection.
    M

• @birdie25 Prometeus has been in business for a very long time - since 1997 - and I've heard of them long before I was involved in the web hosting business. Their business VPS packages run on Xen, and the pricing is more than adequate.

• Imho the 2nd most stable provider (after Prometheus) is ProviderService (or GetKVM in the same DC). Don't go with Edis if you need stability, their AT location got DDoSsed every other day.

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge

@vpsnodebox said: run on Xen

Xen is not available for some time.
    There are Biz-like packages on SSD with ovz and kvm. I think kvm is also almost soldout due to leb listing.
    The problem is that there are no 128 MB plans on SSD/low density servers so another provider will be better.
    M

• @Maounique I did not know that, sorry. I was just looking at the plans. Since price is the most important thing I guess he shouldn't be focusing on 128MB only, I bet that if he finds something with more RAM for the right price it would be just fine.

• @Maounique On a side note, what did you guys use for Drupal & WHMCS integration? Don't mean to derail the thread or anything like, just curious. Thank you.

• Based on my experience, HTTPZoom in the UK provides a very solid network.

http://httpzoom.com/

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • I can offer Xen plans in UK if that is any good to you. Have some clients already who run TS3 servers without issues.

• BuyVM, forget the EU only policy, unless they're using a potato as a router and monkeys for ISP's you'll not notice the 20ms difference in a TS3 server, buyvm is also DDOS protected.

• @eastonch

They're not DDoS protected unless you pay for a filtered IP which is $3 a month. If you don't have that, you get null-routed pretty fast.

• I recommend @AnthonySmith's Inception Hosting :P

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited October 2012

@eastonch said: BuyVM, forget the EU only policy, unless they're using a potato as a router and monkeys for ISP's you'll not notice the 20ms difference in a TS3 server, buyvm is also DDOS protected.

huh?

You can get to most places in the EU within ~40ms.
    San Jose is ~165ms, Buffalo is ~105ms.

I'm presuming @birdie25 is asking for EU as VoIP/Gaming is dependent on low latency; an additional 100ms will be very noticeable.

Personally I'd recommend a location with good peering to LINX/AMS-IX. I've had good experiences with TinyKVM in London and InceptionHosting for NL. Solid providers, you can't go wrong.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

@eastonch said: BuyVM, forget the EU only policy, unless they're using a potato as a router and monkeys for ISP's you'll not notice the 20ms difference in a TS3 server

WTF?? BuyVM NY is +80ms and SJ +150ms. For a gamer thats completly unacceptable.

• and only SJ has the DDoS protection apparently

• @YKM said: +1 for GetKVM, great provider

Thank you, your comments are appreciated :)

• I've updated my requirements with a max budget, 20€ a year.

edited October 2012

@birdie25 said: 20€ a year.

I think that pretty much limits you to Prometeus, Edis and Torqhost

This might help you, it's Edis CH location and Prometeus monitored from an OVH VPS:

Prometeus:

Edis CH:

(huge spike/gap in the middle was due to a problem on the monitoring server)

You should ask @William which location is the most stable.

• @gsrdgrdghd What.

I'm a gamer myself; ms makes a difference, but for VOIP? No.

edited October 2012

@eastonch said: ms makes a difference, but for VOIP? No.

It really depends on the kind of games you are playing (and the skilllevel at which you are playing). You won't notice much of a difference when just chatting while playing Minecraft, but if you do high-end gameplay in a fast game notifying your teamers 150ms later than your enemies can make a huge difference.

Apart from the ping stability-wise it's better to have a server in a datacenter that peers directly with your ISP than having one 15 hops away where the packets need to travel though 3 different carriers and around half the world.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I think that pretty much limits you to Prometeus, Edis and Torqhost

Prometeus does not have a plan to fit that price on a small server.
    To be almost sure there will never be a DDoS problem, need to get a Biz plan on a low density server where few VPSes share the 1 gbps port and also forbids irc and gameservers.
    With that kind of budget, it is not possible to get a DDoS protected service either, from what I know.
    M

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Don't go with Edis if you need stability, their AT location got DDoSsed every other day.

That has been solved for a long time by capacity upgrades at the Vienna-Graz-Maribor link.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • I'll go with ProviderService.
    They have zero downtime so far. At least for me. :)