Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commercialmedia? Anyone used them?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Commercialmedia? Anyone used them?

jkr1711jkr1711 Member
edited September 2012 in General

Was browsing through WHT a few days ago and saw a thread about commercialmedia, I'd never heard of them before and noticed that their site was pretty...useless. There was barely any info and no pricing/ordering pages but I was looking for a fairly low budget unmetered east coast server so I emailed them. Got a good price off Mike Jones (who seems to be the only person I ever talk to?) so I bit the bullet and ordered the server. It's due to be online by Thursday so whilst I've been waiting, I've been looking for reviews about them online but I got absolutely nowhere, not a trace (despite the domain being registered in 1998 and not due to expire until 2018...). So to put it short, has anyone used them before? I'd just like to know what to expect from them in a couple of days

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

They contacted me as well. Talked themselves up to be a big deal and then gave me a deal that makes Datashack look like LiquidWeb. That worries me.

• You will never know until you have tried your self. Since it has already been paid of, have fun!

• This is the email I got from them:

"Hello John,

Nice to meet you and thanks for your email and I have pricing details on our most recent offer.

These are two configurations that we are currently offering.

CPU: Dual 2 x 5420’s; 16 GB RAM; 1 x TB HDD or 128 SSD Samsung; 100 Mbps Unmetered; /29 for $50.00 per month (minimum 2 server commitment). CPU: Intel E3-1230 ; 16 GB RAM; 1 x TB HDD or 128 SSD Samsung; 100 Mbps Unmetered; /29 for $60.00 per month (minimum 2 server commitment).

Let me know if you are interested or ready to move forward with any of the configurations above. I’ll send you a sale order confirmation and we can put your servers in the set up queue.

Our Option Items are Below:

Upgrade from 1 TB HDD 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD – $15.00 per month

Add secondary 1 TB HDD - $15 per month

Add secondary 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD – $20.00 per month

Upgrade from 16 GB DDR3 to 32 GB DDR3 ECC Memory - $20.00

R1Soft Enterprise Agent – $350 (one time)

R1Soft Enterprise SQL Agent – $25 per month

Cisco 10/100 48 port layer 3 switch - $25 per month

Upgrade to 1Gbps port - $20 per month @ 5000GB monthly transfer

Upgrade to 4 port 0/1/10 hardware raid controller –$25 per month

Upgrade to 4 port 0/1/5/6/10 hardware raid controller – $40 per month

Upgrade to 1TB 7200RPM SAS - $20 per month

Add secondary 1TB 7200RPM SAS - $30 per month

Upgrade to 2TB 7200RPM SAS - $20 per month

Add secondary 2TB 7200RPM SAS - $40 per month

Upgrade to 3TB 7200RPM SAS - $60 per month

Add secondary 3TB 7200RPM SAS - 500GB 7200RPM SAS - $70 per month

Thanks,

Mike"

Customized the server a bit but that pricing is certainly tasty. Fingers crossed that they're good

• @Taz_NinjaHawk Yeah that's their site

• Rather cheap.

• Post that one "Fuck you, Baltimore!" video here.

Yeah, that site looks too simplistic.

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited September 2012

Ask @lele0108

• Looks nice. Keep us uptodate with your experience.

• I am going down to get a tour of their DC soon. I live about hour and half away from them.

• I have servers ordered, none delivered so far D:

• How long have you been waiting for?

• Why is it that datacenters have the oldest most out dated websites with no real information on them?

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited September 2012

About 5 days ago. Calling them once I get home. They do answer phones.

Can't say much, since the rate I get the servers are insanely cheap. Also, just a note, both servers are customized with extra RAM and disks, so that might be why.

• They told me about 1-2 days ago that they're 2 weeks out on 1230 orders with 50+ orders to fill, I guess it might take a while since they offer at such a low price.

• They no pick up phones now, and they are one day behind the time they gave me for setup.

• And 50+ orders sounds sketchy, because my invoice was like #24 and #33.

edited September 2012

I would be careful about ordering from them. The deal they gave me was less than any of the ones you guys have listed. I'm not listing it because I don't want to tempt people. I asked for their AS number after they claimed to have 6 upstream providers, no response since. Matching company name found lists 2 upstream providers, and their test IP is registered to level3. This is all after they talked themselves up on the phone as a really big, quality, non-cheap datacenter. Talked with mike on the phone for probably around a half hour. The pieces don't add up yet. I'm not saying they won't add up and prove me wrong, but be careful.

Another interesting note was that they came to me. Unsolicited email. I'll forgive it, doesn't bother me, but it's noteworthy.

• VictorVictor Member
    edited September 2012

Has anyone taken a tour of their DC?

EDIT: Just noticed their pricing seem to be different by +- $5 on all emails, including my own.

• Got this from Mike:

Hi Jimmy,

I will check.

We had a new shipment of serves coming in today. We were expecting 40 but only 26 came. I’m checking to see where your server is in the queue.

Thanks,
    Mike

Yay cogent and qwest, and why did the test IP they gave me belong to level3?

• @jarland Are cogent and qwest good networks to have?

edited September 2012

In the mix, sure. As the only two when they told me they have six, not as good as promised. Qwest isn't bad IMO I'm just wondering where the other 4 are...

• @liam said: To be fair, I have to admit; I spoke with Mike last year when I was considering putting a server on the east coast.

Yea, I spoke with Mike as well, seems like it's a family business as most of the stuff are registered to Chris Jones while Mike Jones is shown as secretary. I might get a server from them for testing once they finish their current queue.

• Some things sound a bit fishy; outdated site for what you'd expect for a budget provider, not many reviews, long domain life.... I'm unsure, I hope it's legit.

• I know others that have servers with them.

My own experience of ordering was terrible and after the long delays, broken promises and server being delivered with only half the ram I asked for, I didn't even bother logging in and requested a refund. Still waiting on that, actually.

• That looks pretty good if it's legit, going to give them a call later on.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Okey, those are some really nice deals... That won't pay out to them even in 2 years (the e3's)

• qWest is great enough to cover for Cogent's shortcomings, I see no problem with the net for the price you'll be paying.

Thanked by 1klikli