Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YourVZ.com ceasing operations??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

YourVZ.com ceasing operations??

littleguylittleguy Member
edited September 2012 in General

Just received this email:

Hi

>

I am sorry to inform you that the IP range that we are using is beeing revoked by the upstream provider due to exessive abuse by the users.

>

YourVZ.com will be deadpool in 24 hours as the ip network is being terminated.

>

Please make backups of your servers to prevent data lose.

>
>

Regards

>

Justin

Doesn't sound very good, pretty shitty business practice if he is just gonna withold all the customers any further service.

Comments

• 24 hour? WHF @ZEn

• Got the same email. I paid for a year up front....have sent Justin an email reply but have yet to get anything

• Yay, another runner!

• @littleguy said: is just gonna withold all the customers any further service.

Sounds like it was outside of his control....

• edited September 2012

That sucks, never heard of them.

Cheap services attract some of the shittiest customers sometimes, it sucks that abuse couldn't be handled and they have to shut down.

Time to find a new provider! There are a ton of well established ones that are capable of providing solid services. I'd check out SecureDragon, I use them and they're great so far. Of course, everyone seems to like BuyVM and a few other brands seem to 'stand above' the rest.

ninja edit

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@littleguy said: Doesn't sound very good, pretty shitty business practice if he is just gonna withold all the customers any further service.

May just not have the funds to recover if the other side to this story is what that e-mail makes it out to be.

• @littleguy happen to have your vps ip? Wondering if it is OVH/Kimsufi .

• @Damian said: Sounds like it was outside of his control....

Surely there are better ways than closing up and letting customers lose all their data with 24 hours notice.

@judouk said: I paid for a year up front

I had two boxes that just renewed also. :(

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Yeah I'd like to see who owns the IPs as well.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: @littleguy happen to have your vps ip? Wondering if it is OVH/Kimsufi .

No, it's Hostnoc. Here's the block my IP was in:
    http://whois.domaintools.com/184.22.204.0

• @littleguy said: Surely there are better ways than closing up and letting customers lose all their data with 24 hours notice.

Some won't even see that notice, it's too short of a warning. There are email accounts that I use that I only check every other day or so. I'd notice my server was down before I notice a random email in my inbox.

• Don't a lot of burstnet LEB companies fail?

• Burstnet is very scrict with abuse and once you get suspended there are small chances of getting backups even if you beg them like there is no tomorrow.

So they are kicking them off burstnet, not actually loosign their IP space. As far as I know burstnet does not lease IP space seperately.

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited September 2012

Spammer hosting (escalation)

It's quite interesting to see all the mayhem gonig on around your subnet, I was just hosting a tiny vpn tunnel to watch Hulu. :)

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL124157

• Doesn't sound right. Burstnet will not shut some one down with first and single notice and overnight. Something is fishy. Really fishy.

With their pricing, I can only assume it was a pump and dump.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: With their pricing, I can only assume it was a pump and dump.

It could be. I jumped on almost exactly a year ago when they had some LEB promotion, and I guess a lot of people renewed their service for another year this month.

• @Damian said: Sounds like it was outside of his control....

Sounds more like he didn't keep a clean house and thus had the IPs/servers revoked, something completely within his control. Until we know more than just a few vague lines it's hard to know how much is his fault, and how much is the upstream provider being unreasonable.

• @MannDude said: ninja edit

Hey Copyrighted :P!

@ZEN are reading baby?

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited September 2012

@Jack said: have you got the mail headers from which server it was sent from?

originating ip is same block as yourvz.com points to, so there is no doubt the mail is authentic

• I haven't had that experience and I usually take 48 hours to respond to any Abuse reports, Unless it's a blacklisted IP but spamcop reports the Spammy IPs before the DC is even close.(We're usually a day ahead).

US BurstNET probably has more strict rules, and obviously if they are renting then burst has more control.

@apollo15 said: Burstnet is very scrict with abuse and once you get suspended there are small chances of getting backups even if you beg them like there is no tomorrow.

• @Jacob but kicking users out for a single violation like that? Sounds like owner didn't even bother to explain his situation (i.e his business model etc).

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: but kicking users out for a single violation like that? Sounds like owner didn't even bother to explain his situation (i.e his business model etc).

Most likely it was not a single violation.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @Jack said: Getting a /23 listed on spamhaus is enough to boot them out tho lmao!

Getting a /23 listed should not be possible with a single violation. Sounds more like some one wasn't taking care of things and was only after making lazy money.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited September 2012

tos from yourvz

Bulk Commercial EmailBulk commercial email, mailing lists and email reflectors are allowed on YourVZ.com's servers, we do however allow a maximum of 1500 emails per hour per account. For any emails sent from your YourVZ.com account you must adhere to the following rules:

a) Your intended recipients have given their consent to receive e-mail via some affirmative means, such as an opt-in procedure;
    b) Your procedures for soliciting consent include reasonable means to ensure that the person giving consent is the owner of the e-mail address for which the consent is given;
    c) You may not obscure the source of your e-mail in any manner.
    d) You otherwise comply with the CAN SPAM Act and other applicable law.

These policies apply to messages sent using your YourVZ.com service, or to messages sent from any network by you or any person on your behalf that directly or indirectly refer the recipient to a site hosted via your YourVZ.com service. In addition, you may not use a third party e-mail service that does not practice similar procedures for all its customers.

Unsolicited E-Mail
    You may not send any unsolicited e-mail, either in bulk or individually, to any person who has indicated that they do not wish to receive it. You must comply with the rules of any other network you access or participate in using your YourVZ.com's services.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited September 2012

Its nice to see BurstNet is actively working to resolve these issues, im sure there used to be one from 2008/2009 on there a few months ago :)

However it would have been nice for YourVZ to at least spell check there email.

• really 1500 emails per hour per account? if you had 23 accounts sending 1500 emails? Damn even if it was legal advertising, I am sure that even legitimate mailings get flagged as spam by spamcops or spamhaus once in a while.

• How do you end up being with these hosts?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited September 2012

I didn't read it, but the pictures entertained me, Good read pictures.

Now time to watch some Gold Rush! Just downloaded S2.