Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you guys keep track of all you vps's login data?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you guys keep track of all you vps's login data?

kornnflakekornnflake Member
edited October 2012 in General

I wonder how you guys keep track of all you vps's login data. Cause some users here are talking about managing >10 vps. I currently do simple save all of mine in Putty's saved sessions. Is there an app for that which for example also tracks the billing period?

Comments

• @kornnflake said: Is there an app for that which for example also tracks the billing period?

Email and invoice reminders.

• I store it all in my ~/.ssh/config file

• wdqwdq Member

I use 1Password.

• There are several ways. One of them is to keep the passwords on your billing system.
    Another way, where you can also organise servers, vps etc is a mind map utility.
    I suggest FreeMind: http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

• flyfly Member

Pubkeys

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Public/private keys. And, the WHMCS/SolusVM/CP passwords are either in KeepassX or Lastpass.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • key pair... im too lazy, i use only a key, the one in my laptop

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Use the same password for every account you have!*

*not a good idea.

Thanked by 3klikli Ishaq Raymii
  • LOL .

i save @ notepad

• for any web designers, how do you organize your themes or icon files for later use?

I'm thinking of using a portfolio website and have a picture with the name of the item (template, logo etc) then save all of the actual files in one location.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I just set all my passwords to "qwerty".

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited October 2012

@Oliver I just set all my passwords to "qwerty".

LowEndTalk Database
    Client 1: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty"
    Client 2: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty"
    Client 3: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty"
    Client 4: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty"
    Client 5: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty"
    Client 6: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty"
    LET: IDIOTS. denied

Thanked by 3Asim klikli Ishaq
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Excel/Google Drive.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@David_P

If someone had tried with an uppercase O they might have got in, but I changed it after my post...

• They use the same public key combo, I just need to remember one passphrase.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • I use a unique key for each VPS with a varying passphrase.

• @kornnflake said: Is there an app for that which for example also tracks the billing period?

Random strings as passwords. Use KeyPass app to save them. Of course public keys as a way to access it if I loose that KeyPass db

I have a personal script that keeps track of what VPSes I have with which company having what resources, billing dates and even planned or current usage to help in planning. If you would be interested in it, I may release it as GPL in github or something like that. Lemme know

• @Nick_A said: Excel/Google Drive.

Same here.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

how save can google drive be? notepad ftw for me ;-)

• @Randy said: how save can google drive be? notepad ftw

As safe as Randy managing Windows nodes.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

;-). as safe as being hacked by china hackers;-)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

If someone hacks Google and steals my documents, then my hat is off to them. Note, that's not hacking my account but hacking into Google's system itself.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • use public key :P

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Nick_A said: Excel/Google Drive.

Same here, but the password is stored at short version, for example, my real password is "ihavenoidea", then it will be stored as ihni =)

• Random, very strong password for servers (root/sudo users), which is 50 characters alphanumeric and special characters, saved in a KeePass. I log in with my private key. I'm pretty save in that area ;)

Anyway, storing password in anything like an excel sheet (password protection FTW) or a plain text document seems like a really stupid idea. For some of us here it's their business that depends on it. We've all seen it go wrong. Have we all learned?

• I use keypairs for ssh/scp, and Keepass for everything else.

• I set random long passwords which i immediately forget. Then i use ssh keys to login.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2012

There are people who leave password auth in SSH enabled? O___O
    WHY???

I login by password only once; then

ssh-copy-id [email protected]

then edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config as below, and restart sshd.

PasswordAuthentication no

Done, all further logins are only by the public/private key.

Try for yourself: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/ssh-public-key-based-authentication-how-to.html

• @rm_ said: WHY???

Don't underestimate lazyness :) Besides i am always a little nervous making sshd reload when i am connected over ssh.