Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ISPs in your area and how good/crap they are
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ISPs in your area and how good/crap they are

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited September 2012 in General

AKA "rant about your crappy ISP here".

Here in Carmel, Indiana, we have:

1. AT&T - Slow as hell DSL, even if you are next to the central office. I was barely 0.5mi from the central office and I only got 400kbps-1mbps download on a 3mbps plan! However, their cap is pretty decent (150GB DSL, 250GB U-verse, overage $10 per 50GB).

2. Bright House Networks - Basically, Time Warner Cable with a different name painted over it. I have them, it's usually pretty fast but has the occasional burps of slow speed. Their support is OK, if you get the Bright House office it's really great, if you get the "Road Runner national helpdesk" it's absolute crap.

3. Local ISPs (On-Ramp Indiana, etc.) - Re-sellers of AT&T with a huge markup.

How about ISPs in your area?

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• L.A, Time warner cable: the worst.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited September 2012

VirginMedia - 10Mbps Plan, They double/triple it(I just was able to achieve 38Mbps). Apart from the superhub issues, they are pretty amazing.

• Also in Indiana, posting from Cinergy's Metronet.

It's okay. Internet was out earlier and dude came and looked at the box outside (Fiber) and fixed it within 30-40minutes.

It's usually faster, but streaming music via YouTube on the 360 right now.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited September 2012

On Virgin Media (UK), got free upgrade from 10mb to 30mb even though I don't really need it. Always get more though on average 31mb/s so very happy

Upload speed is crap compared to others but I've grown with it now

• @Jack said: have been with them since 2006

We've been with them since the NTL days. 256kbit was awesome.

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited September 2012

Ontario. Canada has Third World internet service.

Bell and Rogers are both horrible. Bad speed:dollar ratio, and capped to hell. The only way to get decent uncapped service is to use a small company like TekSavvy or Distributel who are reselling the big boys, usually at a competitive price, but at the expense of sacrificing diversity of plans, or upstream speed. If the government would actually allow competition...

EDIT: Actually, a funny story. I'm from the US. When I first moved here, the concept of capped internet was utterly foreign to me, so I used the internet like I was used to. Thankfully Rogers capped overages back then at 50 bucks (it's 100 now-- and they lowered the caps to fuck Netflix subscribers), or we would have had a 500 dollar internet bill.

• CiriumCirium Member
    edited September 2012

Shaw (Canada) 50mbps (1TB cap/mo) $40/mo

100% stable. Great ISP.

• I have Comcast (South Florida), a bit over $100/mo with taxes for phone, tv, and internet. I get 1.8MB/s down and no real problems. There's a 250gb cap that's currently suspended and has been for months, I've done 333gb so far this month, and 906gb in July and they haven't said a word :P.

• Depends on where I am:

Back in my own country, it's $50 for 1mbit/s, pretty much. Lol SEA, meh.

Here, $90, Gigabit Fiber from NTT.

• @Kairus said: I have Comcast (South Florida), a bit over $100/mo with taxes for phone, tv, and internet. I get 1.8MB/s down and no real problems. There's a 250gb cap that's currently suspended and has been for months, I've done 333gb so far this month, and 906gb in July and they haven't said a word :P.

For that price and speed, I'd just use public WiFi. The speeds at the Ft. Lauderale airport on their free WiFi was insanely fast, much more so than what I get at home.

But if it's reliable and they don't enforce those caps, sounds good.

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited September 2012

Charter Communications here. Signed up for a 30mbps plan but getting anywhere from 40 - 80 mbps.

• I have Bright House and they are absolutely terrible! When I am downloading a file and as soon as I hit my max down speed, my router provided by them reboots. Get's very annoying! However, sometimes it can be quite reliable. :)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2012

Mine is reasonably good, although do I need it all this? Probably not.

Not sure how attachments work but speed test says 105mb down and 4.97 up

• @stormvz My friend has Virgin Media and he gets 100Mbps/Down and 20mbps/up. Virgin Media has CRAZY speeds in the UK!

• Well we actually have a lot of providers.

