Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you host with GoDaddy? If so, give one good reason.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you host with GoDaddy? If so, give one good reason.

PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
edited September 2012 in General

Most likely no one here would, but maybe someone new might stumble on this topic. Anyway, if you are currently or are considering it, please give at least one good reason why you would.

Thank you

Comments

• @Jack I don't really understand the question. Maybe I need more coffee :)

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited September 2012

He's saying, yes for redundancy purposes. And lmao at the elephant tag.

• godaddy..

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @GetKVM_Ash Everyone does things differently. We have enough equipment to take care of our own redundancies. Even if I had to use another provider, it wouldn't be them for sure. I'd rather use Linode before them.

• TazTaz Member
    edited September 2012

Dream on guys, Godaddy still hosts more site then combining five or even all of the biggest LET good boy hosts. Thats a fact. They know what they are doing and what they are doing seems to work better than what most others are doing.

For your average hosting needs, godaddy still does better than a lot of hosts out there, They do not need to do a monthly network update, they do not have failed hardware issue on a monthly basis, they rarely have blacklisted ip and has better support than a lot of other famous host.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Well I don't like them, I don't use them, I won't host with them, however the fact that they are so big means that they are doing something right.

Thanked by 2Taz Asim
  • @Taz_NinjaHawk They have money. If some venture capitalist would drop a couple of million dollars in your lap I'm sure we would see less of you around here as you would be busy growing :) You don't have to do anything right if you have money. If people perceive you as a big powerful company they will put up with your shit. GoDaddy has tons of disgruntled customers, but yet they will put up with GoDaddy because ... they are big.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Godaddy still hosts more site then combining five or even all of the biggest LET good boy hosts.

Godaddy is the #1 host in the world even if you combine all EIG owned companies, but they have a captive audiance while selling you a domain....

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @vpsnodebox said: GoDaddy has tons of disgruntled customers

Because they are big. That's is why.

The only reason VPS nodebox doesn't have negative review cause they do not have millions of customer. It is the nature of the industry. Godaddy also have a shit load of legit good reviews. Come up with a better argument.

@vpsnodebox said: I'm sure we would see less of you around here as you would be busy growing

Brent was still active on WHT when he was running HG, Godaddy has 3 active rep on WHT and I am pretty sure 1 will be joining LET within this week ;). ...... Got better points?

• @vpsnodebox said: GoDaddy has tons of disgruntled customers

And megatons of customers overall, so a few tons of disgruntled ones is small potatoes :)

Not sure when we started measuring customers by the ton....

• Anyone here would be very happy making a niche just to pick up the scraps from GoDaddy

• No trying to be cynical, but @vpsnodebox you seem to be opening threads about providers - Linode, now GoDaddy to give them some negative press. It's the way you opened the discussion - I can't find anything good about them... maybe someone can...

I think we all know the answers, so?

Thanked by 1Victor
  • @Jack said: The one about Linode was positive wasn't it?

No it was negative, at least from vpsnodebox perspective. It was along the lines of, "I hate Linode, always have, no someone please provide me wrong."

Could have always said, "Hi all, what do you all think of Linode or Godaddy. Let's start a discussion on it." I'd be much nicer.

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited September 2012

@concerto49 Not really. The general bitching / consensus about Linode IIRC where two major things:
    1) Their aging infrastructure.
    2) Their shitty policy when it comes to DDoS attacks and null-routing.

Let me tell you something: if any of would do what godaddy does and present / stack / sell services like they do we would be labeled as scum. They have lots of customers, and honestly, for everyone's sake I hope that they keep going in the same direction and do things the way that they are doing them now. Your regular John Doe customer doesn't sign up with them because they are good, but because it's the only thing that they heard about in the media.

Read what @serverbear has written about the path that he took to find good hosting: http://serverbear.com/about - Amazingly he didn't start with GoDaddy, but for allot of people it's a similar path.

• TazTaz Member
    edited September 2012

@Vpsnodebox Once you become godaddy or Linode size, I will come and ask you, are you going to have brand new server every two year and migrate thousands of customer on a monthly basis and raise your running cost? Or do you know your users by first name?

I hope you will say yes. If not, piss off.

edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: I hope you will say yes. If not, piss off.

I don't recall using this tone or language with you so please...

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Once you become godaddy or Linode size, I will come and ask you, are you going to have brand new server every two year and migrate thousands of customer on a monthly basis and raise your running cost? Or do you know your users by first name?

I doubt it will ever happen. That being said it's all about how you design your infrastructure. An aging infrastructure is worst for you than for your customers.

Anyway, the thread wasn't about posting negative comments about GoDaddy. I was curious who would host with them and why. Of course, it got derailed.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: I hope you will say yes. If not, piss off.

I hope you will say yes. If not, please post on Cest pit..

There, fixed. Happy?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk Some folks here think that I like to pick on hosts, but I don't. The big players are a different matter, and no one here can compare themselves to them. They do business at a different level. Of course, the way they do business is not healthy, it's not healthy for the economy or for their customers. Like @miTgiB said, everyone here would be happy to just get the scraps, and many of us here could do a better job at serving the customers. So why not pick on them? Why be scared of them? If they keep growing bigger and more powerful they will go to the next step and start buying influence and power. Remember SOPA/PIPA? GoDaddy was for it until people starting moving their domains in hordes to other registrars, at which point GoDaddy pulled their support for SOPA/PIPA. At some point the little guy has to wake up and realize that he doesn't compete with the other little guy for business, but with the big players. I love the community here, I like everyone, and no matter the small arguments I don't have a single problem with anyone here. I'm sorry if I've upset anyone here with any of my comments/threads. Yes, my problem is with the big players who abuse their power every time they get the opportunity to do so.

