Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh no! My free VPS is going away! (my what?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oh no! My free VPS is going away! (my what?)

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited September 2012 in General

Got this email today. Um, my what? Never had service with them.

Hi,

This is to inform you that due to abuse/spam we will be discontinuing the free vps service on 28 September 2012. Please take backup of your data before that.

Regards,

Amanah Support

Comments

• LOL I just got one, haven't the foggiest either.

• What company did it come from?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The world needs to know, and you're part of it. Pass it on to your contact list!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Damian said: What company did it come from?

http://www.amanah.com/

• It's obvious it was a scam to get customers. It's typical to use spam as an excuse. LET has seen this many times.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

what others really free do you know besides host1free ?
    I never had one with amanah, but was ready to try when i had some time.
    M

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

@DanielM said: It's obvious it was a scam to get customers. It's typical to use spam as an excuse. LET has seen this many times.

Mmmhmmm @DreamServers. I got that e-mail too even though I didn't have anything..

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited September 2012

@Infinity said: LET has seen this many times.

More recently we have FortaTrust? I think only one of the LET memebers got the free server from them.

• It wasn't spam it was newsletters ami right?

• Same here, I got trapped by maxmind and created a ticket which was never replied back in March and now they sent me this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @raindog308 just request your login data from amanah.com, you still have one week to play with vps

edited September 2012

@nocom said: @raindog308 just request your login data from amanah.com, you still have one week to play with vps

What's the point in that?

• I got this email too. I DID have service with them, before they decided to delete everyone's account to make them sign up again. For what reason, I don't remember.

• Amanah is run by retards, who are clueless at best.

And yeah, childish ploy to get clients that ended with them getting a lot of bad press at WHT, iirc.

• Very unprofessional at best.

@Jeffrey said: Very unprofessional at best.

Well, who didn't expect it?

• IIRC that was the company that was listed by @96mb

• The free vps terminated looong time ago.
    Annoucement email are just couple months late. /sarcasm

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think they terminated them and restarted, now it looks like going down for good.
    M

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited September 2012

Unmetered 100TB? Isnt that... Metered 100TB? :S!

Looks like keyword bingo trying to get 100TB.com's sales. :)

• At least they give a notice this time around. It sucks though, because it was a decent little box.

• The free VPS offer was an effort to support smaller users by offering a temporary promotion. However, our system won't accept free email accounts (gmail, hotmail) so some people may have been rejected by the system without every getting the service.

From those who successfully registered, we found too many were abusing the service (spamming, hacking etc). If you received an email it's because you were registered, at some point, for our service. We wanted to give legitimate users the opportunity to backup their data before we started shutting down accounts.

Essentially the promotion didn't workout as well as we originally hoped. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

• @AmanahTech, alot of people are saying they never signed up with you. How is it you got there information.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AmanahTech said: However, our system won't accept free email accounts (gmail, hotmail) so some people may have been rejected by the system without every getting the service.

I use my domain, and didn't get past the maxmind check; sent a ticket and... well, you know, no response

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Never signed up. Never heard of you.

• @AmanahTech LOL at the cancellation emails. With support tickets remaining unanswered forever and VPSes already being shutdown for no reason for months, getting a cancellation email was just plain ridiculous.

• I got an email about my VPS was terminated for abuse, and I didn't even know that I got a VPS with them =)

• I was marked as fraud, and never received a reply - great work, I must say. :)

• @giang said: I got an email about my VPS was terminated for abuse, and I didn't even know that I got a VPS with them =)

it is the same thing for me :p