Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commercialmedia? Anyone used them? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Commercialmedia? Anyone used them?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@Wintereise Good enough to make up for the claim that they have 6 upstream providers? That's what Mike told me. Still fishy.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@jarland said: Good enough to make up for the claim that they have 6 upstream providers? That's what Mike told me. Still fishy.

Who cares.. They have quad core xeon servers for 40$, that's like 2-3 times cheaper than the cheap providers.. If they do deliver and are somewhat reliable, noone should really care about the network, you won't get a better thing for that pricing.

I care about honesty ;)

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov

@jarland said: I care about honesty ;)

You've got a point.

Thanked by 1jar
  • It is not just the number of upstreams that make a network premium. You can have the best upstreams possible and overload your links like hell - this doesn't make your internet premium.

• Well, comcast is a cable TV operator, phone operator and what not. Such mastodonts are usually very clumsy and their IP network is not managed very well. While Cogent is a pure IP provider so all they do is IP netowrks and they manage their network well.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Well I do believe that they have a cage or two at equinix Ashburn dc2 as that was offered to me so they could be talking about that location in terms of uplink?

• I think they have a cross-connect between the two.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited September 2012

Did anyone notice their SLAs:

99.999+ % Power availability.
    99.99+% Temperature & Humidity availability.
    99.00+% Cross Connect availability.

What about network availability? Wasn't able to find anything in their Terms of Service about it.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited September 2012

Additionally, anyone know where their datacenter is physically located?

There's this listed on their site:

Easy access from 95 North.

If it means I-95, it covers about 8 states on the East coast of the United States, so doesn't help to narrow it down...

• @Damian

DC1 Joh Ave
    Baltimore, MD
    1430 Joh Ave
    Baltimore, MD 21202

• Im heading down there in less than a week, is there any questions you guys want me to ask?

edited September 2012

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Baltimore-MD/New-Birth-African-Methodist-Episcopal-Church-L2386811146.htm
    http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/14108636/1430-Joh-Ave-Baltimore-MD/

Google maps doesn't help much. Offices do seem to be addressed each by their own number and not something like 1430 #1, #2, etc. judging by the sign stating 1420-1430 on a very small stretch of offices there (I could be wrong, no idea what's behind this building up front beyond satellite view, it could be the building in the back). No sign for commercial media, but who's to say how up to date street view is there or if they even have a sign.

Hard to say. Interested in what @Spencer finds out. Ask how long they have been there and if they have been in the business prior to this. Mike really talked them up like they were a big time datacenter that had been around for years and had a lot of high profile clients. That's the big part I'm not sold on, but I obviously don't want to miss out on a good deal if they are legit. That's why I seem so interested in this. If it seems too good to be true it usually is, but man would I hate to miss the boat ;)

• @Spencer find out information such as who have they been in business with, why we've never heard of them; why there isnt an easy ordering feature on their site... etc.

Curious, you may just walk into a trap and die ;(!

• Oh also ask them why they don't have an SSL certificate on their whmcs... Hopefully my personal data is safe

• They're colocated with Reliable Hosting Services at its BWI2 site: reliablehostingservices.net/baltimore2.php

I drove by this morning on my way to work and note 1430 Joh is one of the more anonymous data centers I've visited, even by DC standards. I didn't see either firms' names or initials out front or on the building (not unusual) and with the street number missing (on purpose?) from the building, can only confirm there is a sizable generator in the back. The Cogent and Qwest lines suggest a metro network to me, but internet sources like this (datacentermap.com/usa/maryland/baltimore/commercial-media_connectivity.html) suggest other carriers might be available.

Thanked by 2jar Damian
  • Oh, they advertised 6 upstreams?

Probably meant on-net, but anyway, why not confront Mike about it?

Send him to the link to any BGP announce aggregator and ask for an explanation, simple.

@Wintereise said: Probably meant on-net, but anyway, why not confront Mike about it?

I asked, never heard a word back. I mean I'd love to be wrong but I'm caught between a great offer and that nagging feeling that something isn't right. So I'm on the edge of my seat on this one ;)

• Lol :P

Solution: Wait for someone else to not be able to resist the temptation

Thanked by 1jar
  • How long do they take to reply to an email?

• @jarland when did you ask? Mike seems to reply late evening UK time (around 22:00-23:00)

• @Taz_NinjaHawk it seems they've been pretty busy the only times I've gotten emails from them is 22:00-23:00 UK Time so best to wait until then I guess

Thanked by 1Taz
    edited September 2012

@jkr1711 said: when did you ask?

I wanna say about 2-3 weeks ago. He e-mailed me, I responded describing our business. Then me & Ryan had about a 30 minute phone call with him a few days later. He really talked up the datacenter as if it was a long standing operation that had a lot of high profile clients. I can't recall the exact words to that and whether they were specific to that nature or if my mind filled in what I thought to be the implication of his statements.

I do recall him laughing a bit when I said we were using FDC. He said to me that he couldn't compete with FDC nor did he want to. Perfectly reasonable, but then a few weeks later he sent me an offer that makes FDC look overpriced. The deals listed here so far are all a bit higher than what he offered, but still equally as suspicious to me given his tone during our conference. It was at that point I responded and said that I thought his offer was amazing, but I'd like to know how he got down to that price point after talking up the datacenter so well, and asked for the AS#. I was polite about it, just curious as I suspect anyone would be.

@jarland said: I wanna say about 2-3 weeks ago. He e-mailed me, I responded describing our business. Then me & Ryan had about a 30 minute phone call with him a few days later. He really talked up the datacenter as if it was a long standing operating that had a lot of high profile clients. I can't recall the exact words to that and whether they were specific to that nature or if my mind filled in what I thought to be the implication of his statements.

I do recall him laughing a bit when I said we were using FDC. He said to me that he couldn't compete with FDC nor did he want to. Perfectly reasonable, but then a few weeks later he sent me an offer that makes FDC look overpriced. The deals listed here so far are all a bit more higher than what he offered, but still equally as suspicious to me given his tone during our conference. It was at that point I responded and said that I thought his offer was amazing, but I'd like to know how he got down to that price point after talking up the datacenter so well, and asked for the AS#. I was polite about it, just curious as I suspect anyone would be.

If it was cheaper than the 50$ dual quads, PM me. I am so going to order it, won't loose so much

• Well tomorrow is supposed to be the day my server comes online, lets see if that happens, getting worried now...

• From what I have heard (from 2 people now) is that the delivey day comes and goes, you chase, it gets delayed further and so on. Hopefully others have better luck.

@Zen said: Just another VolumeDrive waiting to happen - which for the price isn't bad. But I wouldn't put anything of worth on a server there.

Jack wouldn't agree with you.

• Well I just sent off an email asking how my order was going...waiting for a reply. Last contact from Mike was yesterday:

"Hi John,

I just checked.

There are about 18 servers in the queue. We should be to your order on
    Wednesday so we'll have your server set up by Thursday.

Thanks,
    Mike"

I think we're on the verge of Volumedrive v2 but if it all goes well then I can't complain about the price fingers crossed

• Expect it on Friday night...or Saturday morning. No, make that Saturday afternoon. Or evening. Maybe Sunday.

Monday, possibly.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Not the best network...

http://bgp.he.net/AS11288