DSL - KPN etc. (used them since dial-up, then ADSL, then left to cable)
    Cable - UPC (120Mbit down, 10Mbit up, leaving them for Fiber next year)
    Fiber - Concepts ICT (100/100 or 500/500)

• @stormvz My friend has Virgin Media and he gets 100Mbps/Down and 20mbps/up. Virgin Media has CRAZY speeds in the UK!

20mb up? nah.....

• I just want to have Google Fiber...

• I heard that AT&T botched UVerse capping, so they don't even track how much internets you use.

:D

• @Dionysus no need for Swedes when you have Dutchmen.

• @MannDude said: For that price and speed, I'd just use public WiFi. The speeds at the Ft. Lauderale airport on their free WiFi was insanely fast, much more so than what I get at home.

Why is that? It's $100/mo for internet, tv, and phone. Not the best deal, but definitely not bad for what I get. The only alternative is some pretty bad AT&T DSL.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

Cobridge. It's been down for about a year. They still bill us. I pay, hoping one day it'll be what it used to, because 3G is useless here and there is no alternative other than moving. In the process of doing just that. I'm moving because of Internet. Property value should tank here from this. Fifteen minutes from a decent town and satellite is actually worth considering.

Used to be Charter. They gave me 30mbit with almost no downtime. Then they sold to cobridge who claims to have sold to fidelity...which I think is actually just still them and they sort of "bought" themselves.

• @jarland said: Used to be Charter. They gave me 30mbit with almost no downtime. Then they sold to cobridge who claims to have sold to fidelity...which I think is actually just still them and they sort of "bought" themselves.

Sounds similar to what happened here.

We were TWC from 1992 until 2003 when Bright House "bought" the market (which was really just Advance/Newhouse, owners of BHN, buying part of the market here in Carmel).

• @MannDude said: Also in Indiana, posting from Cinergy's Metronet.

Where in Indiana? I've been in Carmel my whole life. Let the rich people jokes begin. :P

• @Shane_Elmore said: Where in Indiana? I've been in Carmel my whole life. Let the rich people jokes begin. :P

Born / raised in southern Indiana. Any further south and you're in Kentucky. (right on the Ohio river). Though I did spend a few years living in Bloomington. Also, about to move out of state in the next couple days so I'll be leaving the Hoosier state.

Carmel is a nice area, it's been forever since I've been up that way though. I usually only go to Indy for the airport or the occasional random night of fun in the city.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2012

Since 2003 or so, cap is not admitted on land lines anymore because of the huge abuses with overage.
    On mobile also very few ppl are still doing it (except the mobile internet for the phone itself) or they are out of market because ppl remember the last abuses.
    I am using those connections fro Tor exit nodes and pay like 10 Eur each, first is vDSL 30/6 second fttb with supposedly 100/100. Both include free unlimited CDMA/GSM with the second actually also offering free unlimited on the phone. Phone subscription is 2 Eur with unlimited calls in the network, be it landline or mobile.
    Internet in Romania has a checkered history with times when it was 100 dollars a 4 K leased line when 512 kbps (huge at the time) was 20 dollars in Estonia, for example.
    ppl banded up together and thousands of small ISPS mushroomed from that and many are serious players now. Cut-throat competition...
    M

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@ElliotJ said: We've been with them since the NTL days. 256kbit was awesome.

Same here, we've had them since our first internet connection. And yeah, I remember Cable & Wireless and all that.

• bamnaelbamnael Member
    edited September 2012

Here in germany I pay ~30$ for DSL with 12Mbit down (could be 16Mbit but the DSLAM is too far away).
    I could get cable for the same price much faster but then I would have a static ip.
    With dsl I get a dynamic ip; which means I reconnect in like five seconds and can continue downloading from freehosters.

Are your cable ISPs with static ip you cannot change easily?

• Nope, back when I had Cable with StarHub it was dynamic IP. Now on a fibre service with MyRepublic (100 Down, 50 Up) at $59/month with a Static IP. (I got mine free for a year though).

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited September 2012
  • @bamnael stop being cheap and just buy an account with the OCH for 10$/month and enjoy a better speed than 50 kbit, no more reconnects and the ability to upgrade to faster cable internet?

For me it's either 50/10mbit DSL from the Telekom for 40€/month or 150/5mbit Cable for 35€/month.

The difference is even worse for my parents house... They can get 1mbit/s DSL or 150mbit/s cable.