Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to setup VPS hosts, without cost?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to setup VPS hosts, without cost?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited September 2012 in Help

I'm wondering what would be the best way to setup a VPS host. (As in, buy dedi, setup hypervisor, do VPS). I only want to pay the price of the dedi, and nothing more (solusvm cost etc.)

I was thinking of using Proxmox VE for it. But that does not do IPv6.
Are there more software packages that are free/FLOSS that do this? (Both Openvz and kvm?)
Or is there a tool which just does KVM, or xen? What would be the best way to set this up?

I just want to host some VPS's for myself, not start a business.

Comments

• You could look into using virt-manager, its a gui application which can do xen and kvm.

Could also use xenserver.

• archipel could be interesting.

• Proxmox is always free?

• For OpenVZ there's always ovz-web panel.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2012

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3497
    IPv6 works on proxmox. Just not in the GUI, should be setup manually at CLI.
    M

• OpenVZ is easy enough to use to not really "need" a control panel at all IMHO.

Thanked by 2Taz Infinity
  • You could try out cloudmin gpl. There is a xen and kvm version. I actually use it at my work for provisioning employee vps'es and it works quiite nicely... has some nice builtin kvm templaes as well... as far as its suitability for running a vps business, well you'd have to make that judgment it does have a user-facing interface.. however it does have that webmin feel which you may or may not like ...

• The free Vmware ESXi is easy to setup, and it supports almost any operating system. The hypervisor is better than KVM, at least on Windows. The only drawback is: you cannot use software Raid (but you can create a Raid at the guest OS level, if you really need it). This is not a issue if the server has a single drive, or if you use SSD drives and you think that solid state technology is reliable enough.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

You can just do the things from the console. This is how it is doen on my side for the VPS that are internally used.

• Console route seems to be the most efficient. Is it hard to get OpenVZ and KVM in a kernel like Proxmox does?

• @Raymii said: Console route seems to be the most efficient. Is it hard to get OpenVZ and KVM in a kernel like Proxmox does?

Nope, check the respective websites for a download

• @jhadley I mean, in the same kernel?

• @Zen said: Proxmox all the way, you'll love it.

some ppl complain about low Disk I/O in Proxmox ??

• Have not had that yet. Running a few atlassian products on a proxmox host as centos vm's, but that thing has 8 SSD's in it...

• I don't want a business ;)

Thanked by 1Randy
  • If you don't want to do that from the console...

We use Cloudmin GPL.
    It's free, it's stable, it supports IPv6.
    It should do the job for you.

• Archipel.

• @hostdog said: We use Cloudmin GPL

hmm.. OpenVZ is not supported in the Cloudmin GPL
    Also i didn't see any screenshot or demo.. did i missed it somewhere?

XCP...
    M

• Already love openvz web panel...

• only Xen :)

@Pats said: only Xen :)

need nothing more :P
    M

• You can try HyperVM.