• @vpsnodebox said: I don't recall using this tone or language with you so please..

If you are gonna play in our sandbox, grow some thicker skin...

• @miTgiB Just trying to keep things civilized :) At the end of the day this is supposed to be a friendly discussion.

• @vpsnodebox said: So why not pick on them? Why be scared of them? If they keep growing bigger and more powerful they will go to the next step and start buying influence and power. Remember SOPA/PIPA? GoDaddy was for it until people starting moving their domains in hordes to other registrars, at which point GoDaddy pulled their support for SOPA/PIPA.

Why pick on anyone? I'm against them over SOPA/PIPA, but then that's a different discussion - a SOPA/PIPA discussion.

I'm not helping them, but this is a "please bash them thread". If you've got specific questions about GoDaddy, a review, a specific problem, please go ahead with it.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited September 2012

I have a 1and1 shared plan for about eight years now. Reliable, full featured, and now their "dual hosting" redundancy is a nice perk too. Shared SQL is rock solid I don't recall any downtime at all.

You can pop cloudflare in front of any shared host and get some pretty good performance.

I can't stand upsell upsell GoDaddy. They are not a true web host in my mind - their core is services and domain reg.

edited September 2012

@concerto49 did you read what the original thread asked? I had no intention to comment on it, just see what others had to say. But you had to start picking on me. Did I talk badly about GoDaddy in the original thread? No. I was asking a simple question: "Would you host with GoDaddy? If so, give one good reason."

Citing out of context and reading my comments between the lines doesn't really make you look cool. Read my entire comment please if you want to understand what I was trying to say. Thank you.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited September 2012

@vpsnodebox said: @concerto49 did you read what the original thread asked?

Yes, but I already pointed it out, it's the tone and the language. It might not be obvious, but you're surely implying it. It's obvious you'll get a lot of negative responses this way knowing what we already think of GoDaddy. I'm all for the earlier thread discussing the patent issue for example from a host, but not just a generic bash.

This isn't. Hey I'm new... never used GoDaddy, some help/thoughts. This is you know have issues and provoking people to add to it.

Thanked by 1sleddog
  • @concerto49 said: Yes, but I already pointed it out, it's the tone and the language. It might not be obvious, but you're surely implying it. It's obvious you'll get a lot of negative responses this way knowing what we already think of GoDaddy. I'm all for the earlier thread discussing the patent issue for example from a host, but not just a generic bash.

That earlier thread turned into a discussion about Bob Parsons going elephant hunting in poverty stricken Zimbabwe. Good point do.

As far as knowing what you guys think, I have no paranormal powers and I don't like to make assumptions, that's why I ask.

The only assumption that I make is that others are doing the same thing as me: reply only to threads that they are genuinely interested in.

• I used GoDaddy many years ago for a good amount of time. They were a decent large shared host just like all of the others (Hostgator, 1&1, Bluehost, etc).

Now that I know a little bit more about servers and web hosting I'd never go with GoDaddy or any shared host. For less money I could get a smaller VPS and host my site in a much faster and better balanced environment.

As far as larger VPS hosts go I kind of have mixed opinions. I actually used Linode for over a year and they had really fast support, and their servers were pretty fast. Since I mainly just run websites I didn't notice any issues with the slightly older hardware.

Lately I've been going back and forth between smaller VPS hosts and hosting from home. Both of which have to be the best options for me.

• i will host static htmls with them if very cheap price

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

GoDaddy gets the job done for a lot of people whether I like it or not. I wouldn't use them, but I used to. They motivated me to start hosting my own content, thus the birth of Catalyst. So in an odd way I do have some kind of respect for them.

edited September 2012

@jarland I have started this for the same reason. It all began with a couple of Drupal project that I was working on for customers. They ran dog slow on everything that was shared hosting. GoDaddy shared hosting is not slow because they are incompetent, it's slow because they are greedy and they want to place thousands of customers on each node. Hence the 32bit CentOS 5 (with PAE enabled) on 48GB+ servers, the crippled PHP (64MB limit, lots of modules missing), no opcode cache and so on. They know they only offer the bare minimum.

My original product that I started with was/is this: http://www.vpsnodebox.com/cloud-hosting

When me and my brother started it was allot of trial and error until we got the right balance of features, resources and cost. I can't say that many hosts are this open about resource allocation as we are.

As far as respect for GoDaddy: I had allot of respect for them and Bob Parsons, but their actions over the years chipped away more and more from that respect. As far as the latest publicity stunt of Bob Parsons that was meant to create controversy so that they media would talk about him and his company, I have found it of poor taste and disgusting.

About your website: I really like the design (it's got its own personality, unique logo and so on), and the bit about what you can get for the price of a Latte is great. It's also true, because people that need hosting for their business and want to spend per month what they spend for a cup of coffee (or a Latte) get what they deserve.

• Some interesting stats here on market share: http://trends.builtwith.com/hosting